Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Outgoing mail from home? Postal pickup point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outgoing mail from home? Postal pickup point?

I don't know if anyone here knows... but I might as well ask while I look into it myself.

I keep seeing mailboxes at work that have postal bar codes on a sticker on the mailbox. I have a feeling these are for outgoing mail. I don't know for sure (and I'm really not in a position to ask...)

But, if this is possible, does anyone know any details about it? How to set it up, if it costs anything, etc...

I was just talking to my friend, and I mentioned how they moved the mailbox that used to be at the end of my street (and from that day on, shipping out decals became a hassle... ) If I could just have the decals and other things picked up at my house, I could get things sent out on time much more easily!

I'm researching now, but I figured I'd post up to see if anyone happened to know.

my mail dude, as a courtesy, has always picked up our outgoing mail. we would just place it in the mailbox, clearly visible that its not postmarked yet, and hed bring it back with him.

i dont think this is the case everywhere, of course, but you might have that option as long as its not any major bulk. but i have worked in other offices that actually get direct mail pickup - i think its something you need to ask about down at the post office. not sure if theres any extra service fee attached to that or what...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I thought direct mail pickup was the norm. We put our outgoing mail in the box at the end of the driveway, leave the flag up, and the mailman takes it away.

I'm sure if you are making a business out of it, things would be different.
      RIP

Bought from : LosiRacer2, h22anow

Comment

I've always wondered that. I've seen plenty of places with outgoing mail as well (great with my job, since outgoing mail with a return address from the person I'm looking for is pretty good confirmation that they live there!) It always seemed rude to me, asking the guy that delivers the mail to you to take your outgoing stuff as well.

Perhaps if it's just a small amount... but I currently have... let's see... 13 envelopes of decals ready to go out at the moment. Probably a few more by morning.

Comment

I think it depends on the town. I know my parents had the mail box with the flag and outgoing mail got picked up. Eric's mom on the other hand had a slot in the door and had to bring everything to the mail box. Eric and I currently have a box on our house and the guy has picked up "return to sender" and "wrong address" stuff but I haven't had to send any real outgoing mail stuff out.

I think they come and pick up those flat rate envelopes and boxes. You should just call and ask.
          "Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports....all others are games."
          - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            Perhaps if it's just a small amount... but I currently have... let's see... 13 envelopes of decals ready to go out at the moment. Probably a few more by morning.

make that... 14.
            RIP

Bought from : LosiRacer2, h22anow

Comment

I don't know If I would consider it rude. I mean hey after all, they are already at your mailbox, and are eventually going back to the post office. Seems like an economical and efficient thing to do.

My 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Thread

Comment

Originally posted by rob_is_legend View Post
                I don't know If I would consider it rude. I mean hey after all, they are already at your mailbox, and are eventually going back to the post office. Seems like an economical and efficient thing to do.
                True... but when they leave the post office, they know how much they have to deliver. It probably sucks to have to haul a new bag of mail BACK to the office!

I dunno, though. I don't really know all that much about the job. I understand the basic function, but I certainly don't know the intricacies of the job.

I suppose it's like being a waiter and hearing "how hard is it to take an order and bring out food?"

Comment

I believe the barcodes have to be scanned by the postal worker as they work their route. If you take too long to get to the next checkpoint that is how they find out if you're slacking off or skipping out on work.

I've left outgoing mail just clipped on to the outside of my mailbox before, and the postal worker has always taken it without issue as long as they felt the proper postage was there (1 or 2 stamps). Depending on how friendly your carrier is they can even pick up stamps for you if you ask.

Comment

when i lived in cleveland and now in IL near st louis i always put my mail in and raise the flag. thas what i do with my blockbuster mail.

but bulk items like boxes i believe that you have to take it in
                    1991 White Accord LX 5-speed aka Lil' Red

Comment

Out here, they pick up our outgoing mail. Like led_fut, we just put in the box and put the flag up.

If its bigger than a small padded envelope or it needs special postage then it just goes out from the post office when said postage is purchased.

Now ive never sent out over a dozen envelopes at once, but i imagine if you have a word with your letter carrier, theyd understand,

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                      Originally posted by Jarrett
                      Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

You mean the letter carrier that I never remember to leave a Christmas present for?

I think I've had about 4 different ones since I moved here, too. A nice old guy, a nice younger guy, a cute-ish blond girl, and now a black lady that I never see (but she always comes early, so I like her!)

Comment

Originally posted by led_fut View Post
                          I thought direct mail pickup was the norm. We put our outgoing mail in the box at the end of the driveway, leave the flag up, and the mailman takes it away.

I'm sure if you are making a business out of it, things would be different.
                          Yeah we have a mailbox out here in the boonies, no P.O. boxes here

The mailman always comes and picks up outgoing mail, and there's been a couple times I've forgotten to put stamps on it- he'll put one on, and leave me a bill for the 33 cents or whatever. It's been a while since I've sent mail out lol, I don't do bills by snailmail anymore.

Hey Deev, check this out: www.stamps.com

Violet got a starter cd-rom and a coupon for $100 worth of free shit from the usps, including a digital 2.0usb scale, mailers, and specialty printer paper for print-your-own postage. Don't think we'll ever use it, but you can get your own cd online and shit it might come in handy for you?

life is good.

Comment

I've never heard of the mail carrier not picking up the outgoing mail from your house. I wouldn't expect him to pick up any packages, but normal envelopes shouldn't pose a problem. You don't want to stick them down into the box, leave part of them sticking out so he can see them, he'll take them without a problem, it's part of the job. Next year, maybe some cookies for the mailman at Christmas, as well as for Santa!

Comment

Mail men/women have always taken outgoing mail, thats what the flag on the mail box is there for. If your mailbox doesn't have a flag it doesn't matter, they still take it.

My swap thread
                              Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

Working...
                              X