Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

clunking sound when stopping??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clunking sound when stopping??

i can here a loud clunk when im coming to a stop every time.
    i hear it on the driver front side. what can it be?

Lower ball joint to start

Need more details on the clunk

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
      Lower ball joint to start

Need more details on the clunk
      ive notice when i jack up the car and i wiggle the driver front wheel it has alot of play so im guessing the bearing is fukd and also the upper balljoint rubber is gone

Comment

If the wheel has play, the bearing is done.

If the ball joint boot is gone, I wouldn't even risk driving the car. If that fails, you will lose control of your car.
        If the upper ball joint boot is done, the chances are good that the lower is done as well... and may very well be the cause of the clunk.

Honestly, there are many rubber parts in your suspension that have most likely failed. Any one of them could be causing a clunk.

Comment

Check if your lugs are tight...had a similar problem years ago where i thought it was bearing or ball joint but turned out to be loose lug nuts.
          1993 Accord LX - Sold
          93 BMW 525it - SOLD
          92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
          2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
          2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
          2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
          2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
          2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

i got the same deal but ive replaced all my supension stuff i almost think it could be the lateral arm or whatevs that controls caster.. i cant think of anything else it could be..

8 Accords so far:
            '81 SE Sedan(1st Gen), '83 SE Sedan(2nd Gen), '89 SE Sedan(3rd Gen)
            '89 DX Sedan(3rd Gen), '92 LX Coupe(4th Gen), '92 EX Wagon(4th Gen)
            (3rd gen parts car) I'm currently Driving a '14 Accord Sport 9th Gen

Comment

You need to do some methodical trouble shooting. Jack the car up. When you wiggle the wheel, does it move relative to the hub (this would result from loose lug nuts). If the wheel and hub move together relative to the spindle, then the bearing is shot. Take off the wheel. Can you move the spindle relative to the lower arm (lower ball joint). Does the upper end of the spindle move relative to the upper arm (upper ball joint). Is there play in the upper arm other than the direction it is supposed to move (upper arm bushings). Is the outer bushing in the lower arm (where the strut fork attaches) torn? Can you move the lower arm forward/backward (radius arm bushings).

Take a little initiative, doing some troubleshooting before asking questions cna get you better help quicker.
              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Take the simple approach. Your upper ball joint boot is gone, so that joint is likely shot. Replace it by getting a new upper control arm (like, immediately, tomorrow, don't-drive-the-car immediately), then see what changes and troubleshoot from there.

When you are wiggling the wheel, see if the upper ball joint/upper control arm is moving along with you. that would give you a 2nd clue in that it's the upper control arm/ball joint. Also, pay attention to fleetw00d's post right above. Paying close attention to detail and observing closely is the name of the GAME when it comes to diagnostics. Be willing to sit and stare at the parts for a while and "feel out" what's happening. they have a story to tell if you are willing to listen.
                Last edited by batever; 12-04-2010, 10:45 PM.

Comment

all the ball joints been messed up for the longest time already like 3+ years and the clunk sound barley just started about 3 weeks.

but pretty soon i will be doing a complete bushing/balljoints replacement

Comment

Originally posted by 809king View Post
                    all the ball joints been messed up for the longest time already like 3+ years and the clunk sound barley just started about 3 weeks.

but pretty soon i will be doing a complete bushing/balljoints replacement
                    I hope by pretty soon you mean like 1st thing tomorrow. I hope you're not the kind of guy who would get a lip, fogs, lowering springs and wheels before doing life saving maintenance.

Originally posted by lordoja
                    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

if your car has over 200k miles then I would do the wheel bearings if they're original. Mine didn't move at all when I held them at the 12 and 6o'clock and 3 and 9 oclock, but when i investigated further, mine had quite a bit of play with the spindle off and axle out, I could move the hub about 1/4". I had 209k miles on them.

I also discovered that my upper balljoint had tons of play after 75k miles only....but thats being lowered for 75k miles so there's a lot more stress caused.

Uppers with control arms cost me 56 a piece (autozone, lifetime warranty) and lowers were about 21 a piece (NAPA Made in Japan ones). I also did the tierods since they were under warranty b/c of boot cracking and they cost about 25 a piece (Some german company Karland? makes them)

Wheel bearings cost about 55 a piece (Timken @ autozone)

member's ride thread
                      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                      91 Accord SE 176k
                      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                        if your car has over 200k miles then I would do the wheel bearings if they're original. Mine didn't move at all when I held them at the 12 and 6o'clock and 3 and 9 oclock, but when i investigated further, mine had quite a bit of play with the spindle off and axle out, I could move the hub about 1/4". I had 209k miles on them.

I also discovered that my upper balljoint had tons of play after 75k miles only....but thats being lowered for 75k miles so there's a lot more stress caused.

Uppers with control arms cost me 56 a piece (autozone, lifetime warranty) and lowers were about 21 a piece (NAPA Made in Japan ones). I also did the tierods since they were under warranty b/c of boot cracking and they cost about 25 a piece (Some german company Karland? makes them)

Wheel bearings cost about 55 a piece (Timken @ autozone)
                        i got my wheel bearings for $18 brand new but haven't had time to installed them yet.. im basically waiting until i finish school this week then i will have enough time to fix my cb and buy anything else i need (balljoints,bushing etc etc)

Comment

Don't wheel bearings have to be pressed in?
                          When mine went bad it sounded like the muffler was rubbing whenever I turned to the left. It made a rubbing/roaring sound.

Hope it helps
                          MRT
                          37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                          30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                          27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                          Originally posted by Tippey764
                          I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                          Originally posted by deevergote
                          sneaky motherfucker

Comment

I bought a kit from E-Bay that had the upper arms, lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods and sway bar links for $90 shipped. The quality seems to be about as good as you'd get from Autozone and the like.

But yeah, like everyone else said, don't drive it until it's fixed!

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffMisiak View Post
                              Don't wheel bearings have to be pressed in?
                              When mine went bad it sounded like the muffler was rubbing whenever I turned to the left. It made a rubbing/roaring sound.

Hope it helps
                              Nah, these are unit bearings. Take out the axle and there are four bolts on the backside that hold the bearing in. You just pop the old one out and put the new one in.

I've always just used a brass drift to change out pressed in bearings. You just have to be careful not to get the race crooked as you seat it.

Comment

Working...
                              X