Exxon Mobil posts largest quarterly profit ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exxon Mobil posts largest quarterly profit ever

IRVING, Texas - Exxon Mobil Corp. had a quarter for the record books.

The world’s largest publicly traded oil company said Thursday high oil and natural-gas prices helped its third-quarter profit surge almost 75 percent to $9.92 billion, the largest quarterly profit for a U.S. company ever, and it was the first to ring up more than $100 billion in quarterly sales.

Net income ballooned to $9.92 billion, or $1.58 per share, from $5.68 billion, or 88 cents per share, a year ago.

Excluding certain items, earnings were $8.3 billion, or $1.32 per share, versus $6.23 billion, or 96 cents per share, in the 2004 quarter.

Analysts polled by Thomson Financial, on average, predicted earnings excluding items of $1.38 per share.

Revenue grew to $100.72 billion from $76.38 billion in the prior-year period.

Howard Silverblatt, equity analyst at Standard & Poor’s, said both the net income and sales figures are all-time records for publicly traded U.S. companies.

The hurricanes slashed Exxon Mobil’s U.S. production volumes by 50,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day, down nearly 5 percent year-over-year, costing the company $45 million before taxes. The company said total daily production slipped to 2.45 million barrels of oil equivalent from 2.51 million barrels.

“Following the hurricanes, Exxon Mobil maximized gasoline production from all of our refineries which were operating in the U.S., and increased imports from overseas affiliates to meet U.S. demand,” said Chairman Lee R. Raymond.

Earnings from U.S. upstream operations increased by $498 million to $1.67 billion, while U.S. downstream earnings jumped $548 million to $1.11 billion. In the U.S. and abroad, income from the company’s chemicals segment declined by $537 million to $472 million, as raw materials costs squeezed margins.

The company cautioned that reduced volumes and higher costs will also hurt the fourth quarter.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9837574/

I guess we know where our extra gas money went to...
    the oil industry is launching an ad campaign based on the "we're all in this together" philosophy to try and avert attention to their record profits.

My ride RS6 HELLA Bi-xenon ECE retrofitted CB7
    www.maketradefair.com

Fat fucks.

Comment

youre welcome for making you guys the richest guys ever.

at least prices are going back down, last night i was getting gas and watched the crazy indian go around and change all the price signs to "2.65" instead of "2.69"... SLOWLY dropping...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

we were talking about this in one of my classes and the professor said that gas companies have so much money that they don't know what to do with it. they just have to invest.

Comment

The real question is, when is the government going to get involved and start investigating the price gouging going on.....It is illegal.
          my ride

Comment

I've heard that gas sold at 15 cents/gal would still give the oil companies a decent profit.

It's a sad day when you're happy about spending $2.39/gal

Comment

its 2.17 here, drive here and get gas?

Comment

It isn't exactly illegal, but it certainly does warrant action. They need to make it illegal since it is such a vital part of our economy and clearly, attributing the price increases to "supply shortages as a result of the hurricanes" was clearly mis-leading. To some extent that is true, but obviously not to the extent that gas prices were increased. We are pretty close to where we were before the hurricane though.

I still want my money back. The US should make them donate that to the rebuilding of New Orleans/ Gulf Coast. Fat Bastards.
                The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

the government won't do anything. oil companies are the ones that pay for most of the election campaigns. if washington gets on the oil company's bad side, no reelection for them.

Comment

Price gouging is illegal, And companies caught doing it could recieve serious fines and possible jail time for CEO's. It is obviously happening it's just that no one will start the investigation over on capitol hill.
                    my ride

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorCipher
                      Fat fucks.
                      lol, its true

Comment

Working...
                      X