Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Bolt stuck to stud.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bolt stuck to stud.

Ok so i was going to take my valve cover off to repaint it,and got the two front nuts and the right rear nut off,i got the the rear left bolt and because to loose it.Then i noticed the whole entire stud was going out along with the bolt.It seems the nut has gotten stuck to the stud somehow..how would i go about fixing this?

spoonsportsaddict

Originally posted by JDMchristian991 View Post
    Ok so i was going to take my valve cover off to repaint it,and got the two front nuts and the right rear nut off,i got the the rear left bolt and because to loose it.Then i noticed the whole entire stud was going out along with the bolt.It seems the nut has gotten stuck to the stud somehow..how would i go about fixing this?

it's hard to explain but you'd probably be able to do it with a second nut of the same size/threading. once you remove the VC, somehow get the second nut from the opposite end of the stud, reverse it all the way up to the acorn nut. now re-insert it into the head and tighten it down by using the acorn nut. that second nut will now allow you to be able to remove that acorn nut from the top by holding it with a wrench but while still being able to tighten down the stud and to remove that second nut afterwards.

i hope that makes sense, if not i guess i could make a drawing.

[edit] you know what? after thinking about it for a moment, i wonder if the VC stud is similar to the exhaust manifold studs? it's threaded the majority of it's body BUT it has a smooth spot in the center so you know where to stop, if that's the case, then my idea above might not work.
    Last edited by Leung; 02-27-2009, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Like this...

Not sure if it'd help, but it seems to be similiar to what you're talking about Leung. Just, put the bottom bolt all the way to the bottom, get it threaded, and hold the bottom bolt with a wrench.

edit: Might not work, since to loosen...they go the same direction. Crap. There's gotta be a way.
      Last edited by Gotz Cb7; 02-27-2009, 04:36 PM.
      98' Mustang 3V Swap
      11' VW CC R36

Comment

just remove the valve cover with the stud still "attached" to it. then you can put a wrench on the bottom of the stud to hold it, and just remove the nut with 2 hands.

and as for threading a second nut, i guess none of you are familiar with how the vc studs look, because its a very short 10mm stud on top, followed by a thick shaft, and a 12mm hex "nut" and post at the bottom. it would be impossible to even fit 2 nuts onto the stud, even if you tried it from the same end.
        Last edited by cp[mike]; 02-27-2009, 04:40 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

If you got the Valve cover off, then you should be ok. The dual nut idea would not work since the VC nuts are closed-ended.

You can install the stud back into the head/rocker assembly and I believe it has a 10mm bolt base. Hold w a wrench and hit a rachet on the top nut. Shouldnt be torqued hard, they usually break instead of getting stuck.

Formerly 91AccordExR33
          11.68 @ 127mph
          417whp/375wtq
          Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
            just remove the valve cover with the stud still "attached" to it. then you can put a wrench on the bottom of the stud to hold it, and just remove the nut with 2 hands.

and as for threading a second nut, i guess none of you are familiar with how the vc studs look, because its a very short 10mm stud on top, followed by a thick shaft, and a 12mm hex "nut" and post at the bottom. it would be impossible to even fit 2 nuts onto the stud, even if you tried it from the same end.
            So your saying to go ahead and take the whole stud out,correct?Then ones its out thread the stud back in after i get the nut off the top

spoonsportsaddict

Comment

Originally posted by Boost_Lee View Post
              If you got the Valve cover off, then you should be ok. The dual nut idea would not work since the VC nuts are closed-ended.

You can install the stud back into the head/rocker assembly and I believe it has a 10mm bolt base. Hold w a wrench and hit a rachet on the top nut. Shouldnt be torqued hard, they usually break instead of getting stuck.
              I never got the valve cover off.I was the stud coming up and just quit there.

spoonsportsaddict

Comment

Originally posted by JDMchristian991 View Post
                So your saying to go ahead and take the whole stud out,correct?Then ones its out thread the stud back in after i get the nut off the top
                correct, remove the 3 nuts the regular way, and the 4th will come up, since youre "unscrewing" the entire post by using the stuck acorn nut.

its very simple to just reinstall in place before you put the valve cover back on...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                Current cars:
                - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Working...
                X