Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had some snow today

A 15 minute drive took me 2 hours.
    I also got stuck on a hill that was a 4 lane road.
    Lots of fun rolling backwards and trying to go back up while knowing the RWD
    car next to you doing the same thing could easily kick it's back end out, even
    while people were pushing it.

Anyway, this video is pretty accurate.
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

That Mustang in the snow brought back memories. That was not fun.

Comment

Can't wait to bring the suby to the snow. The all terrain tires tear up the dirt and mud already.
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I don't understand why people taunt those who drive slower in the snow. Yes, there's such a thing as being too slow. But when there's actual snow on the roads... guess what, it's slippery, your 3000lb car isn't going to behave predictably, and there are dumbasses who don't pay attention to their surroundings. It's common sense to be careful yourself.

I've lived around snow most of my life (Colorado doesn't get real winters, but South Dakota did), I'm not uncomfortable driving on it. But I was out one night last winter, actually doing the 40mph speed limit on a snow-and-slush-packed road. A light fairly far ahead was turning yellow, so I tried to slow down in time. Being in an LX with no ABS I tried pumping the pedal, feathering it, but it wasn't quite going to happen. I was a bit squirrely coming up to the intersection and it was empty, so I decided to keep going despite the red. Right before I reached the intersection, the stupid woman in the adjacent street - who I swear was looking right at me until that point - decided to pull out. She damn near T-boned me.

Don't try and act like you 'know the snow.' Wise up and slow down.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
          Can't wait to bring the suby to the snow. The all terrain tires tear up the dirt and mud already.
          That would be so awesome, Im jelly!

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
          I don't understand why people taunt those who drive slower in the snow. Yes, there's such a thing as being too slow. But when there's actual snow on the roads... guess what, it's slippery, your 3000lb car isn't going to behave predictably, and there are dumbasses who don't pay attention to their surroundings. It's common sense to be careful yourself.

I've lived around snow most of my life (Colorado doesn't get real winters, but South Dakota did), I'm not uncomfortable driving on it. But I was out one night last winter, actually doing the 40mph speed limit on a snow-and-slush-packed road. A light fairly far ahead was turning yellow, so I tried to slow down in time. Being in an LX with no ABS I tried pumping the pedal, feathering it, but it wasn't quite going to happen. I was a bit squirrely coming up to the intersection and it was empty, so I decided to keep going despite the red. Right before I reached the intersection, the stupid woman in the adjacent street - who I swear was looking right at me until that point - decided to pull out. She damn near T-boned me.

Don't try and act like you 'know the snow.' Wise up and slow down.
          I get fucked with for going too slow in the snow, over rail road tracks and in and out of parking lots that have large inclines. Most of the time its some ass hole in a big truck. I don’t want to tear my shit up and everyone else trys to run me over. It gets old.

Living here where there are giant embankments and not all corners have guard rails that need them, you have to drive pretty well in the snow or you know where you’ll end up. It doesn’t leave much room for mistakes. You can know your vehicle and how it will respond to every situation. But the road and its conditions are always changing.

Comment

this will be my first winter in a non rwd car in a few years... haha ill sleep better because of this. slammed bmws on sports tires dont make it a fun experience. we havent had ANY snow so far really though.

"Tucking tires and wires."
            The Chronicles.

Comment

When I lived in MN I owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Buick Park Ave Ultra. Both were tanks in the snow and they never got stuck.

I use to laugh at the people with big SUVs in the snow drift that thought they could speed because they had 4wd. They also tried to use full-time 4wd instead of part time then wondered why they spun out at 65mph on relatively clear and plowed roads. One time in TX on Easter day about 6 years ago we had about an inch of snow and all I saw in the ditch was FWD and 4WD vehicles... In MN the FWD vehicles are never in the ditch.

My Nissan Sentra though HATED snow, and the snow stole it's exhaust system too! Straight header FTW! Man that thing was a rust bucket... suprised I survived driving it in MN winters.

Comment

This was my driveway around 10:30p last night. Woke up with about 4x the snow on top of the car. Nothing beats new winter tires, driving skill & leaving early for work. Great day to have the car serviced as well.

Comment

Basically I don't give a shit how fast the other guy wants to go. Ever. If it's shitty out and I'm going slow, feel free to pass me.

Oh and snow tires FTW. All Seasons clearly don't live up to their name.
                  1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

I drove home last night with my sti.....it has summer tires on lol, it wasn't bad actually, the roads were clear the whole way until i got to my city, then i went into ultra granny mode, I couldn't really use my brakes because if i just lightly tapped the brakes the car would slide, accelerating wasn't really an issue as long as i stayed out of boost haha

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
                    1992 Accord EX Coupe
                    My FS Thread
                    Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
                    Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

I drive for a living, and I go up into the mountains (well, what we call mountains... the foothills of the Poconos...) When it snows, it gets pretty crazy here. A few years ago, we had some serious snow, too! When it snows heavy and unexpectedly in an area that's not terribly used to getting so much snow, it's probably a worse situation than a truly heavy snow in areas that are ready for it.

One day a couple years back, I took the Fit out in what was a light snowstorm. Got up north, near the ski resorts, and it started coming down. Hard. Within an hour, the roads were invisible. Small hills were nearly impossible to climb. I had one stop left to do in the area, and I was determined to get it done. I parked the car at the base of a hill and walked nearly a mile to the last stop. Did my job, walked back, just in time to keep my car from getting plowed in!
                      Then I headed home. Not many cars on the road. Quite a few in the ditch. Going up any incline basically required me to spin the wheels until I burned through to asphalt.
                      Then I hit the highway. As I entered the highway, I saw a train of dumptrucks with snowplows, spanning the highway and plowing, dropping salt behind them. Behind me. So now I had to navigate the highway, following the quickly-disappearing tracks of another car long past... and I had to outrun the plows. In that storm, my little snowball of a car was probably invisible to them!

Comment

MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

^^^ WTF happened there?

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                            ^^^ WTF happened there?
                            The road was plowed, but the parking lot wasn't.
                            Freshly snowed parking lot, no one around, and well......
                            MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Oh,

Comment

Working...
                              X