Compressor / Air Tools help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compressor / Air Tools help

If I have a 5 gallon compressor that will do 135 PSI max with 4.8 CFM at 40 PSI / 3.5 CFM at 90PSI, and a gun that will do 420ft-lb tq. but requires SCFM of 3.7 @ 90 PSI.....

Assuming I want to max the tool out, what is the maximum setting I can/should set the tool PSI on the tank for this setup? I had always used 90, thinking that the tank can only push max 90PSI at 3.5CFM for this tool but would setting it to 130PSI do anything here?

To summarize:

Tank:
    135 PSI max
    4.8CFM @ 40PSI
    3.5CFM @ 90PSI

Impact Gun:
    420ft-lb torque
    needs 3.7 SCFM @ 90PSI

I would tend to think you'll be maxing that little 5 gallon out rather quickly.

If your already over taxing it by running a tool requiring more CFM that your compressor puts out and/or if you do actually hit pressure required to get anywhere near the 425 ft/lbs your anticipating, it'll probably only be for a few seconds.

Is it running an impact gun?

Comment

Originally posted by Flip-Eye View Post
      I would tend to think you'll be maxing that little 5 gallon out rather quickly.

If your already over taxing it by running a tool requiring more CFM that your compressor puts out and/or if you do actually hit pressure required to get anywhere near the 425 ft/lbs your anticipating, it'll probably only be for a few seconds.

Is it running an impact gun?
      Yes.

Comment

mine is set to 120.............. hasnt blown up yet, but I don't recommend it. I also can't see how a 5 gallon will have enough volume, but if you let it fill up all the way, you might be able to get a quick blast out of it to break a bolt loose. it probably won't do much if you try to use it while its running/refilling.

also make sure your air lines are good... some of the ones out there are TINY diameter... i ran 1/2" air hose and got the special quick-disconnect fittings from Harbor Freight that have extra wide openings thru the center, so that none of the fittings are creating a bottleneck.
        Last edited by cp[mike]; 12-03-2014, 05:34 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I hear ya. & I'm noticing to get past 3.7SCM @ 90PSI you need a pretty big upgrade for the tank! Lot's of tanks 5, 10, 15, 20 gallon but they all push the same SCM. Not until you get into the $400+ tanks that you see SCM that can be used for good impact guns.

Even 500ft-lb tq. require 3.9SCM @90PSI, and then you're looking at some expensive tanks.

Gone to try 120

Comment

Most good tanks will run you about 300 or more. If its an 8 gallon your better off breaking the bolt loose then go from there

Comment

Tanks that small are typically used for inflating roofing nail guns, other small tools requiring not much air.

If you got enough pressure out of that tank, you'd only have a window of a few seconds at peak pressure to break the bolt loose.

If your not breaking it loose in that small window, it ain't coming loose!

Comment

Check craigslist for a used taller/larger capacity compressor. I got mine free (vertical craftsman 30 gallon oil less) from my old work because they upgraded to a larger quieter machine. Handles my air usage fine. Deals online & black friday & xmas time. Home depot, lowes, sears, tractor supply... all good units for personal use.
                Kyle C

2002 Accord Sedan EX - standard- daily status

1991 Accord Wagon LX - auto - 304K & slipping transmission

Comment

Went with a 4ft. steel pipe instead, and......... dam.

The bolt I'm trying to remove is an axle nut/bolt

Comment

i would recommend using CRAFTSMAN breaker bars on that nut. you may even break a couple more on it before it comes loose, being able to stop at the local sears and get a new one helps. Or go for a 3/4" drive :P BTW, the air gun wasn't going to take that nut off, either. My 30 gal doesnt budge it, sometimes you can't beat sheer leverage. You did make sure to un-stake it first, right?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                    Current cars:
                    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

A little bit of heat (BurnzOmatic torch) and mechanical leverage, with a quality strong bar (Craftsman is what I use), is really all it takes to get those old axle nuts to break loose.
                      Last edited by GhostAccord; 12-04-2014, 08:23 PM.
                      MR Thread
                      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                        i would recommend using CRAFTSMAN breaker bars on that nut. you may even break a couple more on it before it comes loose, being able to stop at the local sears and get a new one helps. Or go for a 3/4" drive :P BTW, the air gun wasn't going to take that nut off, either. My 30 gal doesnt budge it, sometimes you can't beat sheer leverage. You did make sure to un-stake it first, right?
                        Please......... :P
                        Ya, thinking of going and buying this - http://princessauto.com/en/detail/pr...ch/A-p8340507e

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
                        A little bit of heat (BurnzOmatic torch) and mechanical leverage, with a quality strong bar (Craftsman is what I use), is really all it takes to get those old axle nuts to break loose.
                        Ya, going to heat it next time before I put another break bar on it or before I take a gun to it. I was using some anti-seize junk.....

Just not sure what to buy since everything else failed. New electric gun (360ft-lbs tq.) or a bigger / better breaker bar?

Your suggestions?

Comment

Kind of off topic but back when I had a cb I broke about 14 or 15 craftsman ratchets. I think I was breaking them 3 at a time and returning them to sears. after about 15 they told me they would no longer exchange them under warranty. I told the guy to watch this, and went out to loosen that nut and guess what, snapped em all. He basically told me to screw so I went over to the service area, garage door opened, puled in grabbed an impact and threw my socket one....problem solved and drove away

Comment

I say a bigger breaker bar. I have a 1" drive setup for stubborn crank pulley bolts and axle nuts. The feel of 3/4" and/or 1" drive is so awesome over 1/2". I would personally opt for a 3/4" slide bar and not a flex handle, the slide bar is only 2 pieces really. These tend to be more direct and stronger with less moving parts. Ghost is right on point as always, heat is very important.

Comment

Working...
                            X