What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do?

Ok so as most everyone knows, I have a 2002 Accord SE.

Has 127,993 on the ODO right now. No real problems, besides needing new rotors and pads up front, maybe a ball joint, and some fresh fluids, she runs like a champ!

My sister in law lives at home and makes bank, and want's a new car. She currently has a 2006 Civic with about 50k on the odo. No real problems. Runs fine, had motor mounts replaced....she has had a few fender benders and had the car fixed by a good body shop everytime.

Beside some dings and scratches, which the Accord has as well, she runs fine.

My in laws have offered to take the 02 from me, and give me the 06 on an even trade.....then trade in the 02 towards whatever car my sister in law wants.

Now the Accord and I have a lot of history. It was my wifes first car. I LOVE the 6th gen, the rear end resembling the NSX sorta.

For me it was a step down of sorts coming from a 93 SE because I had dics all around, the bose system, leather etc and the 2002 special edition is just a fancy EX.

So for the obvious reasons I want to seriously consider it. First being that it's a little more then half the miles of my accord. 2nd, for what she has put it through, its a solid little car. It doesn't have a cheap feeling, like other civics. Its pretty solid. It'll probably get better MPG then my 02, since it's a little newer and smaller footprint.

There are some downsides....she smokes in it nonstop, so compared to my accord which was never smoked in, its stinky to say the least....but after a while that will fade I think...

Its def got its dings and battle wounds, but im not entering in shows, and Im hard on the Accord so another ding or two won't be noticed....

Im going to go research the platform and see what I come up with. Im thinking for obvious reasons, I should probably scoop it up.

Also we did the t belt and water pump on the Accord at 80k, as well as plugs. Since the civic only has 50k, it hasn't been done yet.....whereas on the accord im good until at least 160k....

but at the same time, as the accord ages, ill be dumping more money into it to keep it on the road anyway.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Any sign of trans issues with your current car?
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Nah. Every now and then it will seem like it takes a little longer to shift, but it seems to only be when it's cold, and other then that, it shifts like butter.

Comment

Unless the Civic is a manual, kick rocks.... Modding it would be pointless. But that's just my honest opinion.

EDIT - If she wants to buy anything German(Jetta,Beetle, 3-Series, C-Class) PM Me.....
        Last edited by Joey GT-R; 09-15-2013, 08:20 PM.
        '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Its automatic, but i wasn't going to mod it anyway.

I think she does want a vw.

Comment

Yessssss. If that's what she ends up going with, lemme know. I'll see what I can do to beat out local pricing.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey GT-R View Post
              Yessssss. If that's what she ends up going with, lemme know. I'll see what I can do to beat out local pricing.
              Care to elaborate?
              MRT
              37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
              30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
              27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
              Originally posted by Tippey764
              I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
              sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Good luck getting rid of the smoke smell in the Civic. Not only does it smell, but it permeates the headliner and any cloth/foam, and generally tends to create a nasty layer of sticky gunk all over any surfaces. I would avoid it for that reason alone.
                Originally posted by sweet91accord
                if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Lol Geoff I sell New European Makes. Volkswagen, Volvo, Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, Sprinter, and BMW.

Comment

There's all sorts of ways to eliminate the smoke odor, so don't write it off just because of that. It's easy to clean any smoke residue and smell with a good detail. Shampoo the seats, carpet and headliner. Ionize the interior, use a shampoo with enzyme cleaners in it, and use one of the odor eliminating sprays that you spray in through the intake air vent and have it recirculate through the HVAC system killing mold, mildew and odor. In an afternoon you'll have it looking and smelling brand new inside.

The Civic coupes are alright. If you want to stay with a 2 door, then I'd say by all means go for it. Obviously I had one, and I liked it, but I didn't love it. The 1.8 was pretty slow. However, I think the strong point of these cars is the interior. From fantastic seats, to a great centre console and funky e-brake handle, to the dash itself, it's a place I love to be. Very fun cars to drive, and for that reason alone I think you'll be happy with it.

If you feel it's worth the change, I would seriously consider the option. Hell, even my SI is super cheap on fuel. I filled up for $48 yesterday at $1.32/L for premium. Around town I'll see 500km to a tank and over 650km on the highway.

Comment

Why do girls love VWs so much?

The Civic is probably the better commuter. Better gas mileage, lower miles, newer car.
                      I HATED my 02 SE, but it was also a sedan. I do love the 6th gen coupes, and your car does look pretty sweet.

As said, the smoke smell can be fixed. Air it out for a bit, scrub down all the plastic parts, shampoo all the upholstery and carpet. You'll never know anyone had ever smoked in it.

That, or tell them "no, I'm going to sell the Accord and buy Deev's old hatchback."

Comment

Why do girls love VW's so much? Because VaginaWagen.

Comment

With 90% of the 2014 lineup turbocharged out the gate, and making more torque than they do horsepower, it will be VroomWagen. With the exception of a base model Jetta, they will beat out a stock swapped H CB7.

Comment

If you have no special feelings, sentimental value for the accord, then go ahead. Half the miles = half the problems down the road maybe. If you have a soft spot in your heart for the accord, then don't do it. That civic will feel like someone else's ride and you may have no respect for it. Plus it sounds like the accord is in good mechanical shape and there's lots of life left in it.

My opinion is, don't go for the civic just because it has half the miles. Keep what's special and what you love as it will make you happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                              If you have no special feelings, sentimental value for the accord, then go ahead. Half the miles = half the problems down the road maybe. If you have a soft spot in your heart for the accord, then don't do it. That civic will feel like someone else's ride and you may have no respect for it. Plus it sounds like the accord is in good mechanical shape and there's lots of life left in it.

My opinion is, don't go for the civic just because it has half the miles. Keep what's special and what you love as it will make you happy.
                              I do have sentimental feelings for the accord, but nothing like my 93.

That feeling you're describing, I have felt for the Accord lol. I took it over from my wife, and it wasn't really MY car. I have made it mine, and after putting almost 60k miles on her, we have had plenty of moments!

The thing is, is that I was planning on trading in the 02 anyway for a newer car but can't afford it now. I was planning on going newer then 06 obv, probably like 09/10/11 years.

I think an even trade for an 06 with half the miles and being the better commuter, is a smart choice.

I just don't want to regret it, but I really don't see how I will. The Accord isn't really modified. It's sporty but that's it. Only thing Ive invested in, is the new radio(which can obv go in the civic) and brand new tires/rotors/pads.

Tires are already on the car, but the rotors/pads are in my living room. So if I make the switch, im going to send back the rotors/pads because im not installing new equipment only to trade the car in ya know?

As far as the civic goes, it has been maintained by her father who is meticulous. Im not sure about the tire life, but everything else has been kept up! Im sure I can detail it enough to get most of the stink out. I use to smoke, so it's not like its a real bother. Just noticeable.

The civic is def sporty as well, reviews have it at the time as one of Honda's sportiest ones ever made. The angle of that front windshield is the sharpest they ever had(even moreso then the NSX).

I'm really picky with my civics, and I tend to not like them as much, but this gen was a good one for sure.

Idk. crazy!
                              Last edited by Ralphie; 09-16-2013, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X