Move over Plane on a Treadmill there's a New Sheriff in Town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by owequitit
    Helicopters do not have "thrust" that contributes a major amount of motion from the engines. It is residual thrust, and incremental in pretty much all cases. The main purpose of the engines on a helicopter is to turn the rotors (main and tail, which are often connected via a driveshaft).

The main foward thrust for a helicopter comes from manipulating the angle of attack of the rotor blades.

Here is a less complicated version of what I was trying to explain:

http://www.centennialofflight.gov/es...pitch/DI39.htm

How they work overall:

http://travel.howstuffworks.com/helicopter.htm
    Yeah, I kind of shot myself in the foot on this one. I researched it AFTER I had posted. I was in the mindset of the helicopter "staying" on the pad, then lifting off. I rushed into that answer.

I understand what you mean. (That is way when the helicopter moves forward the front tilts) Good links though.
    3 CB's gone....
    1 WK Overland....

Still miss the CB though......maybe one day.

Comment

lol AWESOME

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

it depends on if the table is spinning in the same direction as the blades on the choppa or in oppisite... i say it would take off going oppisite direction and would crash and burn if spinning in the same

Please, Leave me some feeedback on my ride ^CLICK ^CLICK ^CLICK
        Originally posted by deevergote.
        But Honda guys know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING! If you don't believe that, then you're just wrong...

Comment

Let the Games Begin!!

Way to go npor...lets just hope it doesnt take as long for Mythbusters to get ahold of this one as it did for "plane on a treadmill"

What? My opinion? Shit...i had a hard time wrapping my brain around how the damn plane took off...now you want me to get into this?!?

Ill just shoot in the dark and say "Plausible" If the blades/table are moving in the SAME direction -- NO. If theyre moving in OPPOSITE directions, i say its possible, but controlling the "choppa" will be difficult, if not impossible.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
          Originally posted by Jarrett
          Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

if it were spinning opposite directions, then both the propeller and the base of the turntable would be stationary, while the body of the chopper and the round part of the table would be spinning... of course it wouldnt take off that way, it would probably just wreck the chopper due to centrifugal force.

if they were spinning the same direction, they would only need to run the chopper's prop half as fast, as the rest of the work is being done by the turntable. that would be enough to get the prop spinning enough to get lift, but the moment the chopper separated from the turntable, it would be all over, as the chopper is now in the air while spinning very fast. until the tail stabilizer prop was able to hold the chopper straight, it would continually lose its lift, but then its back on the turntable spinning again. so no, it would just sit there, spinning, and spinning...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

It probably wouldn't come back down straight, if it were able to achieve lift. It probably WOULD take off, but it wouldn't stay airborne simply because of the lack of stability. Unless, of course, it falls apart first.

Comment

Let's put wheels on it...
                Originally posted by sweet91accord
                if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate
                  Let's put wheels on it...
                  3 CB's gone....
                  1 WK Overland....

Still miss the CB though......maybe one day.

Comment

does it have to be an Apache style "choppa"? What if it were a sikorsky S-64 Skycrane??

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                    Originally posted by Jarrett
                    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Please die. Please.

Assuming that the aircraft has either a tail rotor or a counter rotating rotor system, such as a Chinook or Sea Knight (and newsflash, all helio's do), as long as you can keep it from flying off the turntable, then yes it would take off no matter wich direction the turntable was spining. However, centrifugal force would be a great factor to try and over come, and in all reality this is probably one of the dumbest, most asinine things I've ever seen posted on the interwebs.

- Rob -
                      92 Auto Sedan - "Rustoration"
                      85 Toyota 4Runner
                      1977 Kawasaki KZ1000/ZX6/10R Hybrid
                      2008 HD 1200N
                      2009 HD 883N

Comment

Trick question. Don't turn the dj table or anything, and let the helicopter take off just like normal. I think everyone just likes to overthink this stuff,lol. Who cares what its on?

Comment

Originally posted by 203Cree
                          Please die. Please.

Assuming that the aircraft has either a tail rotor or a counter rotating rotor system, such as a Chinook or Sea Knight (and newsflash, all helio's do), as long as you can keep it from flying off the turntable, then yes it would take off no matter wich direction the turntable was spining. However, centrifugal force would be a great factor to try and over come, and in all reality this is probably one of the dumbest, most asinine things I've ever seen posted on the interwebs.

Nah ah.
                          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Is this hypothetical situation assuming that the center of the turntable is aligned with the center of the main rotor?

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc
                              does it have to be an Apache style "choppa"? What if it were a sikorsky S-64 Skycrane??

that will lift the turntable along with it

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
                              Honda Accord Euro-R
                              Honda Odyssey Absolute
                              Honda City I-DSi
                              Honda Stream

Comment

Hypothetically, the helicopter still has the independent ability to fly, but beyond a certain speed, it would be impossible to control and the airframe would exceed its structural limits, which I have no idea what the G limits are on a helicopter.

But assuming you had a pilot that could handle it, and the helicopter actually lifted off, then the rotation would slow as soon as it got off the ground, and the helicopter would resume normal flight.

The question is, how fast is that turntable spinning?

I am guess this was created by someone who was butthurt about the airplane on a treadmill thing.
                                The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Working...
                                X