Recommendations for a new car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for a new car?

I'm a high school senior looking to buy another car to take me to college.

Priorities:

Reliability -
    The university I will be attending is 350 miles away. I want this car to at least last ~6 years, and have resell value.

Functionality -
    One car I was really considering was a NB Miata. But it is a no go. I'm 6'1, 210 lbs, so, not only would something like that be uncomfortable, but being a very serious oboe and saxophone player, it wouldn't fit my needs to haul stuff around.

Value -
    I've got a budget of only around $5000-$6000, and that is pushing it. I doubt I could something besides a POS for less than $3000, but I just don't have much to spend.

I was considering an EP3 for the longest time, but anything will do I guess. RWD sporty and potential to be fast plus handle well, all with low insurance would be awesome, but again.. Priorities..

What do you guys think I should get?
    Originally posted by Quashish
    hahaha

noobs be like where to be buying hella flush yo?

For $5000-$6000 you're not looking at much, given the market for used vehicles has risen drastically. What's wrong with your Accord? It would be better to hold on to that money in case of a breakdown. Anything RWD is going to be expensive unless you get something barely older than your CB7, like a 88-94 Nissan 240SX.

I would stick to a Honda/Acura though, maybe a older TL or Legend. Won't be a stick though but they can be pretty quick. Or you can find the EM/ES Chassis Civics that came out with the EP3. They are kind of stylish.

Good luck though.
    Last edited by Joey GT-R; 01-20-2014, 06:41 PM.
    '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
    If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

My auto trans is going out. It needs new wheel bearings. Its got 303k really hard miles. The list goes on.. I can't go to college in it, absolutely no way. Thanks..
      hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by honda2014 View Post
        My auto trans is going out. It needs new wheel bearings. Its got 303k really hard miles. The list goes on.. I can't go to college in it, absolutely no way. Thanks..
        Auto LSD Trans - $400

Wheel Bearings - $125

H23A Swap - $1500

I'm not sure what else is on the list but it seems like that would allow you to keep some change in your pocket.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what else you may find in the $5000-$6000 range other than the cars I listed. Perhaps a DSM, I forgot to mention that; if you're into those.

Comment

Even if I were to fix it, it still wouldn't be reliable. I'm not going to fix it to drive it every day. If I do, it will be a swap along with numerous other things.. And yeah, a DSM, but they aren't the most reliable cars either, and being a DSM, if I found one in the price range there is no doubt it will be beat up. I don't mind non-enthusiasts type car suggestion. I ultimately realize that is what I am going to have to get, if I want it to be reliable.
          hahaha

Comment

Look for a manual CM Chassis Accord. They come with K24s and the sky's the limit from there with all the aftermarket support. You could swap the K20A head and have a real speed demon on your hands.

There's always the RSX too as well, but you're gonna have a hard time find one unmolested and clean.

Comment

I think my best bet right now is an Ep3/RSX base. Thanks so far Joey
              hahaha

Comment

Just buy a cobalt and call it a day. You're in college. You need something practical and fuel efficient. Not something fancy or sporty. Just a car to get your from point a to point b. Even a regular 7th gen accord SEDAN would be nice.

Comment

$5000 or so is risky. Honestly, for that price, you're likely just going to get a newer car that is just about to need repair... or an older car that was kept in good condition (but still older... meaning repairs could also be imminent.)

If you can afford $6000 (cash), I'd suggest setting your sights no higher than $4000, keeping $2000 in reserve for repairs and maintenance.

If you want reliability, your best bet is to stick with a boring car. While many sporty, performance-oriented cars CAN be reliable, there are often compromises made. Also, the previous owner(s) of a sporty car has likely enjoyed the sportiness of it, meaning it's been used harder than a boring car.
                  A $4000 Corolla might last for 6 years, and sell for $2500 when you're done with it. It will be boring as hell, however.

If reliable, affordable, resellable RWD is your goal, I think BMW might be your best bet. You're going to get an older, higher-mileage car for your money than you would with a cheaper FWD car (Civic, Corolla, etc...) but the BMW will offer the best mix of performance, comfort, and reliability for your price range, I think. Just expect to pay more than you're used to for repairs when it breaks. Most of my friends that are into BMWs claim that repairs aren't really that much more expensive if you do the work yourself. Parts themselves aren't obscene... it's the labor that kills. Just stay away from an M3. You CAN find an M3 in your price range (E36), but you're going to be paying more for repairs... and it's very likely that it's been driven harder than a run-of-the-mill 3 series.

Sticking with your Accord, as Joey said, isn't a bad idea either. Wisely put $4000 into your CB7, and the result will probably be better than any $6000 used car you buy. You know your CB7. You know what it needs. A new car will be a bunch of unknown problems... and you will have already spent the majority of your money on the purchase itself.

Comment

You're in college, buy the best Corolla/Civic you can find with the lowest mileage and drive it into the ground.

Graduate, then buy a fun project car.

Comment

This thread, along with my friend buying a new car, really makes me want a new car.

But comments like this keep me grounded.
                      Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
                      You're in college, buy the best Corolla/Civic you can find with the lowest mileage and drive it into the ground.

Graduate, then buy a fun project car.
                      I'd rather put up with a $200 repair every few months (That's high btw) then a $300 car payment every month.
                      Just keep holding out, and I can buy myself a brand new car.
                      MRT
                      37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                      30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                      27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                      Originally posted by Tippey764
                      I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                      sneaky motherfucker

Comment

I know your stuck on an ep3 but givin your money situation I say stay away. Reason is I own one and I bought mine for $5700 with 98k on it BUT it has a rebuilt title. For the money you don't really have enough too purchase a low mileage ep3. I looked for months before finding mine. Most were 180k or more and with clean titles all still wanted 5500 and up.

Now IF you can get one that's great but what kind of money are you making in college? Because the ep3 is a little more expensive to maintain than a regular civic or accord. EVERYTHING is different from a standard model and suspension is horrible. The tie rods from the steering rack are bolted directly to the struts up front and the two piece rear control arm design in rear is awful. Looks great but it's a lot of money to maintain.

I'm going to agree with others and say get a corolla or civic NON ep3 and drive the shit out of it. Can't go wrong with either
                        I wake up in the morning and piss excellence!

Comment

priorities man!
                          I remember when I first went to college. My fam bought me a used 6th gen accord for about $4k w/ decent miles. I really wanted an RSX but my family def knew better than me. I barely worked because of all the school work. just had enough money to eat, pay insurance, gas and very little for the accord. And the car ended up being very reliable with little money spent on repairs. If i had bought a used sports car, I would had no money for anything because of insurance and gas. I would definitely choose a reliable beater to make it less stressful. School and work is already stressful enough

Members' Ride Thread :http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...82#post2939682
                          My CB7 Tribute Vid..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWFstSzLH8
                          Track ready EK..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoYKsoL0i7M

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.. Would like to see more.
                            hahaha

Comment

A really good car would be a new ford focus as well. Don't forget you can look at some set toyotas as well (avalons, camrys, scion xd,tc, xa, xb) I mean you have plenty if options but you need something simply and cheap. Hell even another cb7 In great condition would be good them selling your old cb for chump change. The possibilities are endless just try to stay away from performance oriented vehicles for now. Trust me on my campus everyone drives something simple. We have 2 BMW 3 series tho. One E46 vert (girl from Cali) and a E90 hardtop (hs graduation present) but besides those cars everyone drive rather "boring" vehicles.

Lost of SUVs too. Look at the grand Cherokee ZJ, wonderf truck. I love it.y family bought our ZJ new in 96 when I was 2. It's got selec trac 4wd and the I6. Talk about a beast of an SUV.

You're going to need something with space tho. So look at hatchbacks like the Fit and smaller SUVs and if you plan on carpooling a lot look at more fuel efficient cars. No sports cars tho.

Comment

Working...
                              X