any other webmasters in the house?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any other webmasters in the house?!?

Currently, I run a bootleg torrent tracker/community... but have been admin at multiple other forums (all torrent related)

was owner of a couple other trackers previous to this one
    (Tracker420, Tracker421)

anyone else here own/administrate/moderate a website?
    (if so, I may need to grill you on some BIND DNS inquiries I've been fumbling with)

Originally posted by Phempa
    Currently, I run a bootleg torrent tracker/community... but have been admin at multiple other forums (all torrent related)

was owner of a couple other trackers previous to this one
    (Tracker420, Tracker421)

anyone else here own/administrate/moderate a website?
    (if so, I may need to grill you on some BIND DNS inquiries I've been fumbling with)
    What exactly is it that you're trying to do?

Comment

i dont currently have any web projects going, but i guess i could consider myself a "webmaster" (i like to think of myself as more of a software developer who happens to know web languages).

you can hit me with your DNS problems if you want. Im sure i can help...

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

right on. well I see you have the wiki goin, which is definitely cool. (got one at shnflac as well)

my only real issue with DNS has got something to do with PTR records.
        I have a webmail script, and it will send email fine, but trying to send an email to any @shnflac.net email address returns this mail delivery error.

PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): 554 <username@shnflac.net>: Relay access denied

running a quick test at pingability.com returns almost everything normal except this error:
        Originally posted by Mail Server Info
        This mail server has no reverse DNS (PTR) record. Some email servers require a PTR record from any server that connects to them and reject any email from a mail server without a PTR record.

Comment

been "webmastering" since 1996 when i made my first website

i love it. i do html, php, javascript, sql and some perl. ive always run my own server (apache, php, mysql) at home until recently, and i love making websites. i also do photoshop and 3dsmax work, and i use web design as a way of applying my graphics work to something worthwhile.

dont currently have any active real ones, besides my cheesy personal one that i threw together (mainly use it just for hosting images): http://www.****.com/

a friend and i put together adminity.net, a website devoted to programming, design, development, hacking, network security, etc. its since been taken down, i have more fun making the website than actually running it ill see if i have any versions of it stored on my current server.

btw i think doctorcipher was asking about your DNS issues, as hes a network admin dude and has plenty of experience with it.

what mail server is sendmail connecting to?
          Last edited by cp[mike]; 06-29-2006, 01:06 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Mail Server Info
            This mail server has no reverse DNS (PTR) record. Some email servers require a PTR record from any server that connects to them and reject any email from a mail server without a PTR record.
            Sounds like it might be an Authentication issue? is your webmail script using a "sender"

sometimes when servers receive an email from an anonymous sender they reject the request. can you post the code of your script?

Comment

Originally posted by Accord R33
              Sounds like it might be an Authentication issue? is your webmail script using a "sender"

sometimes when servers receive an email from an anonymous sender they reject the request. can you post the code of your script?
              i agree, especially if youre connecting to a different host than the one the http server is running on.

if you set the mail script to login to the mail server using your own admin login name and pass, it should let you relay. eric is right, finding a mail server that will let you relay from any address is quite rare... to the mail server, the @shnflac.net means nothing. you need to login to let it know that you are who you say you are, and you should be ok.

+1, post the mail code if you can.
              Last edited by cp[mike]; 06-29-2006, 01:19 PM.

Current cars:

Comment

well, the mail script I cannot post, as it was a $40 script, and I don't wanna piss off the creator before I even get to use it :P

but, it's this:
                http://www.worldwidecreations.com/wo..._messenger.htm

I know, I know... theres easier, cheaper ways of doing it... but I like all the options this has right out of the box.

Anyways... the mail server will be running off of a single local POP box, and the script stores mail using a mysql database.
                After intense googling, I THINK it may have something to do with SMTP-AUTH and TLS... neither of which are running on my server (after telnet localhost 25 -> ehlo localhost)

The entire system was updated yesterday with the latest versions of Webmin and all modules/programs.

But the PTR record needs to be fixed for sure... just don't know how to tackle it.

It's a dedicated server with no support from the ISP, but should I contact them anyways to see if it has something to do with them? I am using their nameserver as a secondary for my domain.

btw, cp[mike]... I like your personal site, very snazzy gfx and interface

Comment

I hate web work.

But as a graphic designer I learned some stuff in the process of school.

My website is below in the sig.
                  members/ride | the/website
                  180 hp/145 ft-lb

Comment

Originally posted by Phempa
                    btw, cp[mike]... I like your personal site, very snazzy gfx and interface
                    too bad he hasnt updated his blog in over a year

But the 'dr3AMing' pictures is awesome!

Comment

too bad he hasnt updated his blog in over a year
                      shhh...
                      But the 'dr3AMing' pictures is awesome!
                      steve made that image the weekend i was at his house to help with his swap. i fell asleep and him and jason (93accordEX) took the pic

phempa - i didnt get to really read into the link, but thats not an actual smtp server is it? just a web based email system? when youre telnetting into the smtp server, after the ehlo (try the ehlo & the full email address insted of localhost) are you doing USER and PASS commands at all?

if you dont want to post the whole script, just paste the mail sending portion if possible...

Current cars:

Comment

i've run several sites, over the past 8 or 9 years. ran my own server for a while.

a few running now, nothing special. no database stuff, nothing really dynamic.

i took over fourthgenhatch.net a while back, revamped and recoded it.

my personal site, gutterslide.com

an mp3 blog indexing site, blogatron.50webs.com

a few others, but again, nothing special.

fourthgenhatch.net

Comment

I have my own website. www.WayneSobanek.com

Yeah im famous.

I suck at websites though. I wish I was good concidering i have my AS in web design, ehh

Comment

Originally posted by Maple50175
                            I suck at websites though. I wish I was good concidering i have my AS in web design, ehh
                            thats just resume food, it means nothing.

There is a kid at work that i supervise..he is a computer science graduate. but he doesnt know ANYTHING about anything. he didnt even know what wifi was! common!

I think its funny that iv only completed my first junior semester and im his boss...goes to show!

Comment

Working...
                            X