Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone doing a electronic engineering degree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im thinking about RF engineering myself

Comment

Any engineering is going to have it's fair level of math. All engineering majors at my college require Calc 1-4, as well as differential equations/discrete algebra.

So it really is unescapeable. I'm a chem eng. major and I'm still getting my ass handed to me when it comes to math in a few classes (Process Control comes to mind) but I had a lot of trouble with some of the higher level physics classes I had to take.

I took the Fundamentals of Engineering exam, which is the preliminary test to become a Professional Engineer. It touches on all disciplines of engineering. It's an eight hour test divided into two parts. The first part is all disciplines. The second part can be all disciplines or discipline specific. The level of math and physics retention on that exam was absolutely crazy. I ended up taking the discipline specific part for the second half. I was able to pass the exam though, which I'm pumped about. (Retaking it would have cost another $150 on top of the original $185 investment.)

Comment

oh the joys of architecture eng. tech. im glad its saturday

Comment

Originally posted by 93accordexcoupe
          oh the joys of architecture eng. tech. im glad its saturday
          mm...all of the arch majors at my school can't wait till its the weekend, and even then they are still hard at work in studio...glad im a business major...maybe wont be so glad when your making twice as much as me in the future.
          Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Sport

Comment

yea so i guess EE is out for me. Does anyone know what the official name is for a person that hooks home entertainment up? Does that pay good and is it a stable job?
            1991 Cb7 Coupe 5 Speed--SOLD
            2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V-- SOLD
            1994 Acura Legend GS
            Car Pics

Comment

Originally posted by xczechboyx
              yea so i guess EE is out for me. Does anyone know what the official name is for a person that hooks home entertainment up? Does that pay good and is it a stable job?
              how would you know you can't be an EE. you haven't even tried, go for it!

Comment

thanks for all the input guys. Well theres one problem, I'm not that good in math. College algebra was kicking my ass during my first semester in college lol. I just have no idea wut to do for college. Electricity is the only thing i have interest in. I was thinink about being one of those guys who hook up tvs and surround sounds for business and homes. I already do it at work every day so it wont be that hard. Hopefull the EE degree will help me get a job in that.
                thats what happened to me...failed Calc II twice...switched over to Industrial Technology specializing in maybe manufacturing.

calc one is only needed along with statistics.
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

i did a year and a half of computer engineering (until i took a break) which is the same core curriculum as EE minus a few computer related courses. definately tons of math, but im a math and science guy. calc 1, 2, 3, and differential equations are all required, and very abstract. its a hard degree especially if you dont really like it or cant do the math... electronics theory is all math, and electrical engineering isnt fixing TVs, its designing circuits.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                  - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                  - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                  Current cars:
                  - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                  - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Why did you change your mind about being an Electrical Engineer? I wouldn't change my mind because its hard, life doesn't work that way. You got to work hard to succeed. Nothing is given to you. But if its really not what you want to do then good luck with your next choice. I'm an EE major and its difficult, not impossible. If you have interest in the materials it helps out a lot. The thevenin, norton, ohm, current dividers, voltage dividers, transistors, op-amps etc etc are all your friends.

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
                      i did a year and a half of computer engineering (until i took a break) which is the same core curriculum as EE minus a few computer related courses. definately tons of math, but im a math and science guy. calc 1, 2, 3, and differential equations are all required, and very abstract. its a hard degree especially if you dont really like it or cant do the math... electronics theory is all math, and electrical engineering isnt fixing TVs, its designing circuits.

thankfully calc 3 is replaced with engineering math in my ME curriculum. that doesnt sound like a fun class.
                      -Mark-
                      CB7
                      CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
                      Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior
                        Any engineering is going to have it's fair level of math. All engineering majors at my college require Calc 1-4, as well as differential equations/discrete algebra.

So it really is unescapeable. I'm a chem eng. major and I'm still getting my ass handed to me when it comes to math in a few classes (Process Control comes to mind) but I had a lot of trouble with some of the higher level physics classes I had to take.

I took the Fundamentals of Engineering exam, which is the preliminary test to become a Professional Engineer. It touches on all disciplines of engineering. It's an eight hour test divided into two parts. The first part is all disciplines. The second part can be all disciplines or discipline specific. The level of math and physics retention on that exam was absolutely crazy. I ended up taking the discipline specific part for the second half. I was able to pass the exam though, which I'm pumped about. (Retaking it would have cost another $150 on top of the original $185 investment.)
                        congrats on passing the examination

Comment

i think to go RF engineer you have to have a core of ee classes .. something im thinking about getting into since i operate multichannel satellites dish systems

Comment

I've just finished my 5th year of a dual degree in Microelectronic Engineering and IT. Electrical Engineering is a bit different to Electronic Engineering. I'm talking about degrees here in Australia but I'd assume it is pretty similar over there.

Typically Electrical Eng leads to jobs in power distribution or other high power stuff. Electronic Eng will lead to low power stuff. There are probably two main routes you can go. Communications or Computers. I have friends who majored in comms and are working in jobs to do with mobile(cell) phone coverage and antenna's. This side of things will include stuff in signal processing, compression, encoding and antenna design.

On the computer systems side of things, which is what I'm doing, a typical job will involve a few things.

- Electronic circuit design. Depending what field you're in this can include analogue circuits. But these days it is mainly digital circuits. Which is mainly interfacing chips.
                            - PCB Schematic design. Once you've designed a circuit you have to lay it out on the pcb.
                            - Firmware Design. This is pretty much just programming the microcontrollers that you've built the circuit around in the other stages.
                            - There is also likely to be some software design. Used to test the hardware etc...

Like others have said. The degree itself includes a fair bit of maths. But it's not all theoretical maths. The pure maths stops after the first couple of years. Then it is more applied stuff to electronics related aspects. Which is more bareable.

Hopefully this has helped.

From the sounds of things. You're more interested in home electronics. Possibly a job in repairs or installation like you say. Home electronic repairs is probably a dying trade. Most things are just replaced these days. Installation would probably be linked to the sales side of things.

Over here we have technical colleges called TAFE that you can do lesser degrees like diplomas in lots of stuff. But they tend to be more practical than university. Maybe something like that would be more what you're after. Or just an electrician trade.
                            Last edited by Cam; 01-21-2007, 09:22 AM.
                            Members Ride Thread

Comment

Im graduating in one year. Im an electrical engineer major. If you love it go for it, but its not for the lazy, if you slack itll chew you up and spit you back out.
                              To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior
                                My best friend's an electronics engineer.
                                Why didn't you just say 1/2 of Teksi(Chris) is an electronic engineer? From my experience(both my bf and my father being EE's) it seems like a pretty cool area to me. By far NOT my expertise though. My dad works designing circuit boards etc. Chris, the other poster on this name works for Lockheed Martin. I have no clue what he does, because he can't say, but he seems to like it.

Comment

Working...
                                X