Computer Techies check in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer Techies check in

I have a problem on my hands. I recently got a used Gateway with a Pentium 3 processor.

The big problem is the computer says it doesn't have an OS on it. I have a Windows 98 Start-Up disk that Im trying to boot in so I can see whats in this computer and fix it up and what not.

Now its asking for a command prompt on the 'A' Drive. Talk about ancient shit. If anyone here can help me out Id highly appreciate it.
    Henry R
    Koni/Neuspeed
    1992 Accord LX R.I.P
    1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
    Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
    made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Win98 startup disc? If it has no OS, you need an install disc. I LOVE win2k professional... you can download a working copy from www.isohunt.com via bit torrent (you didn't hear that from me!)

Most older computers look to the A drive for the boot disc. I never even bother making one anymore (mainly because I don't have a working floppy drive!) Don't bother with it. Just get win2k pro, and reformat. You'll be happy, and you're computer will be clean! Just be sure to format in NTFS format, not FAT32. If you ever need to reinstall win2k to fix things, it's not too hard to just install it over the existing file system, and not lose anything.

Comment

But you know what really sucks lol. Its my new pc does not have a floppy but I'm gonna try and burn the program to a cd rom you think that would work?
      Henry R
      Koni/Neuspeed
      1992 Accord LX R.I.P
      1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
      Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
      made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

main problem might be the whole "gateway" part.

although my Toshiba laptop came with a re-install disc with all the system files, but when i went to use it, it said it was for an a25 laptop.. which is what I have. So I guess my computer doesnt know what it is. Anyways, I figured that since I already paid, I wasnt going to pay again for a worthless OS like windows, so the torrents work well. Im running xp pro, like it pretty much, i just always turn off most of the "pretty" things so it runs faster.

Comment

pick an OS, whether it be 98-2000-XP, pop in the CD and boot up to that. follow directions and format the hard drive and install windows.

if youre getting a "missing OS" error and you got this PC from someone else, fixing it to see what data it has on it is pointless. format the fucker and start her clean. gateway/compaq provides all drivers you could need for it on their website.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

You need to change the boot sequence in the BIOS.
            It really is a labor of love making a neglected CB7 with "normal wear and tear" into something worth being proud of.

Comment

Originally posted by 93CB7
              You need to change the boot sequence in the BIOS.
              -press f1 or f2 when it prompts to change boot order...that is the black screen that has all the numbers when you first turn your computer on...change boot sequence to C: then A: make sure you save this configuration before you exit the boot screen

-if you can you may want to use this command on another machine that has your same OS..or version of windows..
              Format A: /s at the command prompt (dos) which makes a file bootable...

-but in at the DOS prompt you should type just to see if your HD has files on them and if it is bootable
              1) C: (switches to your harddrive)
              2) dir (directory command see if anything is on the HD)

also try typing this when the cd-rom is in the drive

1) D: (switches to Cd-rom)
              2) dir (see if you can read your cd-rom)
              Last edited by 93EXaesthetic; 10-27-2005, 09:58 PM.

Comment

If you just want to see what files are on that hard-drive, you could just hook it up to your current computer as a slave drive. Just be warned that there could be viruses or other things that could spread over to your main drive, so hook it up to your main computer at your own risk.

Otherwise I'd say just do like what was already suggested and reformat, install newer OS.

Mine.
                "Why don't you spend some money and get this door handle fixed?" - Everyone who rides in my passenger seat
                "Because I don't drive on that side." - Me

Accord Drivers against F transmissions on H motors #2

Comment

ahh why would you get a gateway? Man check on ebay you can get laptops for like 300.00 that are good and brand new pc's for like 400 shipped :-/

Comment

Working...
                  X