Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Can I drill and bolt down the M/T bracket instead of welding??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I drill and bolt down the M/T bracket instead of welding??

Ok fellas, Im in the middle of my f22 auto to manual swap and Im having a hell of a time trying to get some one to weld for me. I can weld myself but most welders out there uses 220volts. I was told that a welder that uses 110volts would not be sufficient for what Im trying to do. I was thinking If I can drill into the bracket and side of the fenderwell I should be able to bolt on this bracket instead of welding? I would like to know your opinion on this situation.

Originally posted by plee3 View Post
    Ok fellas, Im in the middle of my f22 auto to manual swap and Im having a hell of a time trying to get some one to weld for me. I can weld myself but most welders out there uses 220volts. I was told that a welder that uses 110volts would not be sufficient for what Im trying to do. I was thinking If I can drill into the bracket and side of the fenderwell I should be able to bolt on this bracket instead of welding? I would like to know your opinion on this situation.
    A bolt is only going to give you a small area of support, and could end up breaking out. The more surface area you cover with the weld spreads the PSI of the weight you are trying to hold. When the motor is off there's not much to it, but when you hammer the gas that PSI jumps more than double motor weight. You need as much surface area connecte as you can get. I would definately weld it.
    My inferiority complex isn't as good as yours.

Comment

Why don't you rent a gas powered welder/generator? Something like this
      Last edited by AbsurdNY; 10-21-2008, 02:17 PM.

PARTING OUT MY 1990 EX COUPE!! EVERYTHING FOR SALE! CLICK HERE
      Listen or download the first 4 songs I completed for my new upcoming album here!!
      My member's ride

Comment

You might as well zip tie the damn thing in there, its going to rip like its nothing.
        1993 Accord EX
        2011 Subaru STi

Comment

Originally posted by tonymontana1204 View Post
          You might as well zip tie the damn thing in there, its going to rip like its nothing.
          You all have a good point there!! LOL!! I didnt think about the tourqe thats going to be generated when i step on the gas! Im going to look into renting the gas powered welder. Thats my best bet.

Comment

Good luck. That's something you can't cheap out on.
            1993 Accord EX
            2011 Subaru STi

Comment

weld for me

Originally posted by plee3 View Post
              I have been down this road before are u talking about inside for the shifter or
              under the hood
              NO matter how many times we downshift vtec is on our side.

Comment

i thought about the same thing, using at least 4 bolts, one in each of the flat tabs...

only problem is that there is nothing solid to bolt them onto (just sheet metal), and i doubt that youd be able to get nuts onto the backside, because that area is sealed in.

welding is really the only way...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                Current cars:
                - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                  i thought about the same thing, using at least 4 bolts, one in each of the flat tabs...

only problem is that there is nothing solid to bolt them onto (just sheet metal), and i doubt that youd be able to get nuts onto the backside, because that area is sealed in.

welding is really the only way...
                  What type of welder did you guys use? 220v 0r 110v?? a few people told me that using a mig welder that accepts 110V 20amps isnt going to be strong enough to heat up the metal and fuse things together? is this correct? Im welding like and 1/8 of an inch of steel so IMO I think its strong enough. Originally this bracket was spot welded so once again IMO welding the entire surface where the bracket and inner fenderwell meet would actually would be stronger than spot welds. What are your opinions???

Comment

A decent 110 welder will do the job.

I might be thinking of a civic AT-->MT conversion here, but I thought you could use the same chassis mount, and just redrill the hole that the mount bolt goes through?

If this is the chassis mount:

----------------
                    .......................\
                    .........................\
                    ............at-> O |
                    mt-> O.............../
                    ......................./
                    ---------------"

we are talking about the right side mount correct?
                    Last edited by racerpat94; 10-21-2008, 05:56 PM.

Comment

a 110v should be fine, and just do all the edges, itll "meet or exceed" oem specs lmao.

Originally posted by racerpat94 View Post
                      A decent 110 welder will do the job.

I might be thinking of a civic AT-->MT conversion here, but I thought you could use the same chassis mount, and just redrill the hole that the mount bolt goes through?

If this is the chassis mount:

----------------
                      .......................\
                      .........................\
                      ............at-> O |
                      mt-> O.............../
                      ......................./
                      ---------------"

we are talking about the right side mount correct?
                      that works on 5th gen accords because there is enough surface area on the bracket to drill a new hole into. with ours, thats not possible.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                      Current cars:
                      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Yes i thought A 110V would do just fine. I really appreciate you guys opinion! This is very helpful. Right now I got he car in the air, axle nuts are loose (I used a rachet set thats the next size after 1/2, worked excellent) pedals switched, ECU switched, and everything off the top to get to the trans. Will keep you guys posted.

Comment

U can also Use the tranny mount from a 5 gen accord or any 92 and up prelude. I did my auto to 5 speed converstion on my 4 gen wagon, and used the 5 gen tranny mount and just shimmed the other side to level out the engine. I haven't had any problems out of it at all, but I can tell U if your car is droped og with the accord mount and not the prelude mount because with the swap it will make your engin lower by like 3/4ths of a inch if I'm not mistaken. GOOD LUCK!

OH, also depending on what mount and what tranny U have u might have to Tap the trans to use the mounts, and I found a thread on here where they sell the swap mount kits. The set of 3 mounts was like 275 i think and thier made to order so if your in a rush that isn't the way
                          Last edited by Rasta Wagon; 10-21-2008, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X