California Legacy Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

California Legacy Plates

I have recently learned about the new California legacy plates that was introduced about a year ago. Does anyone know much about them? I know an additional $40 will be added to your renewal fees, but if you decide to make them custom plates will there be additional fees?
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/index.htm

The initial $50 you pay applies to both custom and sequential plates. After that you'll only pay the $40 renewal fee on top of your regular registration, regardless of what's on your license plate forever. Not bad considering I already dish out a yearly extra $38 for mine. Clever way for the State to make some money without causing an outrage.

By the way, thanks for posting this up. I will be placing an order for mine.
    ]

Comment

i would love to get some of my old cali plates

anyone knows who does replicas
      http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Thanks for posting. Considering it but not fully sold on paying an additional $40 every year for registration

Comment

Originally posted by Slick_Nine View Post
          The initial $50 you pay applies to both custom and sequential plates. After that you'll only pay the $40 renewal fee on top of your regular registration, regardless of what's on your license plate forever. Not bad considering I already dish out a yearly extra $38 for mine. Clever way for the State to make some money without causing an outrage.

By the way, thanks for posting this up. I will be placing an order for mine.
          I'm sending out my form tomorrow. But getting the sequential plates. I have a feeling there will be a little fee on top if you get them custom. They already charge a little extra when you get the other Cali plates. Btw I'm the one that bought the wheels off of you.

Comment

i wish i knew this a month ago when i ordered my custom plates

Comment

Any other states doing this BS thing where they are requiring you to replace your plates every 4-5 years because the coating on them wear out? WA state just started this.
              H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

Originally posted by phatdoughnut View Post
                Any other states doing this BS thing where they are requiring you to replace your plates every 4-5 years because the coating on them wear out? WA state just started this.
                My Mom lost her so-called "green plate" from 1979 about 3 years ago. She was really upset since it had been on her cars for so long. Plus in MA, a green plate meant you only needed a single plate, not two as currently required.

Comment

Originally posted by phatdoughnut View Post
                  Gotta make sure the computerized camera-based license plate readers can read them! oh, and they get to sell you new plates more often, too.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                  - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                  - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                  Current cars:
                  - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                  - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

yea, theyre probably putting tracking devices in them too.
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Now I have a question for the Cali residents.

The plate follows the car, not the owner, correct? That's why there's such an allure to own a classic car with blue/black plates because they've never been taken off the road or registered outside CA, right?

When the CB was new, blue plates were already phased out, right? Does this mean that you could conceivably get blue/black plates for a CB or just that you can get the correct plate for the vintage of your car (IE soemone with a 68 Charger could get black plates, but someone with an 86 IROC could get blue plates).

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
                        Now I have a question for the Cali residents.

The plate follows the car, not the owner, correct? That's why there's such an allure to own a classic car with blue/black plates because they've never been taken off the road or registered outside CA, right?

When the CB was new, blue plates were already phased out, right? Does this mean that you could conceivably get blue/black plates for a CB or just that you can get the correct plate for the vintage of your car (IE soemone with a 68 Charger could get black plates, but someone with an 86 IROC could get blue plates).
                        I believe any car after 1968 the plate follows the car unless it's a personalized plate. If it's a personalized plate, you get the option to just pay for new sequential plates on the car you're surrendering, and a transfer fee if you want to assign the personalized plates to a new car. Not sure if you have to pay an annual fee if you just want to retain the personalized plates.

For plates 1968 and under, they have to be year specific to the car. The vintage cars can be taken off the road with the plates, and you can just pay a plate retention fee until you decide to put the car back on the road, or assign the plates to a different car of the same year. If you sell the car, you can fill out a form stating that you surrender the plates as well, and the new owner would have to fill out a form claiming ownership of said plates.

I've seen CA black plates being sold online because they may be assigned to any car that's made in the year of the plate being sold. However, you need to fill out a few forms and prove that your car is the same year of the plates you're acquiring. And by any car I mean any California car made in the specific year of the plate. I have no idea if it works with out of state cars or California cars registered in another state.

With these new plates, you can put them on any year/model car because they are made to comply with DMV regulations and CA vehicle codes. So yes, you would be able to put black/yellow plates on a CB.

The link below is were I got the information from.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk/ch21/ch21_36.htm
                        ]

Comment

In oregon you can keep your plate or leave it with the car. If you really want to F' the person buying your car you keep your plates. It actually a good idea because you can not ever trust the person buying your car and if they will register it before they get a ticket.
                          H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

Working...
                          X