Salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salt

There has got to be something that can replace it and not be as bad(road salt). I mean they have some crazy new technology, and they havent come up with a replacement for road salt that dosent cause rust and dosent get you car soo damn dirty?

I just realized how much it sucks. My car got more dirty in one day than it would in 6 months.

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

a new technology thats as dirt cheap and readily available, and disappears as quickly and harmlessly once the snow melts, as salt? none.

gonna be around for quite a while.

some areas use just dirt/gravel, some use it mixed with salt, some use straight salt.

i cant say that salt isnt fabulous for what it does, and i wouldnt mind it if it didnt kill metal so fast.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

not much salt in Va!

so..im not worried about it
      but it does suck
      got all my familys cars dirty i know that

Ride: 2002 Lexus IS300

Comment

My local are uses dirt. Makes the the roads look nasty, all brown and poop lookin'.
        Originally posted by sweet91accord
        if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate
          My local are uses dirt. Makes the the roads look nasty, all brown and poop lookin'.
          IMO, poopy lookin' roads are better than rusty quarter panels. Is there any reason why dirt or dirt/gravel mixtures are preferred over salt? I assume it must be cheaper, because after all, its readily available everywhere. Salt is just more effective because it combines with whatever water is on the ground to lower its freezing point, and I guess moreso than straight up dirt.

and wikipedia lists this compound,
          Calcium magnesium acetate is an alternative to road salt. It is approximately as corrosive as normal tap water, and in varying concentrations can be effective in stopping road ice from forming down to ~27.5 °C (its Eutectic temperature).
          My pictures/photos will return soon...

Comment

a) Sodium Chloride (rock salt) NaCl is the most commonly used due to its low cost. NaCl is not very effective at low temperatures, so other, more aggressive chemicals are used.
            b) Calcium Chloride CaCl2 works at lower temperatures, but costs more than NaCl.
            c) Magnesium Chloride MgCl2 is the most aggressive of the snow melters, operating at the lowest temperatures, and also the most expensive. It also is very damaging, particularly on automotive glass surfaces. It can etch glass surfaces within several hours. Frequent use of the windshield washers can dilute MgCl2, preventing it from etching the glass. If the glass is etched, use a proper glass polish from a variety of sources, or a quality chrome polish, to remove the damage.
            d) Brine (salt water) solutions are also sprayed on the roadways in some areas before snowfall, to prevent the snow from adhering to the roadway. If following a sprayer truck, be sure to flush all areas of your vehicle, particularly the undercarriage, to remove all traces of the solution.

i don't see them using anything else for a long time....if ever, considering salt is the most abundant mineral resource on earth. later.
            Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

beet juice
              OHIO CB7'S #11
              SOLD

Members Ride DevlTuning

Comment

Just wash your car weekyl or so to rinse off the salt. I need to do that to mine in a few days after it rains.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                I piss off people for fun.
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
                  i don't see them using anything else for a long time....if ever, considering salt is the most abundant mineral resource on earth. later.
                  Both of these products are expensive to produce and store. Where as salt is a natural product, easily mined and can be stored outside. I work for the local DOT. IF people want to drive on summer like roads in the winter time this is the price we have to pay.

Comment

get a plane ticket to the south or go to california and burn your lungs.

Comment

salt is cheap im assuming...they could use a better mix with more sand in it. personally i enjoy snow covered roads

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                      "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                      "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

The dirtier the better. Get a daily driver? Move down south?

Comment

Working...
                        X