Got pulled over for "defective muffler" and "defective tail lights"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got pulled over for "defective muffler" and "defective tail lights"

I got pulled over a few months ago for a defective muffler and defective tail lights. I have an aftermarket exhaust, and he said it was too loud. My tail lights were smoked and he said they were too dark. i got a $150 ticket. He told me that if i get the stuff fixed that i can take it to court and the charges/points will be dropped. So i sanded my tail lights, and they look stock again. I didn't change my muffler, but my friend had the same ticket for an exhaust and he just said he fixed it and they dropped the charge. My question is, how do i prove to the court that i fixed my tail lights and exhaust? Has anybody gone to court for something like this? I think i'm gonna go to a muffler shop and get a quote on how much it would be to weld on a stock muffler. My dad owns a body shop so i was thinking about having him write me an invoice for fixing my tail lights, but i'm not too sure about the exhaust.

Next time throw bacon and donuts at the cop and call him names. He'll forget about your muffler and tail lights.
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

Comment

hahaha thats funny. How should i prove the court that i got the stuff fixed though?

Comment

Tail lights are usually a picture. Maybe take a picture of the muffler shop receipt?
        Usually you can mail them in and they drop the charges.
        MRT
        37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
        30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
        27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
        Originally posted by Tippey764
        I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
        Originally posted by deevergote
        sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Damn charging for noise pollution all this extortion makes me wonder if we really are free to do as we please. I mean come on we paid for our own cars pay to legally drive and now this.

Comment

I know! i was hoping just to get a warning, but a got a damn ticket. It was kind of bull shit because i was coasting down a hill when he pulled me over, so my car was idling. i didn't want to argue with him thought.

Comment

Its best not to he basically profiled you. Honestly I don't try to be disrespectful in any way but if you pull me over on some be like giving me a ticket of how my car looks and sounds I would just report him for pulling me over and giving me a ticket unreasonably. Its not like I broke the law there was no law that says I can't have my car visually the way I want it as long as it is ran by dot standards and its an old car its not supposed to be quiet.

Comment

yeaah for sure thats a really good point. I think i'm gonna go to the junkyard and get an oem muffler for like $10 then just bring the receipt to court with me.

Comment

U can get any cop to verify the changes for u.

Or when u go to court ask if he used a decibal meter, because they have to prove beyond reasonable doubt your car was too loud and that's not easy without the meter.

Comment

How on Earth can you possibly not understand why it's wrong to spray paint your tail lights? You think it's your right to have your car look the way you want it to? Sure, by all means. As long as it's not operated on a public road. Assuming that's the case then there are a few rules you have to follow. You cannot intentionally impede someone else's ability to see your tail lights by making them darker. It could jeopardize their safety. Why is this even something to consider? It's mind-numbing to think people out there are this stupid or careless.

And does the exhaust fall under a certain noise level requirement in your state? If not, it's illegal. Plain and simple. If it's a judgement call by the police officer then pay your ticket and move on. I understand this response will upset you. That's fine. I want you to understand that it's you who is wrong and not the police officer.
                    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

i did not paint the tail lights, they were like that when i got the car, i never had an issue until recently, and i completely respect the fact that he pulled me over for my tail lights. It's just the fact that i got a ticket for a defective muffler that i dont really agree with. I'm not sure about if the exhaust fell under a certain noise level, he did not test it with a decibel meter. He basically said "you can't have that muffler on your car, i'm gonna have to also write you a ticket for a defective muffler." This is why i am going to get a receipt for a new muffler and bring it in to the court, and say i did the labor myself.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle View Post
                        Damn charging for noise pollution all this extortion makes me wonder if we really are free to do as we please. I mean come on we paid for our own cars pay to legally drive and now this.
                        yeah, cause Harley`s and other bikes have such quiet exhausts...

Project:Black Skittle

AOM->April 2014

MRT->http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199779

Comment

Originally posted by michael6593 View Post
                          I know! i was hoping just to get a warning, but a got a damn ticket. It was kind of bull shit because i was coasting down a hill when he pulled me over, so my car was idling. i didn't want to argue with him thought.
                          dude all cops are are revenue collectors and they have to reach a certain quota each week or month or what ever so they will pick on who ever stands out and do you for what ever they think is wrong...they do this in the knowing that most people wont contest it in court and will just pay the fine.

i have had my fair share of wanker cops trying to do me for really stupid things...one cops got really mad because every question he asked me about my car i had a legit answer and my car was fully legal any ways...when it was over and he was handing me back my license he said "next time you better shut your mouth" ROFL

“I’d rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me. Your car is your story, so don’t let someone else write the book.”
                          — Mighty Car Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Madpol View Post
                            dude all cops are are revenue collectors and they have to reach a certain quota each week or month
                            Not true

Comment

Some cops are under pressure to generate revenue... but any GOOD cop does his job because he wants to uphold the law and keep people safe.

If your vehicle is modified in a way that violates your local laws, expect to be pulled over and fined. It's not about cops being revenue generators... it's about YOU needing to be aware of the laws, and your responsibility to follow them. Or, you could do as my friend does, and consider the tickets as a "tax" on his desired modification. He just pays the tickets as he gets them without complaint.

If you're in violation of the law, it's your responsibility to correct the issue. Otherwise, it's the cop's responsibility to write you a ticket. Any cop that allows you to drive by with illegal modifications is actually NOT doing his job (and you pay him to do his job, if you pay taxes!)

If I'm breaking the law, a cop had damn well better pull me over.

Comment

Working...
                              X