Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

warning! only use honda intake manifold gaskets!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

warning! only use honda intake manifold gaskets!

i have been having coolant issues recently, all stemming from my intake manifold gasket. when i put my new motor in, we got an oreily's IM gasket and didnt think anything of it. it has been less than a year, and i have gone through 3 of these gaskets! they dont have a metal ring around the water port in the head and the coolant literally rots the paper of the gasket. the honda piece has a neoprene ring and a metal ring around this hole. its only $14, so pay the little extra and it wont break. damn, that sucked, having to try to limp to a gas station to buy a couple gallons of water, then keeping on filling them up wherever i could find a spigot...damn.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
    'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
    Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

when i used one, i doubled up on the coolant port with some silicone sealant, but still, i agree with you. sucky way of learning that though lol.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

i wouldnt trust anyone but only oem honda parts. their the ones who built and design the vehicle. more $$ but worth it.

Comment

When I replaced my head gasket and did a engine overhaul I made sure i used oem for head gasket, intake/exhaust gasket, valve cover gasket,etc. When messing with motors i prefer to spend the extra cash to ensure no surprised down the road
        1993 Accord LX - Sold
        93 BMW 525it - SOLD
        92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
        2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
        2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
        2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
        2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
        2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

i still jsut dont understand why the F22 has the thermostat coolant port on the intake manifold, and then just loops it right around with a 180° hose. seems arbitrarily unnecessary. h22 tstat is a much better design...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

hondata intake manifold ftw!

Comment

yea i have a phenolic spacer too but every gasket ive used so far has been fine with me.
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by sackingz123
                i wouldnt trust anyone but only oem honda parts. their the ones who built and design the vehicle. more $$ but worth it.
                YUP!! going OEM as far as parts seems like the best way to go...I learned the hard way with aftermarket axles
                92 LX. A6 with GUDE bullfrog Cam. M2S4 transmission..Gutted H23 intake mani. The rest you will just have to find out!

MR Thread:
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=174586
                My tribute page: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=70489

Comment

The gasket I bought from schucks had some silicone on it around the coolant port and it seems to be working fine on a few cars I've replaced it on.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

i slathered the water port on all three of the crappy ones, but they all blew out the same way; rotting through thr bottom.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                    'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                    Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

I just replaced mine, but used a FLEPRO part and it has the orange sealant-covered ring where the coolant pass through is. That's the first thing that I noticed, is where the coolant passes through...... I knew I had to use a good gasket for the IM re-install.
                      1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

I like Phenolic over OEM, but you are right in that not all gaskets are created equally.

Neither are most other parts for that matter, hence why Honda and Toyota have a rep for lasting a long time, and many other car companies don't.
                        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

phenolic FTW and ya OEM is prolly always the best way to go on most things. but for me my phenolic spacer has worked wonderfully

-sean
                          Members ride 15.927 @ 86.76 (f22a1)

Hit the clutch Hit the gear Hit the gas and i'm GONE>>>
                          Arcadia Green Crew #10

Comment

get ishino
                            either kill it or drift it...

2002 Toyota Tundra V8

Comment

Working...
                            X