Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Replacing lower balljoint boots with poly boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing lower balljoint boots with poly boots

Well... So I tore my lower ball joint boots when I was removing them to do my brakes.

The joints are fine so I just ordered some Energy Suspension ball joint boots.

My question is how are they installed? I see the stock boots have some kind of clip to keep them on, but I cant figure out how I would go about putting the clip on these poly boots.

Thanks

im pretty sure they only get placed on (after greasing of course) and just get held on by the LCA. personally i didnt use them when i installed my kit, my rubber boots were already brand new, and they are already clipped shut...
    Last edited by cp[mike]; 11-06-2009, 07:55 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

That's exactly what Sean (93twodoorLX) did. He just packed em with grease and placed them on. It's been 2 years now, or more... and he's had no trouble that I'm aware of. He was concerned about the lack of clip at the time as well.

Comment

I never used them w/ my total kit, but Prothane makes the same thing aswell. They don't reference the c-clip groove at all, they basically just slip on and are squeezed down once the other arm is in place.

Comment

Originally posted by EJX_Michael View Post
          Well... So I tore my lower ball joint boots when I was removing them to do my brakes.

The joints are fine so I just ordered some Energy Suspension ball joint boots.

My question is how are they installed? I see the stock boots have some kind of clip to keep them on, but I cant figure out how I would go about putting the clip on these poly boots.

Thanks
          Why would you remove your lower ball joints to do your brakes? Also how old are your ball joints because if they are old and worn just change them.
          I know....I'm gunna lower it

Comment

Holy crap... 4 Mikes and a Dan.

On topic... To remove the rotors, it's often easier to remove the whole knuckle, which means the ball joint has to be popped. Tearing the boot is common.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              Holy crap... 4 Mikes and a Dan.

On topic... To remove the rotors, it's often easier to remove the whole knuckle, which means the ball joint has to be popped. Tearing the boot is common.
              on the front rotors isn't it just those 4 bolts that hold it onto the hub? This method makes no sense,i guess that's why messing up your ball joints is common.Big deal you have to remove the hub and whell bearing it's not hard I mean I'm a mechanic in a dealer and I just don't get how removing the steering knuckle makes doing the front brakes on this car easier.
              Last edited by MIKEYZCB7; 11-06-2009, 10:13 PM.
              I know....I'm gunna lower it

Comment

I have the boots to do my uca lca and tierods. They go on this winter so I'll post in this thread how it goes. Is it sad that all of my boots are torn? lol.

Comment

if he was doing a front brake job and need new rotors or rotors turned, unless you have the tool or a on the car lathe you have to pull the knuckle to pull the rotor they are behind the hub, so u press out the assy with the bearing and seprate them
                  Just pack it full of grease and put it on u dont need a clip they will sandwich in the knuckle

Comment

Originally posted by 3tcRob View Post
                    if he was doing a front brake job and need new rotors or rotors turned, unless you have the tool or a on the car lathe you have to pull the knuckle to pull the rotor they are behind the hub, so u press out the assy with the bearing and seprate them
                    Just pack it full of grease and put it on u dont need a clip they will sandwich in the knuckle
                    somewhat true, ive done it with a slide hammer and a offset wrench. i run the poly boots on the project car.
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by MIKEYZCB7 View Post
                      on the front rotors isn't it just those 4 bolts that hold it onto the hub? This method makes no sense,i guess that's why messing up your ball joints is common.Big deal you have to remove the hub and whell bearing it's not hard I mean I'm a mechanic in a dealer and I just don't get how removing the steering knuckle makes doing the front brakes on this car easier.
                      The 4 bolts on the face of the rotor only hold the rotor to the hub. From what I've read, its less damaging to the wheel bearing to get behind the knuckle and remove the 4 10mm 12pt bolts, then putting longer bolts in the holes and pounding the whole hub and bearing out. To do this you have to remove the LBJ and take the axle out. I didn't even remove the knuckle, I just swung the whole thing outwards on the tie rod.

It would have been fine to just push the axle in and get the 12pt bolts out with a wrench, but I knew I wouldn't have been able to on my car because the brakes hadn't been changed in at least 5 years. It took a 4 ft breaker bar just for me to get them out with a socket. The bolts were dry and rusty, even after coating everything in free-all.

Next time though I'll try it with a wrench and slide hammer.

Thanks to everyone for the help. My LBJs are fine, its just the fact that I tore the boots and wanted to keep dirt from getting into the grease and drying up.
                      Last edited by EJX_Michael; 11-08-2009, 05:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MIKEYZCB7 View Post
                        The rotors do not simply come off when you remove those 4 bolts. Changing the front rotors on our cars is actually quite involved. Check the DIY section for various methods on how to do it, and you'll see what I mean.

Comment

I didnt use mine because they were awful. I just bought all new ball joints.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            The rotors do not simply come off when you remove those 4 bolts. Changing the front rotors on our cars is actually quite involved. Check the DIY section for various methods on how to do it, and you'll see what I mean.
                            I can vouch for this. I ended up having to use a press to get them out and managed to ruin the bearing in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by F22HB View Post
                              I can vouch for this. I ended up having to use a press to get them out and managed to ruin the bearing in the process.
                              Yeah... I ruined one of my bearings hammering it out too.

Comment

Working...
                              X