Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plumbing question. Garbage disposal installation: single sink, floor drain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plumbing question. Garbage disposal installation: single sink, floor drain.

I'm looking to install a garbage disposal in my extremely old and cramped kitchen. I'm researching how to do it, but I'm having a difficult time finding any DIY, or even a picture, showing something similar to what I have!

I currently have a single sink with PVC pipe running down to a drain pipe in the floor. The pipe has an S trap, set up like a loop. The drain pipe is almost directly below the sink drain.
    Sorta like this:

Now, the disposal will come down about 13" total. The disposal drain is horizontal, about halfway up.

Here's a diagram from the unit I'm contemplating (it's a cheap Chinese thing... I may regret it...)

My sink is set up like that, only I have about 1 foot of PVC pipe sticking up from the floor (it may or may not be easily removable.)
    Now, the diagram shows a flexible hose. A simple solution, but I could see that getting clogged with all kinds of gunk really quick! I'd like to assemble a PVC setup with an S trap, as I have now. However, having the main drain 4-5" offset, and less room to work beneath the disposal unit itself, it's going to be tricky. I've never done any plumbing work myself, so this is all new territory for me.
    My thought is to assemble the drain pipes as they are now, and then use a couple of 45 degree bends to get it all to connect back up to the floor drain.

The goal is to keep it as compact as possible, as I don't want to lose any more cabinet space than necessary!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Pipe fitting, types to get, sizes, etc...

This is the unit I'm looking at. I'm sure it's not the highest quality thing... but I'm hoping it'll last for 2-3 years or so. We'll be out of this house by then, I hope!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-4HP-Kitche...item3cf314c5fb

The remova/install of the disposal itself is easy. Remove the top hose, then remove the disposal drain line, spin the bottom collar of the connection clockwise, and it comes right out.
    Last edited by dj_ender; 02-16-2015, 10:07 PM.
    Originally posted by Mishakol129
    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
      The remova/install of the disposal itself is easy. Remove the top hose, then remove the disposal drain line, spin the bottom collar of the connection clockwise, and it comes right out.
      I'm trying to install one. There is no disposal in there now.

Comment

i think it would be easiest to just use some 45deg PVC elbows, and some straight PVC pipe. PVC cement is easy to use. Pop the one on the floor, then you have it coming up at an angle, and you can use a straight pipe to extend as far out as necessary. another 45deg elbow to get it pointing upward again. Then attach it through a P trap, attached to the side of the disposal's downspout.

You can probably do this with a sack of elbows, a couple feet of PVC, a hacksaw, and some PVC cement. Might need some wide pliers/channel locks for the nuts for the P-trap. Can always return the unused connectors.

is a P-trap necessary for a disposal unit? you cant really drop anything through the disposal's teeth... so what are you trapping? Would be simpler without it.

If you end up getting it installed, i'd take the old drain ring from you. My disposer just burnt out and I need to uninstall it...
        Last edited by cp[mike]; 02-16-2015, 11:52 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I believe the trap is necessary for it to be up to code. I'm looking to sell the house in a few years, so there's no point making more things to fix (or lower the price for) in the future!

Comment

Make sure you buy a quality one from personal experience.

Do it like this but with out the pipe on the right comign from the second sink.

YOLO
            H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

The drain pipe is still directly below the sink drain, though. Directly below where the disposal will be. That one is easy with the offset... but I need to find a way to effectively get under the disposal with that sort of bend... with only a foot or less to work with. I just want to be sure I won't have anything backing up, or smelling bad!

I'm contemplating that Chinese thing... though I do wonder if I'll regret it. At least if I get it and have to replace it, pretty much anything else will be easy to install. It's all essentially the same!

Comment

Originally posted by phatdoughnut View Post
                Make sure you buy a quality one from personal experience.

Do it like this but with out the pipe on the right comign from the second sink.

YOLO
                See how the whole trap and loop around are below the disposal? You can spin the trap and loop to hit anywhere including under the disposal.

Yes you need a trap it prevents sewage gasses from entering your house.

Get a nice disposal for like 100 dollars. Waste king is pretty good for the money.
                ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Originally posted by cb7 calling View Post
                  See how the whole trap and loop around are below the disposal? You can spin the trap and loop to hit anywhere including under the disposal.

Yes you need a trap it prevents sewage gasses from entering your house.

Get a nice disposal for like 100 dollars. Waste king is pretty good for the money.
                  this spin that shit son.
                  H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

Why can't you hook it up to the sink on the left so there isn't a cluster fuck with your s trap on the right hand side. You don't want to use that flexible offset crap, it's thin and tears easy. Go to home depot and check out the tubular pvc section.

As a plumber, I prefer and recommend RB
                    Go to home depot and buy every pvc tubular fitting, use what you need and return the rest.
                    Last edited by muhammedmian; 02-21-2015, 01:04 AM.
                    Originally posted by cb7dazz
                    And you're english is much better than some people on this board and it's their primary language.
                    Originally posted by Jarrett
                    ...for example

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      I believe the trap is necessary for it to be up to code. I'm looking to sell the house in a few years, so there's no point making more things to fix (or lower the price for) in the future!
                      You are correct sir! A P-trap stops sewer gases from coming back up into the house. It's basically like a "water valve" that seals the inside of the house from sewer gases coming back in. Do NOT install without one.

Comment

Originally posted by s2cmpugh View Post
                        You are correct sir! A P-trap stops sewer gases from coming back up into the house. It's basically like a "water valve" that seals the inside of the house from sewer gases coming back in. Do NOT install without one.
                        Yeah, that was my thinking. The image provided in the documentation shows a flexible line (which would collect junk quite well...) flowing straight to the driain... so yeah, stink city! Then again, it's Chinese... and I've heard from friends how much like sewage China seems to smell like lately!

Comment

FWIW, I have flexible tubing for draining on mine, that connects to the 2nd sinks PVC, and I have yet to have a clog.

I make sure to use HOT water when using my disposal and I run baking soda through it once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                            FWIW, I have flexible tubing for draining on mine, that connects to the 2nd sinks PVC, and I have yet to have a clog.

I make sure to use HOT water when using my disposal and I run baking soda through it once in a while.
                            Good tip on the baking soda! We'll sometimes boil some water and pour that down in the drain as well to help "clean" things out.

I would try to avoid that flexible accordion stuff as much as you can.

Comment

Working...
                            X