Brain-Eating Amoeba Now Found in Louisiana Drinking Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brain-Eating Amoeba Now Found in Louisiana Drinking Water

The drinking water of a Louisiana parish has been found to contain a brain-eating amoeba that can be fatal if it goes up your nose.

RELATED

12-Year-Old in Florida Infected by Deadly "Brain-Eating" Amoeba
    Authorities in Florida confirmed on Tuesday that a 12-year-old boy has been infected with Naegleria fowleri, a rare “brain-eating” amoeba. The boy,… Read…
    Last month, a four-year-old boy in Louisiana died after playing on a slip-n-slide in St. Bernard Parish. The amoeba, Naegleria fowleri, was also connected to the death of a Florida boy this summer.

Officials are telling residents that the water is safe to drink, but you must make sure not to let it up your nose. They have told residents that it will be weeks before the danger has passed, as low levels of chlorine in the system have let the bacteria thrive. Chlorine kills the amoeba, Assistant Louisiana Health Secretary J.T. Lane told residents.

The organism travels up your nose and multiplies, eating your brain and slowly killing you. Early symptoms include headache, fever, nausea, vomiting and a stiff neck, according to the CDC. Then the illness gets serious — later symptoms include confusion, seizures, hallucination, and eventual death within one to twelve days.

The fatality rate is almost 99 percent, however, Kali Hardig, a 12-year-old Arkansas girl, survived infection after she contracted the amoeba at a local water park. She was given an experimental drug that saved her life, only after her mother noticed early on that her daughter didn't have just the common cold.

[Shutterstock]

L

http://gawker.com/brain-eating-amoeb...wat-1315324985
    FRIENDS
    DONT LET
    FRIENDS
    ROLL ON
    ROTA'S

i think that this should be secretly be placed in all the prison systems, that should help free up some taxpayers dollars
    FRIENDS
    DONT LET
    FRIENDS
    ROLL ON
    ROTA'S

Comment

damn sounds like all that stuff living wayyyyyyyyy down in all these underground rivers and aquifers is making its way up. Ive only heard of that microbe getting to human is when swimming in those deep glacial lakes in the mountains, you swim down too far and chance to sniff some water droplets when surfacing and these things migrate to your brain fast and then you die a horrible death =\

Comment

Originally posted by mugencivic4dr View Post
        i think that this should be secretly be placed in all the prison systems, that should help free up some taxpayers dollars
        thats stupid, why not just hang chomos and other shit bags, you know how many people are locked up for herb?? wanker.

Comment

i just came back from new orleans hahahahaha
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
            thats stupid, why not just hang chomos and other shit bags, you know how many people are locked up for herb?? wanker.
            easier mary jane lover, it was a general statement. didnt know people would be butt hurt about it. we can sacrifice some potheads to get rid of the true bad guys
            FRIENDS
            DONT LET
            FRIENDS
            ROLL ON
            ROTA'S

Comment

we can sacrifice some potheads to get rid of the true bad guys
              It's scary to see that folks actually think this way.

Comment

Originally posted by reklipz View Post
                What's scarier is .. there's just enough of them to make a difference!
                And some of them actually make and pass laws, control lots of money, hire and fire,
                and have the ability to "go fourth and multiply" .. that's what's really scary!

If History taught us anything .. it taught us that Hitler was a bad, baaad man!
                But some folks still to this day, believe it's a good means of population control.
                More money saved by the city .. the state .. the entire gov!
                More clean air for the "normal" people to breathe .. very scary!

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda View Post
                  Originally posted by reklipz View Post
                  we can sacrifice some potheads to get rid of the true bad guys
                  What's scarier is .. there's just enough of them to make a difference!
                  And some of them actually make and pass laws, control lots of money, hire and fire,
                  and have the ability to "go fourth and multiply" .. that's what's really scary!
                  whats sad is that i mentioned the prison system and the first thing that came to ya's mind were the people that were locked up for selling "herbs" and overlooked the murders and what not.

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda View Post
                  If History taught us anything .. it taught us that Hitler was a bad, baaad man!
                  But some folks still to this day, believe it's a good means of population control.
                  More money saved by the city .. the state .. the entire gov!
                  More clean air for the "normal" people to breathe .. very scary!

comparing Hitlers population control with my statement is irrelevant. hitler was trying to eliminate everyday citizens that lived thier everyday lives because he thought they were inferior to society/human race.

my statement was towards eliminating people that lost their rights due to their actions of killing people, stealing or whatever they did to have themsleves put away. my statement was really towards the prisoners who are just rotting in prison sucking up all the tax payers dollars.

your point of view of my statement is scary and totally nothing to do with my GENERAL statement
                  FRIENDS
                  DONT LET
                  FRIENDS
                  ROLL ON
                  ROTA'S

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                    thats Stupid, Why Not Just Hang Chomos And Other Shit Bags, You Know How Many People Are Locked Up For Herb?? Wanker.
                    X2

BB6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=200445<Summer Lover
                    BD6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194262<Dailey/Future AutoX
                    Mazda 6s->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201313<Wifes
                    CB7->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189108<Sold

Comment

this thread went from a brain eating amoeba notification thread to a political thread in no time flat

let's get back on topic here, leave the jail topics for another thread

any symptoms yet wed3k?
                      http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

your point of view of my statement is scary and totally nothing to do with my GENERAL statement
                        When you "generalize" you leave yourself open for a variety of thoughts.
                        Thoughts from one extreme to the next .. atleast we agree on one thing.

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

wow... from the looks of this thread... it looks like "idiocracy" is starting now. wow.

How was this question never raised? Where'd these things come from??? Yeah, I understand that they thrive in low-level chlorine water. But, how did it get in there in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by oni_cb7 View Post
                            wow... from the looks of this thread... it looks like "idiocracy" is starting now. wow.

How was this question never raised? Where'd these things come from??? Yeah, I understand that they thrive in low-level chlorine water. But, how did it get in there in the first place?
                            I think the reason the question was "never raised" is because we already have a solid understanding of how this happens. I personally don't, but I expect someone somewhere in the chain of command does. I'm not quite sure how they foobed on the chlorine level; they're a utilities company, isn't checking the chlorine level on like an hourly basis standard-operating-procedure?

--

Ah, so after some research... apparently what they believe happened was that the water in the supply lines, not at the distribution/cleaning centers etc, sat around for a long enough time due to decreased usage (due to less population in the area) that the chlorine dissipated allowing the organism to thrive unimpeded. Now they are flushing the supply lines with chlorine to kill off whatever might be there.
                            Last edited by reklipz; 09-29-2013, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X