What to do in a Car Accident?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do in a Car Accident?

Hey Cb7, I have thankfully never been in an accident, but I would like to be prepared for any future possibility! What should I do in the case I am in an accident? I know to first call 911, but I still don't understand how to "exchange" insurance information. What exactly are we giving each other? Thank you!

||91 Accord EX|| All of my images are hosted courtesy of imageShack.com
    Door-Sensor fix (DIY)||Interfacing Arduino to Power locks
    RICE = Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement.
    "The greatest advantage of speaking the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said." - unknown
    "That's the funny thing about parts that break... they're never broken until they are!" -deevergote

Drivers license info, insurance company name, policy number, and contact (should all be on their insurance card). Also unless the damage to either party is over $800, and there are injuries you do not need to call 911. If your at fault, call your insurance company asap, if their at fault call theirs asap. In no fault states, you call your insurance company, and they will deal with the other agencies involved.
    Last edited by cloudasc; 10-20-2012, 01:18 PM.
    PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Well first off remain calm,get the license plate just in case they try to dash off, Notify the authorities assess safety measures to make sure everyone including yourself making sure that they are okay.

After doing this make sure its okay to get out of the car becuase you never know if it is leaking or smoking make sure the vehicle is in park and take the keys out and standby and wait. If they try to dash off take down the info car color description year make and model and plates.

Then if you have a notebook handy write down the time and place it occured and what exactly happened. Or throw a little money down and get a dvr car camera recorder to do all the recording for you. I know deevergote has one and so do I I use that for when people drive silly or police profiling in the neighborhood.

Comment

well, when my mom and me got rear ended last year we went ahead and called the cops. For one, it seemed like after she hit us she might leave so we blocked her. For two, she hit us pretty hard so we were hurting but right after the accident the adrenaline is pumping and we weren't really feeling it at first until we calmed down some. When my mom got hit in the side in May, she didn't call the cops. no injuries and my mom was heading to work and because of where they hit, she knew they wouldn't be able to determine who was at fault anyway. Like was said above, insurance, contact info, and might be a good idea to get pictures of both your car and the other driver's for damage evidence. In May, my mom didn't get pictures until she was at work and they were crappy cell cam pics. I got better ones when she got home. I plan on buying a dash cam (or two) to have video evidence on my side in the future.
        1997 Ford Explorer V-6 AT (what a piece of junk)
        1993 Nissan Sentra M/T (front end damage, off road for now)
        1999 Mercury Mountaineer V-8 A/T - RIP (rolled: totaled)
        1992 Honda Accord A/T EX - RIP (transmission shot: sold to junkyard)

Comment

1. Multiple vehicles or damage to property = Call Police (not many people have the ability to properly asses damages on site)
          2. Never admit fault!
          3. Exchange contact info and insurance policy numbers
          4. Give statement to authorities. Take pictures of any and all damage (if you have a camera) this day in age most people at least have a camera phone.
          5. Contact your insurance agent and give them the details, Date, time, Who was involved and their policy number/contact info. & responding officers Name/badge number.
          6. Again do not admit fault. Leave that up to the proper authorities to determine who was at fault.

At least that has been my experience.
          Last edited by GhostAccord; 10-20-2012, 12:57 PM.
          MR Thread
          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Panic.
            MRT
            37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
            30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
            27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
            Originally posted by Tippey764
            I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
            Originally posted by deevergote
            sneaky motherfucker

Comment

^ Lol. I was actually thinking about this today for some reason, thanks for the info guys. Hopefully I won't have to be in that situation someday.
              10th Anniversary Accord.
              05 Audi A4 Ultra Sport 6MT.

Comment

Don't beat the shit out of the asshole that just hit your car the way I would.

Comment

I just got in an accident a few weeks ago. A lady rear-ended my Caddy.

First thing, stay calm. Do not get out screaming and yelling.
                  I got out of the car, took pictures of the damage and the scene, and pulled into a parking lot (only because we were blocking a ramp, and holding up traffic... if you're not blocking traffic, do not move the vehicles until police arrive.)
                  If the damage is minor and both you and the other party don't care to get police/insurance involved, you can take a risk and exchange information, and leave it at that. Risky, though. A police report is ALWAYS best, though it will be reported to your insurance, and show up on Carfax.

If you do call the police, it's best to remain in the vehicle. Do not discuss the accident with the other driver. Do not admit to fault, even if it is clearly your fault. In fact, keep as quiet as possible... stating facts, and nothing else, when speaking to the police officer. The police will appreciate a brief description of events, and they will be more likely to take your side... especially if the other driver is flipping out. Stay calm.

Personally, I don't interact with the other driver. I don't "exchange" information. I hand my information to the police officer, and they hand over their information. When I pick up the police report 10 days later, all their information is on that report.

The police officer at the scene last time told me to call my own insurance company and explain the situation. Provide the other driver's insurance information to my own insurance company, and they'll sort it out between themselves.
                  I haven't called yet, as I just picked up the report the other day. I'll let you know what my insurance company has to say about it.

So, briefly summarizing, based on my experience:
                  Stay calm.
                  Call the police (911, or if you know the local number, call direct... best not to tie up 911 if you don't have to, unless someone is injured!)
                  Take pictures.
                  Do not move the vehicles if practical to do so. If you have to move, move to a nearby location safely out of the way.
                  Stay in the vehicle.
                  Do not interact with the other driver.
                  When the police arrive, have your license, registration, and insurance ready.
                  Provide a brief and accurate account of the incident... leave your opinions, profanities, etc... out of it.
                  Call your insurance company AFTER dealing with the police. Do not sit there on the phone while the officer is trying to get an understanding of the incident... it will only reflect poorly on you in his report!

Comment

Holler oh my neck.

02 Crv
                    02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                    92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                    Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Originally posted by SOHC-FTW View Post
                      Holler oh my neck.
                      lol. Oh the pain! The pain of it all!

Comment

Originally posted by SOHC-FTW View Post
                        Holler oh my neck.
                        You forgot the back part...yell "my neck and my back" and go on and on about how you can't feel you legs....that only works if you know it's not your fault

If it is your fault....run like hell, get to some place you know, wait about 3 hours. Call the police and tell them your car was stolen...you just woke up with a hang over to find it gone

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          I just got in an accident a few weeks ago. A lady rear-ended my Caddy.
                          Damn you just got that thing.

Comment

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post
                            lol. Oh the pain! The pain of it all!
                            Yeah most times that doesn't work so much up here north of the border though! Thankfully!
                            MR Thread
                            GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Pick up your Cb and put it back on the road and go home. lol
                              That's my Cb, I was driving back home in the rain and I went over a fairly large puddle of oil, with my right tires doing about 20-30 mph? well bellow the 65 mph limit and the car spun three times and I ended up backwards on a small hill. Terrifying night luckily some dudes behind me stopped and made sure me and my friend were okay and helped me move my car, my cb is fine just needed a new radiator. Just as a note this was at around 2-3 AM so there were literally two other cars other than mine on the highway.

I grabbed a ton of dirt cleaned the oil spill with it, made a report and went home. (I'm a part of the Sheriff's academy in that district.)
                              Last edited by RedFalcoln; 10-20-2012, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X