Mitsubishi's motor design for evo x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mitsubishi's motor design for evo x

i was looking thru many magazines and tech articules to find out how the camshaft can direct interact with the valves w/o rocker arms

is it pretty much the face of the rocker arms designed into the valves stem head; as to where the camshaft DIRECTLY spins over the face the stem

also extremely interesting on their new 2 clutch-system, i'm looking to see how can the put 1,3,5 on 1 clutch and 2,4,6 and reverse on the other

..............interesting

whats the DOWN side of these new technology, although it doesnt look like there would be any for the rocker-arm-less head as to where valves float would be non-exsistent and less mass which would increase low-throttle and lag b/c of the instantaneous of the camshaft and valves
    "You don't have to be a Phi Beta Kappa to know not to strip-search a girl who is accused of stealing change,"

I did gagoogity that girl. I gashmoigitied her gaflavity with my googis. And I am sorry.

wouldnt the cam lobes have to be huge to make up for the lost ratio of the rocker arms? also would like to see how that dual clutch works.

im curious to see the details in this thread, but i dont care enough about evos to go searching myself haha.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

the dual clutch gearbox is similar to the DSG from VW. smooth shifts i can say. and fast.

no on-off feeling. just power, power, power. and its not an automatic, so no power sapping torque converters.

thats how a gearbox should be.

video --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxovt59bvtU
      Last edited by blizzard335; 12-12-2007, 09:10 PM.

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
      Honda Accord Euro-R
      Honda Odyssey Absolute
      Honda City I-DSi
      Honda Stream

Comment

The valve design is probably similar to the ones Nissan has been using for years in their SR20 heads.

Basically, there are shims for lash adjustment between the valve and cam. Or they could probably have some form of hydraulic adjustment.

Anyway, the cam pushes on the shim, which pushes on the spring/retainer.

Valve float is still highly possible as that is dependent more on valve spring stiffness than anything.

And yes Mike, the cams are significantly different since there is no rocker ratio.

Also, the tranny is a two shaft design. So 1,3,5 end up on one shaft and 2,4,6,R end up on the second shaft. Through a complex set of gears, and solid shafts inside of a hollow shaft, they can put a clutch on the first shaft and the second.
        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

so many parts!!! I like the new cvts they are soo smooth such a weird feeling

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
          "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
          "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
            so many parts!!! I like the new cvts they are soo smooth such a weird feeling
            yes, CVTs are smooth because there are no cogs to swap, but there is that weird rubber band feeling.

The CVT on the previous gen Fit/Jazz had 3 modes, a 7 speed (ratio) 'manual', an auto (u can feel the 'shift' jerk) and full CVT mode.

But the dual clutch system is a revelation. Even the Veyron has it.

Links to other rides:
            Honda Accord Euro-R
            Honda Odyssey Absolute
            Honda City I-DSi
            Honda Stream

Comment

so basically the two clutch system is sorta like a two transmisson setup.

so does that mean you have two clutch pedels?

the youtube shows that one shaft can be in "gear" so it will be ready when the clutch engage so the next shaft can go to the next gear.

i can see autos's doing this but as manual? looks like more work....
              1991 White Accord LX 5-speed aka Lil' Red

Comment

It's not manual in a traditional sense. It's a manually-operated automatic. You just specify when to shift and it obeys your input.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
                  The valve design is probably similar to the ones Nissan has been using for years in their SR20 heads.

Basically, there are shims for lash adjustment between the valve and cam. Or they could probably have some form of hydraulic adjustment.

Anyway, the cam pushes on the shim, which pushes on the spring/retainer.

Valve float is still highly possible as that is dependent more on valve spring stiffness than anything.

And yes Mike, the cams are significantly different since there is no rocker ratio.

Also, the tranny is a two shaft design. So 1,3,5 end up on one shaft and 2,4,6,R end up on the second shaft. Through a complex set of gears, and solid shafts inside of a hollow shaft, they can put a clutch on the first shaft and the second.
                  exactly how volvo's and toyotas act as well. with the use of a bucket follower, there is essentially no potential valve guide wear.

it just makes valve adjustments a bit of a pain.
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by Lil' Whitie
                    so basically the two clutch system is sorta like a two transmisson setup.

so does that mean you have two clutch pedels?

the youtube shows that one shaft can be in "gear" so it will be ready when the clutch engage so the next shaft can go to the next gear.

i can see autos's doing this but as manual? looks like more work....
                    You don't have any clutch pedals. You simply flip a paddle, and the transmission does the rest. Go test drive a GTI with DSG, or an Audi.

Also, it isn't terribly more complicated than a current manual, as they already have multiple shafts etc. It is somewhere between a manual and an auto tranny in terms of complexity. Probably closer to a manual.
                    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

dual clutch cars have 2 pedals and 2 paddles.

the downshifts are also crisp with throttle blips. sweet. no need for heel-n-toe as in a coventional manual.

Links to other rides:
                      Honda Accord Euro-R
                      Honda Odyssey Absolute
                      Honda City I-DSi
                      Honda Stream

Comment

Originally posted by blizzard335
                        dual clutch cars have 2 pedals and 2 paddles.

the downshifts are also crisp with throttle blips. sweet. no need for heel-n-toe as in a coventional manual.
                        not only that they are faster than the manual version of that car so yep thats right the autos are going to be faster.

Comment

thus this was trully the way rally and road racing was going to

i wonder why honda didnt think of this, or the actual engineering prowness wasnt there

i eventually see the clutch pedal being a thing of the past
                          "You don't have to be a Phi Beta Kappa to know not to strip-search a girl who is accused of stealing change,"

I did gagoogity that girl. I gashmoigitied her gaflavity with my googis. And I am sorry.

Comment

also serious thought provoking question here

doesnt it seem that the cars nowadays are so techy that i kinda cuts the TUNER part of imports out

i mean prime example of this evo, gone are ANY need to wrench to put in that new clutch to bite harder

upgrades are steeper in price and also the wrench time for car of this magnitube require shops and leaves the home mechanic pretty much out of the loop

i really wanna see what XS engineering does when they get the new gtr, seeing how that car is EVEN more trackable out of the box, just better tires...................MAYBE

Comment

Originally posted by m-tec93accord
                              thus this was trully the way rally and road racing was going to

i wonder why honda didnt think of this, or the actual engineering prowness wasnt there

i eventually see the clutch pedal being a thing of the past
                              because there are much more things to go wrong with this system and there are many things honda cars can benefit from before this system is needed

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                              "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                              "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Working...
                              X