Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Drifting Left / Right Within Lane On Highway! Scary!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drifting Left / Right Within Lane On Highway! Scary!

Ok guys here's another issue: my car, at highway speeds, will slightly drift from left to right (as if a strong wind is blowing) when I am simply holding the wheel straight. This freaks me out and worries me that something is seriously wrong. Would not getting an alignment after changing my upper control arm cause/contribute to this?

Originally posted by BBuncky2 View Post
    Ok guys here's another issue: my car, at highway speeds, will slightly drift from left to right (as if a strong wind is blowing) when I am simply holding the wheel straight. This freaks me out and worries me that something is seriously wrong. Would not getting an alignment after changing my upper control arm cause/contribute to this?
    i think you look at the front end again and get an alignment now
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

It could cause this, so could bad tie rod ends, bad ball joints, over inflated tires, bad sway bar links. you can never be too safe when it comes to the front end of the car.

Comment

Seems steering problems and spark plug questions are the topics of the week.

Sounds just like the issue mine's had for well over a year now. Only things I haven't changed are the right upper control arm, the column U-joint, and the car itself
        Already watching another thread on a steering issue, I'll be watching this thread, too.
        Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

i said in another thread regarding the front end

if you car has over 100k change

bearings
          rotors
          upper and lower ball joints
          inner/outer tie rod ends
          sway bar end links and bushings
          and other related front end bushings
          alignment

now your front end will be safe and tight
          http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Mine has all that (except right upper joint. still tight, not spending more money chasing the problem), new steering rack with bushings, new axles, motor mounts tight, ride height set back to stock, different wheels/tires and pressure do make a small different but don't cure the problem, back end is tight, two alignments and two differtent shops checked it on multiple occasions.

Short story: I hate to see you spend money chasing a problem without troubleshooting. It was kinda nice to replace the original bushings and know things were knew, but I spent a lot of time and money.
            But as bobbycos said, check the front end and get an alignment. It makes sense since you just did work that can affect the alignment. Depends how much time and money you wanna spend.
            Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Blown shocks

My car had the same problem, went away after I changed my suspension

Originally posted by lordoja
              im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

been there

Mine had that same problem and it was cuz my tie rod ends had a lot of play, so if u r gona try to fix ur "drifting" problem I would recommend replacing ur tie rod ends.(jack up ur front end, shake the wheels from side to side to see if u have some play)

Comment

what's your setup and repair history?
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

dont forget to check crossmember bolts and check them around suspension mounting points for tears.
                    1990 accord Honda-Challenge, H22 powered
                    newer race video,older race videos
                    1991 accord parked, parts and back up shell
                    1993 accord acquired 6-11-16

Comment

Originally posted by bobbycos View Post
                      i think you look at the front end again and get an alignment now
                      you should be concerned, very concerned. look into it immediately.

from what I understand, not getting an alignment is most likely not the problem; if that were the problem you would be likely to have a consistent pull in one direction. I also don't think it's the sway bar. To me, it sounds like tie rod ends. I don't know how the ball joint would affect a drifting issue, but you just did the upper ball joint, right? So I would look at that as well, since you just did it. Also, look at the lower ball joint connection as you just undid that and refastened it.

Make sure the tires are inflated correctly.

I agree that you need to give a better history of the problem and your car so people can have more info to go on.
                      Last edited by batever; 10-16-2008, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by batever View Post
                        you should be concerned, very concerned. look into it immediately.

from what I understand, not getting an alignment is most likely not the problem; if that were the problem you would be likely to have a consistent pull in one direction. I also don't think it's the sway bar. To me, it sounds like tie rod ends. I don't know how the ball joint would affect a drifting issue, but you just did the upper ball joint, right? So I would look at that as well, since you just did it. Also, look at the lower ball joint connection as you just undid that and refastened it.

Make sure the tires are inflated correctly.

I agree that you need to give a better history of the problem and your car so people can have more info to go on.

Ok here's the whole history (from my log) (I'm currently at 160k miles):

122732 Suspension Replaced both front sway bar links
                        130115 Suspension Replace right drive axle
                        141800 Suspension Replace left drive axle, Replace left upper ball joint
                        156687 Suspension Replace right front wheel bearing
                        157400 Suspension Replace left front wheel bearing
                        159000 Suspension Replaced right front upper control arm.

I had an alignment done at like 120,000 and that's it.

Looking at this, I think it's time for a fucking alignment.

Comment

like Yaw said i would at least double check that your shocks are still in good shape.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                          Current cars:
                          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I agree, check the shocks as well as the tie rods. you didn't say in your list that you changed them. If you're at 160K miles and original tie rods, I'd think that would do it all alone.

Comment

141800 Suspension Replace left drive axle, Replace left upper ball joint

I had an alignment done at like 120,000 and that's it.

Looking at this, I think it's time for a fucking alignment.
                              how about that upper ball joint? you just pressed one in instead of getting a new control arm on that side? I would be checking on that.

Comment

Working...
                              X