Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Interference vs non-interference engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interference vs non-interference engines

What's the difference? I know with interference if your timing belt snaps then it's new engine time. I'm pretty sure this is because of the valves going into the pistons. Where do they go on non-interference? Up into the head?
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

My understanding is that it has mostly to do with head and piston design. Non-interference engines have the valves recessed further in the head or located higher in the dome and they also have deeper valve reliefs in the piston. I don't think that the engine itself is designed differently in terms of function, its just a difference in engineering that focuses on specifications that will not result in valve/piston impact in the event of desynchronization.

Just a theory, but I would suspect non-interference engines tend to be lower compression than interference engines. I would also suspect that they have fewer valves than interference engines. It also would not surprise me if the cylinder displacement tends to be larger, making more room for space in the head while maintaning compression ratios. I would further suspect that interference engines have larger cams and produce significantly more power, liter for liter, versus a non-interference engine.

Comment

Really nothing other then clearance.

It is not true that the closer your piston is to your head is the only way to raise compression.Your rod,stroke and bore are the main factors.
      Hope this helps,either way your running a Honda so if your timing is off or your belt breaks,buy a head or have it re-worked.

Comment

i had a timing belt break once on my f22a1 and i put a new belt on and had 210-220 compression all the way around. my guess is that the belt snapped with the valves all closed or almost all closed, i was not aware that the belt had broken, and this was while trying to start the car. dont buy ebay timing belts

not sure how often that happens with interferance engines
        _

Comment

Originally posted by TheFirstNutZo View Post
          My understanding is that it has mostly to do with head and piston design. Non-interference engines have the valves recessed further in the head or located higher in the dome and they also have deeper valve reliefs in the piston. I don't think that the engine itself is designed differently in terms of function, its just a difference in engineering that focuses on specifications that will not result in valve/piston impact in the event of desynchronization.
          This... to an extent, most non interference engines I have rebuilt have no cutouts in the tops of the pistons. Otherwise you are correct.

Just a theory, but I would suspect non-interference engines tend to be lower compression than interference engines. I would also suspect that they have fewer valves than interference engines. It also would not surprise me if the cylinder displacement tends to be larger, making more room for space in the head while maintaning compression ratios. I would further suspect that interference engines have larger cams and produce significantly more power, liter for liter, versus a non-interference engine.
          No. No. Commonly. No.
          The two different engines can both have the same CR but non interference tend to have a much longer stroke to create that same CR. They also usually do not have a high redline. They have the same ammount of valves. The non interference L61 in my Cobalt has 16 valves just like the f22(interference engine). The only engine I know that disproves that is the Yamaha 5 valve Interference v6 engine. Displacement is usually slightly larger but as I said before it is due to stroke, not bore. Liter for liter with the same mods they can and usually will make the same amount of power.
          Call me Travis.
          2006 Cobalt LS/SC ~ "Burt the Bloody Bumble Bee"
          1992 Accord LX ~ "Smoothie"
          1991 CRX Si ~ Hellion
          1989 GMC S15 ~ Oldie

Comment

Cool, thanks for the corrections

Comment

Not true. The H22 is non-interference out of VTEC and its compression is decidedly higher than an F22 which is interference all the time.

There are a lot of factors that go into it. Like someone already mentioned, rod length, stroke, etc all factor in, as does piston design, head design and valve lift and duration.
              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Cool, thanks for the corrections
                Not a problem, I am a jack of all trades and master of none.
                Call me Travis.
                1991 CRX Si ~ Hellion
                1989 GMC S15 ~ Oldie

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                  Not true. The H22 is non-interference out of VTEC and its compression is decidedly higher than an F22 which is interference all the time.
                  Are you sure the H22 is non interference? I had a swapped CE1 in my front yard a couple years ago that jumped timing and bent two valves... I would definately consider that interference...

Edit, I remember now it didnt bent two valves it chipped a piece out of the face of the valve. Looked like when someone cuts a slice out of a fresh pie... Kinda like Pac Man.
                  Call me Travis.
                  1991 CRX Si ~ Hellion
                  1989 GMC S15 ~ Oldie

Comment

f22's bend valves, why wouldnt a h22?

at idle it just stop quicker. when you have a manual and keep the vehicle in gear. that crankshaft is spinning till you take it out of gear.

at least with a torque converter, there is "slip".
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post

at idle it just stop quicker. when you have a manual and keep the vehicle in gear. that crankshaft is spinning till you take it out of gear.

Um I am loosing you here. When did transmissions come into the conversation? That has nothing to do with engine style...

Also the crankshaft spins whenever the engine is running.
                      Call me Travis.
                      1991 CRX Si ~ Hellion
                      1989 GMC S15 ~ Oldie

Comment

you really need to do some research on "bump" starting.
                        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobalt View Post
                          Are you sure the H22 is non interference? I had a swapped CE1 in my front yard a couple years ago that jumped timing and bent two valves... I would definately consider that interference...

Edit, I remember now it didnt bent two valves it chipped a piece out of the face of the valve. Looked like when someone cuts a slice out of a fresh pie... Kinda like Pac Man.
                          Out of VTEC, the H22 is non-interference. Have done broken timing belts on many that weren't impacted with bent valves because they were not in VTEC when the belt went.

If it goes in VTEC, you are hosed.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post

The H22 does bend valves. If it is in VTEC. It has a lot less lift and duration out of VTEC, and the valve angles on the H22 are much greater.

All I know is that I have seen exactly 0 F22 t belt failures that escaped bent valves and numerous H22 failures that didn't bend a thing. Clearly, if the valves weren't bent, there was no piston to valve contact...

And sorry Wes, something that is spinning at somewhere between 13-17 times a second isn't going to stop before contact occurs. It would have to stop within 1 revolution.

Comment

I must be lucky. I have a f22a1. Recently the timing belt broke (it actually just broke about 6 teeth off the belt) at 55mph and it didnt bend any valves. We just replaced the belt and everything was fine. I must have gotten lucky.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=178069

Comment

Working...
                              X