Need Advice....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Advice....

I need some advice. Well here's my situation. I went to a shop I always go to, to get my H22A swapped in my car. They first gave me an estimate of $800 to do it. I was like aight cool....I know it prolly gonna be more, since modification needs to be done....ok. Well they're about done now...they just need to weld a piece of exhaust in to replace the cat and they need to put in the new ecu and wire that up for v-tec, etc....They started it up last night...fired right up first crank...so so far they have done a good job. Now....the bills is gonna be around $2300-2500....way more than I expected. And guess what...I don't have the money lol. I only have $1500. Now I went in there and talked about why the price was so high...and he had everything listed out....so it added up. But what should I do...I'm not gonna have enough to pick my car up. The only thing I can think of is letting them hold my car for two weeks until I can afford the rest. You guys have any other options? lol

ps....I know I made a huge mistake not anticipating that this might happen....I'm gonna learn from it....yes I'm a kid...only 20...stupid stupid me lol....

Buying Your Tan Interior Parts ( Click Here )
    .::.My Member's Ride Section.::.
    .::._____My Myspace______.::.

holy FUCK man, i cant imagine throwing that much money at anybody to do a swap. i should start charging $1k...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Ahhh man you need some cb7t friends, going rate on a swap is like $500-600

And I'm almost certain they're not allowed to do work that will cost more without letting you know beforehand. Like if you take your car in for an oil change and they swap your motor w/o asking you first they can't charge you. Sounds fishy.

Originally posted by lordoja
      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

well when they started doing the wiring...which basically made up most the bill, they did tell me its gonna start costing by yhe hour for that., I guess then tok there sweet ass time on it cause the wiiring alone was about 498....on the bill....then little stuff like ac....$125 there....it just started adding up...I wish I had some cb7tuner friend in south fl...that do this swap lol...I was even thinking about towing my car up north to get it down..should have! would have been cheaper...and prolly funner too.

Comment

500 bucks to wire up 3 lines....lmao....you are getting had my friend. Or wait.....did you change from external to internal dizzy core? The whole wiring job takes about half hour tops, hour for the less electrically inclined.....
          my ride

Comment

well what they did was...since they didnt take the prelude harness off..( EVEN THOUGH I GAVE THEM INSTRUCTIONS...THAT STATED AT THE TOP...USE ACCORD WIRING HARNESS...FIRST WORDS ON THE PAPER! ) anyways...lol, they had to take the prelude harness off, take the old one off the other engine, put the accord harness on the prelude...then take the egr off the old engine and put it on the new one, and yes..the converted it to internal coil. plus a little more things...they said this took them the longest out of everything. maybe its harder taking off the wiring harness if the engine is in the car already? I dunno...but thats what they charged me for.

Comment

that sucks...looks like they'll be holding your ride for 2 weeks. that's why i don't take my car to shops anymore...good luck.

My Old Ride Thread

Comment

yeah..sucks...you think if I give him the $1500 right now, he'll be a little happier about me living the car there for two weeks? I like this place...they do good work, I don't want to piss them off.

Comment

Originally posted by 93Akkord
                  yeah..sucks...you think if I give him the $1500 right now, he'll be a little happier about me living the car there for two weeks? I like this place...they do good work, I don't want to piss them off.
                  i would think he'd be okay with it...might charge you some sort of fee, tho. you know, liability and all that...depends on how well you know the guy.

My Old Ride Thread

Comment

I can't believe you actually wasted that much fuckin' money on nothing but LABOR.

HOLY SHIT.

Comment

well, they may do good work, but it sounds like they dont do good business. gloryaccordy's right..they should usually tell you, "hey, this is gonna cost like 3 times what you thought...that ok"? But on the other hand, you should've said "hey, i only have $1500..do you think it'll cost more?" But dude--even with evtra mods..it shoudnt have gone over $1500...

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                      Originally posted by Jarrett
                      Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by chile
                        i would think he'd be okay with it...might charge you some sort of fee, tho. you know, liability and all that...depends on how well you know the guy.
                        yeah I know him good...for about 4 years now...his replaced a clutch and a tranny for me...as far as major engine work goes....he even offered me a beer last night when I went to go look at the car. I know their policy is after 3 days...they start to charge 30 a day..soo lol

Comment

has anyone ever had to do this before....leave the car there cause they didnt have all the money at that time? lol

Comment

In Massachusetts, a shop that gives you an estimate has to be within 5% of their estimate, or have a clause in the original estimate that they point out saying it may cost more.

I'd look into that.

Comment

Originally posted by 93Akkord
                              I need some advice. Well here's my situation. I went to a shop I always go to, to get my H22A swapped in my car. They first gave me an estimate of $800 to do it. I was like aight cool....I know it prolly gonna be more, since modification needs to be done....ok. Well they're about done now...they just need to weld a piece of exhaust in to replace the cat and they need to put in the new ecu and wire that up for v-tec, etc....They started it up last night...fired right up first crank...so so far they have done a good job. Now....the bills is gonna be around $2300-2500....way more than I expected. And guess what...I don't have the money lol. I only have $1500. Now I went in there and talked about why the price was so high...and he had everything listed out....so it added up. But what should I do...I'm not gonna have enough to pick my car up. The only thing I can think of is letting them hold my car for two weeks until I can afford the rest. You guys have any other options? lol

ps....I know I made a huge mistake not anticipating that this might happen....I'm gonna learn from it....yes I'm a kid...only 20...stupid stupid me lol....
                              Holy shit!! Dude, next time ask and you'll receive, i know this cat that lives in the Fort lauderdale area which would've done the swap in your driveway in 16hrs for about a 1/4 of that cost! he would even sold you his built h22 for cheaper than what you paid for yours(I can almost guarantee it). Those guys are trying to rip you off. There is no way they could quote around $800 then charge to $2200, impossible. Bitch at them or get your dad to bitch at thema dn threaten to call BBB and I bet they will reduce that price significantly! Try it, you have nothing to lose!
                              1993 Accord LX - Sold
                              93 BMW 525it - SOLD
                              92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
                              2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
                              2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
                              2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
                              2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
                              2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

Working...
                              X