So my hard drive took a crap on me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So my hard drive took a crap on me...

Yeah, it's most likely done. 80 gigs of music, video games, anime (including every initial D episode) all gone... thankfully I invested in this POS laptop!

So that, combined with my new job, is why I haven't been around. If anyone has sent me paypal orders for decals, I appologize. I'll do my best! This laptop is REALLY bad though, so I try not to spend too much time on it. This is my first time online in about 5 days (or whenever my last thread in OT was!)

I'll be ordering a new drive soon... and then I'll have to immediately back up the board (I haven't saved the most recent backup to a CD yet...) I might do it at an annoying time, so bear with me! I don't want to lose anything important!

If anyone needs to get in touch, PM me. I get those first when I log on.

Damn deev that shit puled a juggernaut on you you better run charleslol j/k But yeah that comp from the time you had it really did do its job and took it like a champ. Its time to bounce back homey.

Comment

was it a dell ? I cooked my 1100's harddrive bout 2 months ago by over heating, now i'm using an Alien Ware laptop and its cool, i kno the feeling tho man,
      93 Accord- SOLD
      94 Civic- F22a1 Swap, current DD

Comment

damn that sucks man. i worry about that happening to my Maxtor 60gig. it has my entire MP3 collection, some pics, and all of my tv episodes. oh and my ROM collection!

runs to back up hard drive...
        "the J32a2 should be considered one of Honda's masterpieces..." Honda Tuning, July 2006

Comment

Never a Dell! I built that thing myself! My girl gave me that drive 4 years ago for christmas. I suppose I can't knock Dell too bad though... I'm on one right now. And it's all original parts, from 1997!

I'm planning on ordering a 250gig drive from Tiger Direct for like $110. Not really money I have right now, but I can't do without my computer!

Comment

when my hard drive crapped out on my old destop the computer place we went to was able to save pretty much all the files on it somehow. Im not really sure how . . . but they did.
            -Mark-
            CB7
            CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
            Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

how did it die? ive lost gigs of movies music and games too, but also my websites, graphics, and computer programs too... lost a few drives in the past, including one recently- the drive would sometimes start to read the filestructure, but it started to click and the computer could never access it... so i found an identical used drive on ebay for cheap and swapped circuit boards on it, it worked perfectly after. lasted about 6 months, then it happned again, i put the drive in the freezer overnight and then hooked it up and it worked perfectly for 10 hours before dying, but i managed to copy everythign off. now i use a new drive

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
              Current cars:
              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Freezer, eh? I'll have to try that!

Basically, it clicked when it started up (I have another that clicks as it runs... well, it did when it ran.) After the clicking stopped, which was just before most of the memory test displays, it seemed normal. But when it began to load windows, it would hang... sometimes restart. I tried to repair the windows installation, and it said it was corrupt. I tried to re-install windows (of course, my 2k disc is pretty beat up... works, but I think some files are missing). It reinstalled most of the way, but it would hang at the "saving settings" part of the finalization. If I let it sit for a bit, I'd get the blue screen of death. Occasionally, it would give me an error (with an option to see the log... something new to me) after entering the CD key. I haven't reformatted (which I did last time it started acting this way) and I hope to be able to salvage my goodies before it's done!

Comment

Have you ever heard of bart PE? It's a preinstalltion environment that might be helpful, but if you built your own computer you probably know more than me

Comment

clicking is often the sound of a controller failure, unless the heads dropped and scratched the discs... freezer might work deev, find enough space somewhere to hold everything, plug it in and get to work copying! if you dont get to finish in time, put it back in the freezer and finish the rest the next day... often works.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                    Current cars:
                    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I can probably get you a 250 gig from work for a decent price..we have 320s too, but they are much harder for me to snatch.

EDIT: I can also try and copy the old data onto the new drive at work too..we have all kinds of fun tools

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Originally posted by Accord R33
                        I can probably get you a 250 gig from work for a decent price..we have 320s too, but they are much harder for me to snatch.

EDIT: I can also try and copy the old data onto the new drive at work too..we have all kinds of fun tools
                        Cheap 250 gig, eh Eric? How cheap's cheap?

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior
                          Cheap 250 gig, eh Eric? How cheap's cheap?
                          considering i *get* them for free...name your price haha.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Damn, now I wish I didn't drop $103 on a 250 from tiger direct this morning!

I'm hoping to do an in-car system though, so if you could hook me up Eric, that would be awesome. I'll be in touch about that!

Comment

Working...
                            X