Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Tow Hooks

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i kinda want to get some for the wag lol i tend to get stuck lol
    back at it again

Comment

finally got pics of mine in the front. couldnt locate the spot on the radiator support, so i just put it on the bumper. no functional ability, just aesthetics.

Last edited by 909_cb7; 04-02-2011, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Do you have a picture from the side please?

i'm thinking to take one too, but for its functional habitilty, with the oem front tow the traction bar press up the bumper and i don't want to take the bumper off
        -Sorry if my english is bad, i try to improve it and do my best to be understood
        -Soon, you will come back to live...

Bought from: Jack Lee ,Tommi ,408cb7 , xkjnboix

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          I'll never understand the point of parts that exist to serve a particular function, being added "just for looks".

They're tow hooks. Loops of metal bolted to solid points on your car. That's it. They're not exactly model-specific pieces.
          Your statement basically says you dont understand why people customize cars. MOST of customization out there is simply for the purpose of doing something for no reason other than "thats what I want to do". 99% of people on this form, on ImportAtlanta, on Honda-Tech, on Streetsourcemag, and the list goes on does this mostly just for looks. I mean what is the point of customizing? If your building something for auto-cross, drag racing or what ever, thats not so much what is considered customizing....adding a tow hook because you think it looks cool is no different then spending money on those baller wheels because you like the way they look. I would expect someone with your post count to be the last person to not grasp this very basic concept of customizing cars and trucks. I bet you think us minitruckers are absolute idiots, LOL

Bought from Darkcloud

http://wheelflip.com/r/DrAkE

Comment

Actually, I own this site... so I think I have a pretty firm grasp of the idea.

However, wheels do what they are supposed to do. They roll.
            A tow hook attached to the plastic bumper does not do what it is supposed to do. You can not tow the car by such a thing. It's no better than one of those "BOV sound" exhaust modifications, or a "DOHC VTEC" badge on a car with an F22A1.

If a part's function is JUST for looks, such as a custom grille, headlight eyelids, etc... fine. They're not functionless parts pretending to have a function. But I see no point in adding a part that has an intended function, that can't perform that function.

Comment

don't we have factory tow hooks ? i have had mine towed many times and they work just fine .

A man that keeps looking back can't see whats in front of him.

Comment

We have factory tow points. They're talking about tow hooks that go outside your bumper, so it's easier to tow.
                MRT
                37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                Originally posted by Tippey764
                I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                Originally posted by deevergote
                sneaky motherfucker

Comment

I like the way the tow hooks look but ive heard that during the races where im at cops would sneak up to parked cars and hook them and rip them away (again so ive heard) and the first ones to go were the ones with the aftermarket ones...
                  But some ppl on for show and they would rip the bumpers right off...but if your not ganna street race then your fine... But i like the way they look on the front more..
                  Freaks Crew! FB pg
                  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002231470942
                  MRT LINK
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post2814259

Comment

Actually, I own this site... so I think I have a pretty firm grasp of the idea.

However, wheels do what they are supposed to do. They roll.
                    A tow hook attached to the plastic bumper does not do what it is supposed to do. You can not tow the car by such a thing. It's no better than one of those "BOV sound" exhaust modifications, or a "DOHC VTEC" badge on a car with an F22A1.

If a part's function is JUST for looks, such as a custom grille, headlight eyelids, etc... fine. They're not functionless parts pretending to have a function. But I see no point in adding a part that has an intended function, that can't perform that function.
                    I absolutely see your point and in part agree but this could be argued to why even install an aftermarket wheel? Why waste the money of its only for looks? Every arguement has a point where a line must be drawn. Now I will further agree all day long, if its in no way functional then its a bit silly, mounting it to a plastic bumper? I shudder at the thought. A solid mounting to the core support up front would be ok so long as it was not so much counted on for extreme exertion, but for tieing down on a trailer or something it would still be ok, or for a quick tow in a pinch.

But the primary side of customizing is simply for looks....technically you should slam everyone that does JDM conversions or custom paint, etc......the majority of what we do to our rides is totally unnecessary and pointless but we do it because we want to, because we like the way it looks or for a handful of other reasons. A toe hook added just for looks is technically no more silly than swapping out your tail lights because you want Red\Clear as opposed to OEM...yes the tail lights are in fact functional but the necessity is not there. Not trying to argue....as I said, there is or can be a line drawn.
                    Last edited by Noridetoolow; 03-31-2011, 02:00 PM.

Bought from Darkcloud

http://wheelflip.com/r/DrAkE

Comment

I think that if a part has a function, it should retain that function when added to the car. Tail lights... they light up. If you swapped in some tail lights that didn't light up, that would be a stupid mod (of course, that's different, because you'd be eliminating a pre-existing function, which is even worse than simply adding an additional part that isn't functional.)

Aesthetic mods make sense... because that IS their function. Their function is to alter the appearance of the car.
                      I suppose the functionless tow hook could be called an aesthetic mod... but so could a 3" muffler tip on a stock muffler, a stick-on hood scoop, or the previously mentioned "BOV sound" mod for non-turbo cars (mentioned again because that one is just so absolutely idiotic... )

In all, it comes down to opinion... so nobody is truly right or wrong. People can do whatever they want to their cars. My opinion is just that if a modification has an intended function, then that modification should be functional.

Comment

Originally posted by stretch JDM View Post
                        don't we have factory tow hooks ? i have had mine towed many times and they work just fine .
                        yeah my factory fronts are hard to get to with a lip on thats why i would want aftermarket tow hooks lol
                        back at it again

Comment

Actually, the factory "tow hooks" aren't really tow hooks at all. They're for tying the car down on a flatbed. I've cracked a stock bumper on a stock-height car attempting to use one as a tow hook in the past.

More modern cars have little spots in the bumper (usually covered by a plastic cap) where you can screw in a temporary tow hook. My Fit has one.

Maybe I'll install it and drive around with it.
                          I saw a BeatMW driving with their screw-in tow hook installed today.

Comment

Originally posted by Noridetoolow View Post
                            .... A toe hook added just for looks is technically no more silly than swapping out your tail lights because you want Red\Clear as opposed to OEM...yes the tail lights are in fact functional but the necessity is not there...
                            Actually, a non-functional tow hook is about the goofiest mod you could make since it APPEARS to serve a function but does not. Cool paint looks cool as do lights, tint, color and other cosmetic mods. So they serve a cosmetic purpose.

A non-functional part that should be functional is just crazy. A cool-looking, but non functioning fire extinguisher? Racing seatbelts that you don't secure cuz you only want them to look cool? A tow hook, that someone may someday try to tow you with, that you can't be towed from?
                            90 Accord Ex, F22A4. Slight fire damage.

Comment

Originally posted by H.M. View Post
                              Actually, a non-functional tow hook is about the goofiest mod you could make since it APPEARS to serve a function but does not. Cool paint looks cool as do lights, tint, color and other cosmetic mods. So they serve a cosmetic purpose.

A non-functional part that should be functional is just crazy. A cool-looking, but non functioning fire extinguisher? Racing seatbelts that you don't secure cuz you only want them to look cool? A tow hook, that someone may someday try to tow you with, that you can't be towed from?
                              yeah very true

i have a working fire extinguisher in my jeep lol
                              i need to make brackets for tow hooks in the front i have some plate steel left over from my bumper build on the jeep
                              back at it again

Comment

Actually, the factory "tow hooks" aren't really tow hooks at all. They're for tying the car down on a flatbed. I've cracked a stock bumper on a stock-height car attempting to use one as a tow hook in the past.

More modern cars have little spots in the bumper (usually covered by a plastic cap) where you can screw in a temporary tow hook. My Fit has one.

Maybe I'll install it and drive around with it.
                                I saw a BeatMW driving with their screw-in tow hook installed today.

as for the "newer" cars with those cut outs , i know my buddy that owns a g35 said he can get a "AFTERMARKET" tow hook that screws in to the hole just b/c it looks cool

Comment

Working...
                                X