Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

new water pump--use liquid gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new water pump--use liquid gasket?

Hi,

This is a little late as I already installed my new water pump, but I'm wondering what kind of liquid gasket people have used on their water pump installations, if any. I've never gotten a good explanation of this. Do you put it on the mating surfaces just outside the rubber sealing gasket, but not on the inside? Do you put any on the gasket itself? Do you use none at all?

I installed mine with no liquid gasket, just torqued it onto the cleaned mating surface on the engine.
    I will be going back in over the next couple days to adjust the timing belt by one tooth, so I can redo the water pump if necessary.

options:
    a) none--just clean the mating surfaces and mount the thing with the new gasket
    (this is how I did it but I'm wondering if it's going to seal right.)

b) blue permatex
    c) red permatex
    d) hondabond

I am guessing that if I go back in I'll need a new rubber gasket because the old one will be deformed from the first installation. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.

"The Right Stuff"

When I helped excoupe92 on his we put this on the rubber gasket of the water pump, cleaned the mating surface and bolted her on. The owner of the garage we used and every other respectable tech swears by that stuff.

So far so good

^^click it or ticket^^

Comment

Originally posted by CB7lx91 View Post
      "The Right Stuff"

When I helped excoupe92 on his we put this on the rubber gasket of the water pump, cleaned the mating surface and bolted her on.

thanks for your reply.

Ok, what I'm getting is that you used something called "The Right Stuff?" And just put it on the gasket itself? did you just spread a thin layer on or how much?

Comment

NEVER EVER EVER EVER just mate two metal surfaces...EVER EVER!!!

Use Room Temperature Vulcanizing sealant (rtv) for water pumps you can use the stuff they normally use on transmissions, don't use the stuff for sealing oil pans etc...you COULD but it'll be like a solid a glue not a gasket...and it's too much for the job.

If you didn't use ANY sealer/gasket (they do make pre-made gaskets) then TAKE IT BACK APART and do it right. or else you'll leak coolant...coolant on a tbelt is bad bad

don't reuse old gaskets...EVER EVER EVER
        ____

Comment

using the dry new gasket should technically be fine as-is. i always use RTV just to play it safe, you could have used some grey hondabond on it.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

NEW gasket is the key word
            ____

Comment

Get some permatex aviation sealant. Use that with a new gasket and it WONT leak. The aviation sealant is really good stuff for cooling system applications. Its clean off easy during teardown and wont dry into little strands like silicone does. With silicone if you apply to much it squeezes out and cures on the edge of the gasket. Eventually they break off and end up in the most undesirable places, especially in lube systems. Aviation sealant ftw.
              "Brought to you by Carls Jr."

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

It is a new water pump with a new gasket in it, so after reading all the posts I think I'm gonna try it as it is, fill the coolant system up with coolant, let it sit overnight, then when I go back in to reset the timing belt I'll see if there's any leaking. I torqued the bolts on the pump meticulously in several stages.

In the future I'll use some liquid gasket compound such as the aviation stuff by permatex or The Right Stuff. I did notice that the regular blue RTV sheds silicone so that I could definitely see that if you aren't careful to apply the right amount (not too much) clots of it could end up in the coolant galleries in the engine, so if I end up using that I'll be careful.

In the future I'll put a little bead on the gasket and spread it as evenly as I can, making sure there's not too much and that it's more to the outside of the pump than the inside before installing.

The Honda manual was confusing in how they described the installation, it just has a diagram of the corner of the water pump that has that little bit of rubber gasket already on it, with an arrow to it, and it says "put liquid gasket dressing on mating surfaces". It wasn't really clear that you put it all over the whole mating surface, and the "mating surface" wasn't defined. As I think about it now, the mating surface could be considered not only to be the metal flange, but the actual gasket groove and gasket itself. So putting a bead on the gasket makes sense.

Thanks again for all your input.

Comment

it may not leak as is...it will leak once pressurized

also...ignore the part it tells you about tightening the belt...do it by hand...those springs are for shit
                  ____

Comment

if you go overboard, the dried silicone will clog the radiator. ive seen it show up in filters and the such.
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Hondabond is the bomb.

Or if you're on the cheap, use black RTV.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
                        Hondabond is the bomb.

Or if you're on the cheap, use black RTV.
                        bombdiggity at 7 bucks a tube. i wonder if mine has dried up yet or not? i hardly use it because it cost so much!
                        I <3 G60.

Comment

the grey permatex you can get at any parts place is nearly identical to hondabond, and its cheaper

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                          Current cars:
                          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                            the grey permatex you can get at any parts place is nearly identical to hondabond, and its cheaper
                            I have way too many tubes of that shit.
                            Gary A.K.A. Carter
                            [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
                              I have way too many tubes of that shit.
                              7 tubes at 11.50 off ebay but it's for work since i owe them supplies and in return, i get to store the project car there
                              I <3 G60.

Comment

Working...
                              X