LCD monitor bugs my eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LCD monitor bugs my eyes

Im not sure what im doing wrong but I recently upgraded to an Acer 19" al1916wasd monitor from a Samsung 17" CRT flatscreen, and recently it has been bugging my eyes, now im thinking of returning it for a Samsung to see if it makes any difference. I just want some possible things I could look into like monitor calibration, ergonomics, ambient lighting, etc, to see if that would reduce the strain and bugginess feeling it gives my eyes. I have calibrated it with Nvidia software and also Adobe Gamma. Currently running at full resolution.

heres a link
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...357532&CatId=0

and the one im looking at
    http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/m...9habtbvxaa.asp

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
    "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
    "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

LCD monitors look different than CRTs, all of them. It takes a bit to adjust, but once you do, it is bliss.
    Gary A.K.A. Carter
    [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

yea when i first made the switch it was like that. blink more often or something.

Comment

its best to run it at native resolution mang

A wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
        Frost White CB7 Crew - Member #4
        Official Ebay Whore Crew #9

Comment

Originally posted by skubydobdo
          its best to run it at native resolution mang
          native resolution?

Im running my 5-6 year old NEC CRT 19in flat screen at 1280x1024, but my LCD laptop monitor can only handle 1240x980.

the CRT monitor is FAR better for any sort of graphics quality, at least in my case. I can understand that the deficiencies in my LCD screen are because its a terribly low res one installed on a Dell laptop with a not so special video card, but . . . still. My CRT is alot better, and most people who use thier monitors for gaming would agree with me.
          -Mark-
          CB7
          CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
          Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

i dont know anything about the one you have now, but the samsung one is a nice monitor. i have the samsung 204b running at 1600x1200. i like it alot, and havent had any issues at all. before this one, i had a nec flatscreen. i didnt need any adjusting going from a crt to the lcd, but maybe thats just me.

Comment

and most people who use thier monitors for gaming would agree with me.
              Not so fast.

My old 17" CRT was nice, but my new 19" LCD is far superior. Be sure to get one with a fast refresh rate and it can be much better than a CRT. I'm at native 1280 and my games never looked better, although running at a higher res puts more stress on the system when playing higher end games.

Laptop lcd's seriously can't compare, they are made for power efficiency in most cases. Before I got this monitor I would've agree'd with you though.

BTW, mine is a viewsonic VX924

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
              where you been, is something wrong?
              i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

check the refresh frequency of your monitor...put it up as much as possible. Some people get bothered by low frequency flicker b/c ur eyes are always trying to focus to it.

Go to Display Properties (right mouse button on desktop and properties), then click on Advanced, under Monitor tab adjust Screen Refresh Rate: as high as possible.

ur eyes will thank u.

enjoy
                DEVOTE

Comment

yeah, real newer LCD screens are much better with refresh rates. Some older models dont like to run at a different resolutions for gaming. I have a dual monitor setup with a 19" NEC crt as main, with a 17" NEC lcd as secondary. My lcd is nothing special but the crt is pure eye candy running 1200x1600. All i play is M$ flight simulator, speaking of which, i ran off the damn runway today landing a 747 into Key West. I re-mapped the keys on my joystick and accidentally deleted the brakes button. Full reverse and spoilers alone didnt get the job done. Sorry about the rant. ANYWAYS, use some Visine

A wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
                  Frost White CB7 Crew - Member #4
                  Official Ebay Whore Crew #9

Comment

i still refuse to ever use an LCD. ive just never seen one that ive ever liked the view on... they have motion blurs, single-pixel checkerboard patterns cause weird shapes, and black just doesnt look right if it isnt coming from a shiny glass screen.

my dad always tried to offer me a new 19" lcd, but id never take it over my 17" mitsubishi semi-flat (one of the first ones) CRT. at least until it died recently :\ now im using some other crappy 17" crt, but id still take this over an LCD...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                    Current cars:
                    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

wanna buy my old kds 17" flat crt?

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                      where you been, is something wrong?
                      i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

CRT > LCD

Always and forever.

Comment

you guys de relise that you cant even buy crts anymore? your gonna have to switch to lcd sooner or later. I went from a 19crt to a 17" lcd as far as games go theres no difference

My Members Ride Page

Comment

There is certaintly a build quality/component quality issue as well. You can't compare an off-brand LCD to a top of the line Viewsonic CRT. I had an old 15" HP monitor that came with an old computer and I could see ghosting/and wierd orange around the individual pixels.
                            But, I upgraded to a 19" Widescreen Viewsonic ULTRACLEAR DVI LCD with the glass overlay, and it looks more crisp than an LCD.

Also, check out www.omegadrivers.net This guy writes custom code for ATI cards and it includes a program called MultiRes with which you can force a higher resolution/refresh rate. I am currently running at 70Hz. Good luck.
                            Why? Because... Life Happens @ 4500 RPM

Frost White CB7 Member 31

Comment

Originally posted by Stealthman80
                              you guys de relise that you cant even buy crts anymore? your gonna have to switch to lcd sooner or later. I went from a 19crt to a 17" lcd as far as games go theres no difference
                              you do realize that you are wrong.

CRT's are just as common as LCD's, and will never DIE.

LCD shadowing for teh lose!

Comment

Working...
                              X