Rant: Punctuation is your friend!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rant: Punctuation is your friend!

In looking at various Honda boards, I've noticed that sooo many people type using absolutely no punction marks whatsoever. Fortunately, there is less of that on this board than any other that I have noticed. That's why I'm ranting here, where people will probably agree with me, rather than argue with me!

Anyway... to the people who have no idea where the period and comma are on their keyboard: <---Look! That's a colon!!!! Wow!

"Just because you pause when you are typing, it doesn't mean that those who are reading know where you intend to stop!"

Thats it I just wanted to say that I really hate when people type without any punctuation it's hard to tell what the hell theyre trying to say of course spelling errors always seem to be included in nonpunctuated sentences but thats another story altogether Ill rant about that some other time perhaps.

Sorry for the mindless rant.

Re: Rant: Punctuation is your friend!

Originally posted by Deevergote
    colon
    You said colon! wow I'm bored. I agree though, although Im usually too lazy to do everything correctly.
    HSHO #3

Comment

the thing is, there are soo many things to do...that i dont have time to put them puntu marks...

if i know something really well ill just rant on but ill still get my word accross...with all the forums im under, its a hassle...

yet i do pause...u see my "..." hahah.

at least our board doesnt suck...i just went on automotiveforums and no one has responded in 4 days..maybe even a week....no one knows ne thing there...so i spread my knowledge and post in everyone of the accords questions...cause shoot i know most of them....
      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

i agree.

spelling and punctuation is sort of like your drivetrain. you can have all of the knowledge in the world when it comes to cb7s, but if you can't transfer it to the board effectively - you're not getting the info across.

Comment

i guess i suck ! <---look i did a puntuation mark. haha
          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Even improper punctuation marks, like "..." after numerous setence fragments (something I'm guilty of myself) are acceptable. As long as you show a pause, it can be understood...

Even a space can be used to convey a pause

I can deal with that

I just know when I read certain things that the author stopped at a certain point, hit the space bar, and continued his thought as if he (or she) were speaking to someone.

Everyone always said I should've been an English major...

Comment

usually when i do a long post or something to really help the person, i pause and actually make it step by step or really make it look like a essay...puntuation and everything so they wont get confused....

some get "turned off" by words and puntuations that arent there...

Retro!

Hater

Comment

wow we need an english teacha up in hurr dont ya'll agree with dat right thurr

Comment

yeah when people just go on and on and babble switching sentences is hard to follow when people write like this really pisses me off but they just do it anyway then end with PLEASE HELP!!

then accordztech replies... and gives his thoughts... i dont know if he ever... uses a single period? lol... we will see...

then steve comes in with the It would be appreciated if you would use proper punctuation in your posts. It makes reading them much easier for other members and will usually help you receive a better reply. Thanks!

then fizzbob says I cant understnad you when you dont use punctuation.

heh then i come in and not really know what im talking about and not even answer the question.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                  - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                  - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                  Current cars:
                  - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                  - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cpmike
                    heh then i come in and not really know what im talking about and not even answer the question.
                    see... i just did it...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                    Current cars:
                    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

i totally agree man, it annoys the shit out of me when someone makes this huge post in all caps with no periods, or commas, or any signs of punctuation. It pretty much just destroys the whole post for me. I'm by no means a grammaratician(if thats a word), but shit, when that one girl goes on and on about nothing, it kills me.
                      2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
                      2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

I didn't intend for this post to be directed at any individual CB7 members... but I must agree...

Comment

hey i didnt name names, i just said that girl...ooops. Maybe this is a sign that we need more female members
                          2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
                          2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

i totally agree, people need to use more punctuation on the internet. it's getting ridiculous. i've been beginning to wonder if this is due to laziness, a sign of the weakening of the basic american education, or a combination of both.

i also find it difficult to read posts that have glaring spelling errors. i can understand if a person mispells something like extraordinary, yamika, or conflagration. However, the new way to type "the "as: "teh, th3, t3h" is beyond me. perhaps having some sort of spell check on forums would help with this dilemma.

end of rant.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

I totally agree... I didn't want to include my spelling beef in my original rant, because that would be overkill...

And I almost criticized you for misspelling yarmulke (yamika)... but apparently it can be spelled either way

Comment

Working...
                              X