Man Killed By Plugged-In Cell Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man Killed By Plugged-In Cell Phone

look what i found online.......is this for real?

We've seen deaths at the hands of cell phones take many different forms -- explosions, drownings, car accidents, even one kid who got hit by a train. One we haven't seen yet though? Electrocution. It seems a young man in Ghana picked up his cell phone to answer it while it was being charged. Shortly afterwards electricity zipped through his body and threw him to the floor with burns on his fingers from where the surge entered his body via the cell phone. His parents came in and rushed him to the hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Some have responded to the story by warning others to never answ! er their phone while it's being charged. But the more likely culprit here is either a cheaply (and improperly) made knock-off cell phone or shoddy home wiring. Remember, this happened in Ghana, a poor West African nation that still relies heavily on international financial and technological assistance.

So if you live in New York, you can probably answer your phone while its charging consequence-free. If you're an inhabitant of sub-Sahara Africa, maybe you'll pull the plug first.

...........AE86-GTS: SOLD.................................................. ........CB7-DX: SOLD

It's entirely possible. I mean, you are holding a device to your head that is plugged into a live socket.

Comment

scary...
      93 Coupe........AutoX

Comment

Originally posted by Charliehstle209
        scary...

...........AE86-GTS: SOLD.................................................. ........CB7-DX: SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
          It's entirely possible. I mean, you are holding a device to your head that is plugged into a live socket.
          is it terrible that i laughed when i read that?^^

Comment

Originally posted by 93accordexcoupe
            is it terrible that i laughed when i read that?^^
            no i laughed to...
            93 Coupe........AutoX

Comment

plastic surrounds the cell and I doubt anything metal was on the exterior of the phone.

thats my 2 cents

Follow me on IG: @jdm_inspired

93 'til infinity

Comment

im wondering if there was some sort of electrical surge or something?
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Looking at that picture, it could have been a hell of a lot worse. Whats really scary is how fast beds go up in flames.
                  To-Do List for Today
                  Be Awesome

Comment

Originally posted by wafflefries
                    Looking at that picture, it could have been a hell of a lot worse. Whats really scary is how fast beds go up in flames.
                    X2 on the scary part

Originally posted by jhondayaaj
                    too bad seattle silver's are the best.
                    ACCORD MEET MAY 29th 2010

Comment

I have a cellphole that has a metal case (Motorolla RaZr) so it is possible if something was to short out inside and cause this, I'm curious to know what voltage they use in africa, do they use 120v AC like north america or 240v AC like europe ? if the power supply was to short out the phone with AC voltage (120v or 240v) while holding the metal case, it could definatly cause that kind of damage.

sucks to be him though

I just looked closer at the picture and there definatly isn't a ground plug on the adapter, it also looks kinda like a 240v plug but it's a little hard to tell.
                      Last edited by 102030405; 01-29-2008, 08:46 PM.

Originally posted by cp[mike]
                      the joys of digging into an old car, its like christmas every time you try to fix something. "woohoo!! more rust and broken parts! sweet!!!"

Comment

out there they have such horribly cheap imitation phones, wouldnt surprise me if perhaps the charger shorted internally, sending wall current thru the charging cord.

not sure how even wall current could fry somebody, as if it were isolated to his one hand that picked up the phone, it would do nothing more than shock him till he dropped it... tho maybe he picked it up with both hands? which could theoretically kill someone...

idk... is this story from a legit source?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                        Current cars:
                        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]

idk... is this story from a legit source?

who know? i found it online...thats all i know

Comment

Looks like the battery exploded or something. Or maybe they wired the kid's room into a primary feeder (thousands of volts)...

Yea my country needs help. Please send me money yankobiah@yahoo.com, Paypal style

Originally posted by lordoja
                            im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
                              Looks like the battery exploded or something. Or maybe they wired the kid's room into a primary feeder (thousands of volts)...
                              imitation batteries.

a friend of mine in electrical engineering did a research on imitation nokia batteries (cheap chinese backyard batteries) and found out that they tend to overcharge (??) and heat up very quickly.

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
                              Honda Accord Euro-R
                              Honda Odyssey Absolute
                              Honda City I-DSi
                              Honda Stream

Comment

Working...
                              X