4wd CB idea?...read inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4wd CB idea?...read inside

So today on my way home from Home Depot I was just thinking about some different things and one thing that entered my mind was a 4wd CB.

If anyone remembers that Bisimoto CRX is using a NA F series, I was just looking at the site and one of the parts that was being sold was a F to D series transmission adapter that lets you run the D series transmission on the F series motor.

So I got to thinking...in the very late 80's, didn't Honda produce a 4wd Civic...the Real Time 4wd Civic Wagon? Now if I'm thinking correctly that motor should be a D series with a transfer case. Now if you were to use the adapter to get that D series transmission and the transfer case hooked up to the F motor. So does that mean all you'd need is the driveshaft and rear axle?

Couldnt you do the same with a more modern CR-V drivetrain? Although that brings the B series into the equation.
    To-Do List for Today
    Be Awesome

Comment

i think if you attempt to do a 2->4wd conversion that youd try to pick a shaft/axle setup from a similarly sized car... thats why that civic drivetrain is often used for civic and integra owners... cant think of many 4wd hondas that are as big as an accord...

so whether you get the tranny on there or not, you wont easily find a drivetrain that will fit teh car. maybe if you make the driveshaft/axles by urself, maybe the dseries tranny would be helpful...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

This idea has been bouncing in my head as well. Only like above, my idea came when a CR-V drove in front of me and I spied the 4wd logo. Hmmmm... I have a very bad feeling that doing something like this is a very VERY large can of worms. For my idea of the CR-V conversion, you'd be left with a choice. Either 2wd (was it rear?) or 4wd. And let me say from experience that when you have a choice to drive 2wd or 4wd, 2wd is best for everyday driving. Driving in four all the time will toast the T-case and possibly the tranny faster than you can spit. Assuming you could get the tranny and T-case to fit, you still have to worry about the TCU and other associated wiring. I wouldn't be too worried about driveshafts, there's so many places out there that will extend/strengthen them that it's just not even funny. I suppose more R&D would need to be done before attempting, not to mention a somewhat wide budget. Good Luck with the idea though!
        Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
        D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
        ┴─┴
        ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

Originally posted by mxcx
          Couldnt you do the same with a more modern CR-V drivetrain? Although that brings the B series into the equation.
          Or the K-series, if using a second-gen CR-V. At least that way you'd have some torque. Ooh, I know, swap in a Pilot/MDX/RL drivetrain.

Originally posted by Masamune
          Driving in four all the time will toast the T-case and possibly the tranny faster than you can spit.
          Perhaps I took this quote out of context, but Honda doesn't use 4wd, they use AWD.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

im not sure if anyone said this but hoindatuning made a 4wd integra type are "rally car" out of k series stuff and cr'v transfercase and trans and blah blah blah i have the mag somewhere if i find it ill put pics up but as for our car gettin the rear wheels goin i the words cost inefficiency to mind because even if it were somehow possible you could probably only get mild results and spent a shit load getting there just my 2 cents sorry

-sean
            Members ride 15.927 @ 86.76 (f22a1)

Hit the clutch Hit the gear Hit the gas and i'm GONE>>>
            Arcadia Green Crew #10

Comment

hmmm, sounds like a good idea and all, but i dont see it being realiable at all. I mean if cars from the factory have problems with it, i can only imagine the problems a family car over a decade old would have.

Comment

The new Oddessey is optionaly equipped with 4wd.
                Henry R
                Koni/Neuspeed
                1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Sorry to be the one to burst your bubble....but there really is not enough of an advantage considering all the work this would take. The reason being, is Honda's "Real Time 4WD" is simply not an AWD system. The 4WD Civic and CR-V doesnot have a conventional transfer case like most other 4WD and AWD vehicles use, instead it has what is called a viscous clutch. Here's how it works; Under normal driving conditions only the front wheels are driven, when front wheel slippage is detected some power is momenteraly sent through the viscous clutch to the rear wheels just until the front wheels regain traction, then it just goes back to driving only the front wheels. This would only be an advantage for light off-roading and for slippery road conditions...it does not enhance handling and traction on dry pavement (like the AWD Acura RL does)

I do give you an "A" for effort tho Mike. A true AWD CB7 would be bad-ass...and I myself would love to figure out a way to do it...unfortunately, the Civic/CR-V system just wouldn't work for this application.
                  Last edited by mrhonda; 09-30-2005, 10:34 PM.
                  00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

cough save up for a fully customized sti swap cough.....

actually ive thought about that before, but i would need like 10k+, but it would be pretty cool

My Members Ride Thread
                    Originally posted by deevergote
                    You have to think outside the box to get IN the box!

Comment

Snag an old Impreza or Lancer. Fabricate some stuff and make it work
                      To-Do List for Today
                      Be Awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdkid
                        It has some neat things like cylinder deactivation and a power liftgate and runflat tires on the Touring ... however they are all FWD still.

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/...elName=Odyssey
                        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdkid
                          uhhh...you sure? I've never heard anything about an AWD Odyssey.
                          00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

ok...so shoot me? I thought there was one...oh wait I was thinking the Toyota Sienna thats why...almost look the same to me..
                            Henry R
                            Koni/Neuspeed
                            1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                            1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                            Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                            made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

without using honda parts i think of it as bastardization if that in fact is a word...
                              Last edited by J-specCb4; 10-01-2005, 12:15 AM.

"Tucking tires and wires."
                              The Chronicles.

Comment

Working...
                              X