power steering idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

power steering idea

i had this idea to modify the power steering ever since cpmike has mentioned it. i was thinking of replacing the belt driven hydraulic power steering pump that moves the power steering fluid through the system with a electric hydraulic pump. i understand that i would need something more heavy duty that could withstand the engine bay temps. i know that it wouldn't fully bring back the power steering but it would be an improvement over no power steering at all while not drawing any power from the engine. what do you guys think of this idea? any input is appreciated. im planning on doing this in the summer.
    The CB9 has been reborn into a CB3
    Members Ride - see my cb3 here - DOHC powah
    Check out my JDM F22B swap
    Watch my CB7 video

thats been my exact plan. i have all the lines set up and i know which pump im going to get, just havent gotten around to buying one yet

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

haha i have been scratching my head ever since you mentioned it. care to reveal any info on that pump. now i just need to find a good spot for the pump. i was thinking on the firewall behind the intake manifold.
      Watch my CB7 video

Comment

Originally posted by cb7wagonPL
        ...but it would be an improvement over no power steering at all while not drawing any power from the engine...
        And may I ask where this electric pump will get its power from? (hint hint)
        Me thinks it won't be as efficient, since it'll be going from mechanical (engine) to electrical (alternator) to hydraulic pressure (electric pump), instead of mechanical (engine) straight to hydraulic pressure (PS pump). That extra step will be not be 100% efficient. You'll loose some power in the form of heat.
        I don't think it'll be a huge difference, just food for thought. Maybe do a before and after dyno run.
        I could the benefits of having the PS pump on a switch, just shut it down when you want that last bit of engine power.
        Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Oh, and +1 for creativity/ingenuity
          Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

I always laughed at people that think one little belt is taking away that much power from your motor. PS pump does not mater all that much. Your A/C draws more then the PS.
            !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I always laughed at people that think AC causes a loss of power when its off.

AC presents almost 0 parasitic drag when it's off. Power Steering is constant. Believe it or not, I noticed a difference in acceleration with the belt off.

Comment

otto - thanx for the input. i plan to run the power from the battery and install a fuse. an on/off switch is a great idea. honestly im not expecting anywhere near 100% efficency because i know its pretty much impossible with a set up like this. i just want something that will aide in parallel parking for example. i did some research about how electric power steering works and its a completly different concept that uses a small motor that does the job and is regulated by speed and torque. im simply trying to change what will power the powersteering.

like deev said there is some difference with no ps. it is not as noticeable at a cruising speed but from a dead stop there is a little extra there. and if you try turning the ac compressor when its off it will spin freely with 0 resistance therefore removing it is pointless for powergains.
                Watch my CB7 video

Comment

Originally posted by cb7wagonPL
                  otto - thanx for the input. i plan to run the power from the battery and install a fuse. an on/off switch is a great idea. honestly im not expecting anywhere near 100% efficency because i know its pretty much impossible with a set up like this. i just want something that will aide in parallel parking for example. i did some research about how electric power steering works and its a completly different concept that uses a small motor that does the job and is regulated by speed and torque. im simply trying to change what will power the powersteering.

like deev said there is some difference with no ps. it is not as noticeable at a cruising speed but from a dead stop there is a little extra there. and if you try turning the ac compressor when its off it will spin freely with 0 resistance therefore removing it is pointless for powergains.

Who said anything about A/C on vs off?
                  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

You compared the AC to the PS in terms of parasitic loss... the AC presents almost none when off, whereas the PS is a constant power drain. Unless you race with the AC on, it really has no bearing.

Comment

Most people would remove their A/C first before removing their PS. I wouldn't remove either. They are not that big a deal for a daily driver.
                      !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

idea cred +1 lol... me and mike have discussed this many times and have et to find an answer but it WILL happen in the future

"Tucking tires and wires."
                        The Chronicles.

Comment

Anyone stop the think... If this was such a great idea and power saver, wouldn't you think Honda would have done that to begin with?
                          !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

A/C weighs more and isn't as needed (for most people) as PS. So I think those two make A/C removal more common. Also (as in my case) the A/C may not work and not be worth it to fix, so out it goes.

But anyways, I'm actually interested in this electric PS myself. I think it would be great if it was automatic, too. It could run at speeds under 5 or 10 MPH, then shut off at higher speeds.
                            Last edited by Otto; 03-24-2007, 08:25 PM.

Comment

with the a/c off, its a free spinning pulley and does not cause any parasitic drag.

the whole reason behind this is to allow power steering to be able to be turned on and off whenever its needed. which is not very often, just when parking. plus the stock pump takes up too much room, and i dont have a spot on my crank pulley for the belt. in that case, considering parasitic drag from the electrical system on the alternator is pointless, as the pump will be turned off most of the time.

this is a very realistic idea, and im just about done implementing it. i just dont have a spare $100 for the pump, which is surprisingly hard to locate. i already have all the lines set up, and i have the electrical diagrams- theres more involved than one would imagine, its a very high torque, high current motor. when turned on, it will cause a surge that will probably cause the headlights to dim. theres of course easy methods around such problems, but i wont go into any detail until im finished hooking it up.

Originally posted by J-specCb4
                              idea cred +1 lol... me and mike have discussed this many times and have et to find an answer but it WILL happen in the future
                              correct. me and chris have discussed this a long time ago, and he was the one who found the right pump that will work!

Originally posted by 4thgenaccord
                              Anyone stop the think... If this was such a great idea and power saver, wouldn't you think Honda would have done that to begin with?
                              they did. nsx, s2000, etc. just when our cars were made, it wasnt mainstream yet. other companies have been implementing different versions of it in production cars for many years now, as far back as the mid 90's.
                              Last edited by cp[mike]; 03-24-2007, 08:28 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                              Current cars:
                              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Working...
                              X