Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Wheel Bearings problem (everything apart)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel Bearings problem (everything apart)

Hi,

first: I do understand how to test the wheel bearings when everything is together.

But: I just ripped everything apart in order to change the break rotors. The problem is that the two bearings feel totally different:

- one has a slight play when I wiggle it and it turns more easily but still with some resistance

- the other one has no play and makes a slight sound when turned. It turns with a lot more resistance

What is your feeling about this? Could it be I damaged one of them when I got them out? Which one would need replacement? or both?

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by ATLaccord; 01-19-2009, 05:49 PM.

what kind of noise did they make while on the car? bearings typically make a humming sound when they go bad. later.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

They were OK on the car. My feeling is I might have screwed up one or both when getting them out of the knuckle.

The one with more resistance is making something like a humming sound now
      Last edited by ATLaccord; 01-19-2009, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Then your bearings are toast.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
        1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
        2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
        2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
        2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
        2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

personally, id replace both.

while its odd that both show different symptoms, it sounds like both arent in a condition to be used. especially the one that is already loose, which shows that its already had time to wear. the other one sounds like it may be showing the initial signs of failing, going stiff and humming i would think would be dry/bad which would lead to wear and eventual looseness.

either way, now that you have it all apart, wouldnt you feel more comfortable replacing both? if you guess and reuse one of them, youll be kicking yourself when you have to pull that side all apart again in a few months, and end up paying the same money for both anyway.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Ok I got two new bearings. Now I need to find a machine shop in ATL...

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
              personally, id replace both.

while its odd that both show different symptoms, it sounds like both arent in a condition to be used. especially the one that is already loose, which shows that its already had time to wear. the other one sounds like it may be showing the initial signs of failing, going stiff and humming i would think would be dry/bad which would lead to wear and eventual looseness.

either way, now that you have it all apart, wouldnt you feel more comfortable replacing both? if you guess and reuse one of them, youll be kicking yourself when you have to pull that side all apart again in a few months, and end up paying the same money for both anyway.
              Yea, what he said. No, for realz, I agree 100%.
              HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Working...
              X