Speeding point system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speeding point system

OK i really dont know how to go by this so ill just wing it. Ok about 3wks ago i was on the NJ turnpike when i got caught doing 98mph in a 55mph zone. now i have at least 4 NJ law offices sending me letters in the mail saying that there lawyer wants to represent me. As far as my understanding is that NJ points dont carry over to NY point system. I spoke to a lawyer today from Nj and he said that it does and i will lose my license cuz its a 5 point violation. Ive spoken to others (not lawyers) and they said that the piont system does not carry over but i will lose my driving privilege in NJ. The lawyer that i spoke today said that i will lose it for 3 months in NJ. Then he said that i will lose it in NY cause i have 6 points in NY. So can someone tell me is this true or false or what. I have to go to court in LINDEN CITY MUNICIPAL COURT on the 12th.

Most lawyers will have a free line you can call and ask em that question and they will answer it for you. MIght wanna give that a try dunno if they have those up where your at. There are a few in tx.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

depending on the area, you will either speak to the cop or to the court prosecutor. they will give you two options, plea bargain and reduce the speed. this will give you a less-point ticket, but they still charge you the regular fine plus the court surcharge.

the other option is (i forget what they call it) but they will reduce the ticket to a 0 point non-moving ticket, but charge you a $250 state surcharge. plus the fine, plus the court surcharge. they may not give you this option depending on which court you go to, or because of the severity of the ticket, but last time i went, they went down the line and gave everybody the option.

98 / 55 is not going to be cheap.

as for the point transfer system, heres the deal though for NY / NJ:

new york will accept any NJ ticket at full point value - the reduced ticket point value, as far as i understand it. becuase thats the one that gets entered into the book.

if you lived in NJ, you wouldve lucked out, as they only accept a maximum of 2 points for any new york moving violation.

ive gotten a 98/55 before, but it was on route 84 between exits 5 and 4. i think the fine was around $300-400, but i never lost my license. i think it was reduced to 75/55 so thats what, 4 points? and youre allowed up to 11.

my recommendations:

save up cash, because NJ will FUCK YOU IN THE ASS with fines

go to a defensive driving course immediately. its like $25. if you could get there before your court date, the completion certificate they give you could make you look good to them, you could say you already went to it. plus itll raise the limit before you lose your license by 4 points, so 15 or more is suspension. plus if you bring the certificate to your insurance co, they give you a discount.

and about those lawyer things, thats just something retarded from the way NJ works. every time you get a ticket in NJ, expect at least 5+ advertisements from various firms. i pitch them all. they just get your name from somewhere and send out spam.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

i know a lawyer for $500 he will not let you lose your license and get you the minimum fine with no points!

get my number from mike if you are interested and ill give you more details over the phone.
        .............................-----------------93 Ex Coupe[/COLOR]-----------------

My CD7

Comment

thanks guys. this is going to be hard. let me go to court and see whats going to happen. fuck NJ

Comment

Fuck the point system glad I dont have to deal with that lol.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            I piss off people for fun.
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by oneoffaccord
              fuck NJ
              98 MPH in a 55?
              I hope they'll return the favour.
              2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
              Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
              1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
                ............the other option is (i forget what they call it) but they will reduce the ticket to a 0 point non-moving ticket, but charge you a $250 state surcharge. plus the fine, plus the court surcharge. they may not give you this option depending on which court you go to, or because of the severity of the ticket, but last time i went, they went down the line and gave everybody the option....
                That was what I did, I was doing 50 in 30 miles zone (two lane into one lane, so I had to pass the other car and I got caugth lol). I am supposed to pay $385 for the fine and the point. But in the end I paid $198 for everthing and 0 point by bringing the safety driving certificate and probation for 3 months.

Comment

The points carry over depending on state contracts. I know that PA n NJ didnt carry over untill recently when they made a deal and now a percentage of the points get transfered over. I dont know exact numbers.

You guys get a total of 11 points allowed? WTF PA its only 6, and then you get suspended for a min. of 90 days(for "Juniors" DL at least), pretty much why I still have no DL

The NJ suspension could be true. Only the state that issued your DL can suspend the Drivers License, But a different state can Suspend you from driving in their state. For example, only NY can say you are not allowed to drive anywhere. The most NJ or any other state can do is say you are not allowed to drive in their state. Story.

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

Originally posted by JohnD1079
                    The points carry over depending on state contracts. I know that PA n NJ didnt carry over untill recently when they made a deal and now a percentage of the points get transfered over. I dont know exact numbers.

You guys get a total of 11 points allowed? WTF PA its only 6, and then you get suspended for a min. of 90 days(for "Juniors" DL at least), pretty much why I still have no DL

The NJ suspension could be true. Only the state that issued your DL can suspend the Drivers License, But a different state can Suspend you from driving in their state. For example, only NY can say you are not allowed to drive anywhere. The most NJ or any other state can do is say you are not allowed to drive in their state. Story.
                    yea thats what i heard. well i have court wed nite at 6pm. wish me luck. does anyone know where its at?

Comment

Fuck man. This looks like its gonna get messy for you.....

Comment

Yo check this out. Its the DMV's website. http://www.nysdmv.com/license.htm#points

Scroll down to where it says Driver Violation Point System

"Out-of-state traffic violations: Except for Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS driver record if you commit an out-of-state traffic violation. Points can appear on your NYS driver record if you commit a traffic violation in Ontario or Quebec."

But the bottom of the page is copyrighted 2006 so maybe within the year the changed the rules

IDK but like i told you before i got a ticket in jersey before and it didnt show up on my NY record but that was a while ago. So idk whats gonna happen but im trying to help any way i can.....

Comment

YEA CHRIS I GOT IT. ill double post again

Out-of-state traffic violations: Except for Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS driver record if you commit an out-of-state traffic violation. Points can appear on your NYS driver record if you commit a traffic violation in Ontario or Quebec.

Comment

Violation Points Violation Points
                            Speeding (MPH over speed limit not indicated) 3 Following too closely 4
                            Speeding (MPH over speed limit): Passing improperly, changing lanes unsafely, driving to the left of center, driving in the wrong direction 3
                            1 - 10 MPH 3
                            11 - 20 MPH 4 Failed to obey a traffic signal, a Stop sign, or a Yield sign 3
                            21 - 30 MPH 6 Railroad crossing violation 3
                            31 - 40 MPH 8 Failed to yield the right-of-way 3
                            More than 40 MPH 11 Passenger safety violation, including seat belt and child safety seat violations for passengers under the age of 16 3
                            Reckless driving 5 Left the scene of an accident that includes property damage or the injury of a domestic animal 3
                            Failed to stop for a school bus 5 Other moving violations 2
                            Inadequate brakes 4 Inadequate brakes (vehicle of an employer)

Comment

Yeah they are fucked up and have shitty priorities. Drive down the left side of the road, three points. Five MPH over, same. :LOL:
                              I got 74 in a 50 in NY (wasn't paying attention to signs and the limit dropped) six points, lost driving privilgous in NY. Thankfully it didn't carry over to mass. $140 plus $300 for the NY safer driver thing or whatever its called.
                              Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Working...
                              X