Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

My alternator got wet. Argh.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My alternator got wet. Argh.

So, I had my camshaft.. rocker arms.. new gasket set (still sealed.. thankfully).. alternator.. valve cover.. etc. all sitting in my car.. with the windows cracked. It's been sitting up for a little over a month now..

and I forgot.........
    and my alternator got uber rained on.

So, I moved all my parts to my trunk.. only to find that it leaks water. DAMN IT HURRICANE IKE.

Think it's going to be any good? The rest of the stuff was mostly spared from the liquid doomsday.

Fudge. My camshaft is now rusted over.

ass.
    should have left it on the motor.
    Last edited by protegechris; 09-16-2008, 05:17 AM.
    Currently: 1996 Dodge Caravan (DD), 1990 Honda Accord LX
    Currently pulling the head to fix borked valve(s). Converted to external ign. coil.
    Previously: 1991 Dodge Dakota, 1995 Ford Contour GL, 1992 Mazda Protege DX

That does suck ass.
    Let the alt. dry and if it still works, then cool. If not, well fuck. Replace or maybe even rebuild it.

As for internal engine parts. Spray light oil (WD-40 or the like) on 'em and put them in plastic baggies or saran wrap.

Rusted parts? I'd say you'd get away with cleaning all rust with most of the parts. I can't say for sure, and I'm definetly not sure about the cam journals. That's the one area I'd really be concerned with. It can probly be saved, I'm just not sure how you'd go about that.
    Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

My A6 camshaft was rusted when I got it. I sprayed it down with carb cleaner and whiped it off with some agressive paper towel action. It's been in the car for 700+ miles, no problems.
      Originally posted by sweet91accord
      if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

I drove through a puddle with my last CB. It was lowered. It's fine it will get over it.

Originally posted by lordoja
        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

water wont hurt it at all, besides causing rust... and usually you can just wipe the rust off before using it again successfully. PB Blaster is a very easy way to wipe surface rust off parts like the cams.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

the one in my car now I hosed off. it works just fine

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
            01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
            93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
            93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

You'll just have to suck it and see with the alternator. Keep it in a warm place for a few hours (or days) to dry it out properly.

The camshaft, I'd just clean the rust off the working surfaces with used Scotchbrite. Used is less scratchy than new, more like polishing (or you could even try a metal polishing paste, so long as you cleaned it all off very well). Clean it well and then fit.

I wouldn't use abrasive paper (even fine grade) to clean the rust because the grit is sharp and will leave a microscopically harsh surface that could lead to the surface breaking up...??? If the rust is severe enough that you have fine pitting in the steel and the Scotchbrite won't sort it, then you might have to use fine abrasive paper, then 'polish' with Scothbrite.
              Last edited by johnl; 09-17-2008, 02:07 AM.
              Regards from Oz,
              John.

Comment

Working...
              X