new old engine design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new old engine design?

I have an idea that essentially stolen from many different sources. Russell Bourke is the first person that I found to have made this engine back in the 60s. I want to make one also. I have found a bunch of papers and some plans for the engine. Unfortunatly none of the drawings show any dimensions. But everything is scaled correctly so I can add dimensions fairly easily... My friend is good at CAD drawing (or so he says, i have yet to see it.) And i hope that he get's the program here so that i can start making the pics of it. I dont know exactly how to draw this thing out, but i'd love to make it in cad so that i could bring it to a machine shop of some sort and have them make it.

Some may know this engine as a VLB engine, or a Vaux engine, or a Bourke stroke engine. It has a scotch yoke instead of a crank (dont know the difference, from what i can tell it's the same) The pistons are set up similar to that of a boxer engine in the WRX. if you look up bourke engine in google or mamma you'll see what i'm talking about. I want to make something that i can make an adaptor plate for so i can have it in my car. Supposedly it's supposed to run 20:1 A/F which is rather lean, but apparently any richer and it doesn't work right. It is similar also to a 2 stroke in that when the piston goes to TDC it makes a vacuum sucking in air and fuel, but because of something it doesn't need the same oil in gas thing. One web site suggested using a ECU to control the exhaust valve...but i dont know if i like having an exhaust valve yet. He was talking about useing that if his engine was running at 20k. That speed would work great if i had a hydrolic drive train. But they were talking about how you keep the engine at a constant speed and have the pump do all the variable speed stuff... exactly the same as a locomotive, or a big-o-mine truck (i lived on the iron range in MN, so i know some of the trucks)
    but rousell was attempting to make his run with the same old trannies as everyone else had.

Here's my idea. Since the engine is relativly small and easy to work on, i was going to just start by making it carbed, and 2 stroke (no ecu) I want to have the scotch yoke sick out both ends and have identicle ummm..bolts? so that on one end i can bolt up a crank pulley. and on the other end i can hook up either a tranny or another engine. (so that i can make a 2,4,6,8 cylinder...what ever a person wants) Supposedly this thing makes gabs of power at 2k rpm so i dont think it would really be necessary to make an 8, but i wouldnt' really be making it cause you'd just bolt 4 engines together. Since they all run independant one could effectivly blow up and i could still run the vehicle.

Most all the ideas in my head are just someone elses drawings. (except the hole bolt up thing) I just want to make a better engine for my self. If someone else wants it i can get him/ her all the stuff they need to make it their selfs either. Or if your in the area (knoxville TN) i'd be glad to do the work my self... (i'm one of those shade tree mechanics anyway so i'm cheap...PRICES)

First actual question:
    Does this seem at all interesting?

Any one know any body that will build something that i make using autocad?

what size should my pistons be? (i was thinking about grabbing the same size as the f22)

but i dont much understand if it's a 87mm bore does that mean the piston measures 87mm? or is it smaller to allow for the rings to fill in the gap?

Any suggestions?
    WTB:
    88-01 prelude 2.0si (3g) si (4g,5g)
    OR
    90-93 Accord.

Has to be 5spd, has to be CHEAP. SUPER CHEAP. Will be in Indiana in February permanently and want a project car when I get settled in.

My Ride
    myspace

Comment

dang, i thought i was more clear.. ok what is not clear?
      WTB:
      OR
      90-93 Accord.

Has to be 5spd, has to be CHEAP. SUPER CHEAP. Will be in Indiana in February permanently and want a project car when I get settled in.

Comment

if you plan on inventing something that will actually work you plan it out build a prototype get it pattened THEN blurt it out on the internet oh by the way good write up you seem pretty intelligent
        CiRcuS kiNgZ

Comment

I remember it as a *Vaux engine* LOL !!! omg .. talk about *flashback* !!!

yeah .. cool idea .. it could happen .. like to see the drawings tho .. and umm ..
          do you plan on *modding* this application to a CB7 ? Cuz .. ehh ... that could be really ....

Anyhow .. keep us updated .. and g'luck

A Hui Hou !!!
          Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

That is kind of what i was thinking for a summer project. Well, on a smaller scale. Taking a weedeater motor and hooking it up my bike. I want to keep the gears and all i need to figure out is how to mount it and find how to connect the driveshaft. Any info?

Comment

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26sa%3DG

this contribute to helping explain your idea?

sounds like a fun project... but itll take a lot of work, but thats whats so fun about it.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
              Current cars:
              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Alright man i just did some research and i couldnt find were it said what the difference is between the bourke engine and a reguler engine. Something to do with a "yoke" instead of a crankshaft but i dont understand how its diferent. I know instead of the connecting rods moving side to side they go straight and thats whats supposed to make this engine different. Please explain further cause you obvioulsy understand this a whole lot better than i do.

My Ride
                myspace

Comment

well your starting to get the hang of it. The pistons dont create any side load, which is another form of power loss. The motor also runs at about 1/2 of the fuel requirements as a normal otto cycle motor. So basically your getting about the same power as a normal engine using half the gas because it's about 2x as efficiant.. (that is a basic sum up)

Something to do with a "yoke" instead of a crankshaft
                  the main difference is that in a crankshaft each piston is connected to a different part of the crankshaft and slipping around it using bearings. A yoke just is there to take the motion of the pistons and turn that energy into a rotary motion. It's a little more involved than that, but I think that is a fair explaination.

if you plan on inventing something that will actually work you plan it out build a prototype get it pattened THEN blurt it out on the internet
                  fair enough. I dont think i'm really inventing anything though. All the information I found is on the internet. Anyone with...hmm i hate the way this is gonna sound...enough smarts, enough tools, and enough money is going to be able to make this. And by smarts I dont necessarily mean Einstein because you could consider someone smart to bring it to someone who knows a little bit about it and build it using what he tells the other person.

so I dont think i'm really inventing anything, i just want to make something useful for my self...and maybe anyone who wants to invest in it.

yes i do eventually plan on modding this thing on the cb7. I want to make it a 6cyl and put it on. .....oooh crap a huge electrical storm is outside, i gotta get going..i'll explain more later...

oh yah about that bike idea.. I was planning on doing something like that too, i figured that i would have to have a 15 spd. because then i would dedicate the first and smallest gear on the front for the motor to take over. Then I would only have a 10spd, but i would still be able to just kick my feet up with the side pegs i have and cruise around. Just make sure your motor is not bigger than 50cc cause then you got to get it licensed.

aight, i feel the electricity tingling on my back i should go now.
                  WTB:
                  OR
                  90-93 Accord.

Comment

it would be rediculously expensive to have anything like that made in a machine shop. especially making just one.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

it would be rediculously expensive to have anything like that made in a machine shop. especially making just one.
                      I hope not, I'm hoping that my boy has a few connections at a few of the machine shops. I'm hoping that if we just give them the file that they can go ahead and just chop away at some metal for me. I guess i'll have to wait and see what the price is going to be. I'm hoping for all aluminum, but if cast is cheaper..well then i have to go with that.

Any one here have any experiance with Auto cad?

and thank you guys for the support.
                      WTB:
                      OR
                      90-93 Accord.

Comment

Ohhh hooking up weedwacker motors to bikes...I tried to do that when I was ~11, thankfully the engine spun the wrong way or I could have seriously hurt myself...anyways good luck with your project.

Originally posted by lordoja
                        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by immeraufdemhund
                          I hope not, I'm hoping that my boy has a few connections at a few of the machine shops. I'm hoping that if we just give them the file that they can go ahead and just chop away at some metal for me. I guess i'll have to wait and see what the price is going to be. I'm hoping for all aluminum, but if cast is cheaper..well then i have to go with that.

Any one here have any experiance with Auto cad?

and thank you guys for the support.
                          i used to be an AutoCAD drafter...you can export stuff to DXF format and throw it on the CNC machine. but you cant just "chop away at some metal" and expect to make an engine.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

I can't wait to see this......

Comment

I hate autocad... its to ghey. I like rhino because im HARDCORE!

Comment

Working...
                              X