98 Ford contour won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

98 Ford contour won't start

first i know its a ford, so please no take the emblem off and it will start, or drive it off a cliff,

anyways, the car came in for a clutch, there was zero pad left on the disc, so i replaced the clutch, throw out bearing, pressure plate and dics of course, i put everything back and go to start it, it cranked over but did not want to start, there is fuel, but no spark, it might be either the coilpack, crank, or cam sensor, not sure which one of those, i checked most of fuses and relays and checked out alright, the motor is cranking fine, there is fuel but no spark, thus causing it not to star, any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks
    Members Ride

forget to reconnect any ground wires?
    FA1

Comment

Originally posted by 2.2litrebeater
      forget to reconnect any ground wires?
      Check the grounds and such as mentioned that can always mess everything up. If not I would start by checking the coil packs and such.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Shoulda bought a Honda!!

Sorry i had too..lol but yea id start with grounds.........

Comment

thanks for the input,

the car is not mine, its a chick friend of mine, yeah i told her to buy a honda but noooooooo!

anyways i am positive that all grounds are connected, i checked every single wire hanging in the bay

today i bough a haynes manual and check the coilpack, the resistance spec for it is .50 ohms + or minus 5, when i checked according to the manual i got 2.5 on the primary windings and 1.9 on secondary

so i am leaning heavyly on the coilpack being the problem, i triple checked it and got the same results
          Members Ride

Comment

i replaced the coil pack today and nothing, i still have no spark wtf?
            Members Ride

Comment

If its throwing any CEL codes check them out. My CB had a problem where it wouldnt start or give a hard time starting and it would turn on the CEL.... and it was the distributor.. just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by ant96gle
                If its throwing any CEL codes check them out. My CB had a problem where it wouldnt start or give a hard time starting and it would turn on the CEL.... and it was the distributor.. just a thought
                well since its obd2 i don't have a scanner, i replaced the coilpack as i said above, i also checked the cam and crank sensor and both are within specs, so i have no idea, whatelse to check no wires the seem broken or anything, the manual says that the connector going to the coilpack is supposed to have 12 volt to it, but it does not, thus i am leaning towards the ecu on this one, all relays and fuses check out ok so
                Members Ride

Comment

take the grounds back off and sand them ?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                  - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                  - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                  Current cars:
                  - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                  - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
                    take the grounds back off and sand them ?
                    already did that too, still nothing
                    Members Ride

Comment

Get you a scanner and see what it reads!!! Thats the best way to do it. Its still not gettin spark as you said? Is there voltage going to the plug going to the coil?

The New-ish Ride
                      My old Ride
                      Hear my Vtak!!!
                      MK3 Member #3
                      I piss off people for fun.
                      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

there is voltage if that what you mean, but it the manual says its on the middle terminal and i am only getting power to the outside terminal, nobody switched them so i don't know, i called the owner and told her to take it to a shop, i'm done with this shit!

thanks for the help
                        Members Ride

Comment

"today i bough a haynes manual and check the coilpack, the resistance spec for it is .50 ohms + or minus 5, when i checked according to the manual i got 2.5 on the primary windings and 1.9 on secondary"

^^^

you found your problem. American Fords Countours have countless problems with the American or mexican built units. The Europeans models have higher quality standards.
                          Even the SVT models are junk, albiet they are badass looking
                          14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

Working...
                          X