6k or 8k hid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6k or 8k hid

i cant seem to decide between 6k and 8k hid bulbs. if you see my sig or even my mrt you will see my cb is white. what do you think looks the best?
    visit vgruk

4300k in a projector

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
    It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

Originally posted by Quashish View Post
      4300k in a projector
      The only reasonable option.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Agreed. 4300k is pure white. 6 is bluish. 8 is omgwtfbbqricer.

Bright blue lights have gone the way of big aluminum wings, stick-on vents, and altezza tail lights.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          Agreed. 4300k is pure white. 6 is bluish. 8 is omgwtfbbqricer.

Bright blue lights have gone the way of big aluminum wings, stick-on vents, and altezza tail lights.
          I think mine look good. They're 10000k... Lol. When I get around to re doing them I'm going with a 6000k though.
          '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

12k you won't be disappointed.

Comment

I have 5k, only because my seller didn't offer 4300k.
              The closer to white you go, the more light you'll have.
              MRT
              37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
              30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
              27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
              Originally posted by Tippey764
              I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
              Originally posted by deevergote
              sneaky motherfucker

Comment

4300/4500 is daylight.

5000k is daylight with a blue hue.

Anything above 5000k is really just useless....

6k is really the limit...but I have 5k and they are more then enough....the HID "blue" with plenty of light.

Projectors are ideal, but I don't agree that hid's in halogen housings are ricer.

If properly aimed and not 10k, then they look pretty good.

Again, that's imo.

Comment

Supposedly, even a hint of yellow makes for a more usable light... though anything less than white doesn't look as striking, IMO.

I don't mind as high as 6. I had that in my GTP, before I realized 6 was bluish. It was subtle, and not ricey looking (the ricey part was that it was in the stock housings, but I didn't care... I actually did it for safety rather than looks, because the light output was TERRIBLE on that car!)

Comment

I've been blinded far too many times by the local kids in their Civics running HIDs in halogen projectors. I suppose they could be aimed more effectively... but the flood of light just looks so messy. It throws that light everywhere. No clean cutoff like HIDs should have, no control over the light. To aim HIDs in stock housings to not be blinding, you essentially have to eliminate all usefulness of the increased light output, making it a purely aesthetic mod.
                    That's why I haven't thrown an HID kit in the Fit yet. The stock output is terrible, but that thing would throw light everywhere, especially with those huge-ass lights it has!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      Supposedly, even a hint of yellow makes for a more usable light... though anything less than white doesn't look as striking, IMO.

I don't mind as high as 6. I had that in my GTP, before I realized 6 was bluish. It was subtle, and not ricey looking (the ricey part was that it was in the stock housings, but I didn't care... I actually did it for safety rather than looks, because the light output was TERRIBLE on that car!)
                      See that's what im talking about.

I did my stock housings because I didn't plan on heavily modifying this Accord.

I thought, "projectors will look extreme on a rather stock car".

Yes they would offer better light distribution, but the effort to me was not worth it since I wouldn't be doing anything else.

So I loaded up 5k hids to improve lighting and also since hids last a helluva lot longer then halogen bulbs.

So I don't understand how that would equal ricer?

If you threw hids in stock housings and went with 10k only because everyone else had them and then your car burnt down because you didn't install them right or piggy backed them onto those horrible looking led strips that errrbody and their mamas doing, then imo, that would be ricer lol.

Comment

I don't think that if you aim correctly, you lose all the improvements of hid bulbs making it purely asthetic.

Ill have to upload some pictures from my setup because I aimed mine and I feel the light output is still better then reg bulbs.

Not only does it look light reg bulbs+fogs, it still illuminates reflective signs plenty far making it easier to see exits/merges etc far before im on top of them.

idk....but i ran them for a few days unaimed and got flashed once or twice, so i checked and noticed that the gears had markings and they seemed to have been moved.

Moved the lights back to the markings(im assuming is OEM position) and haven't been flashed again(and the lights seem to be aimed more downward then straight on)

Im sure since roads aren't all symmetrical and flat, that my lights are annoying at some point to oncoming drivers but I don't get flashed or anything and a friend who drove ahead of me one night told me that my lights were not annoying at all so idk.

I wanted to get hids for the Fit for the same reason, better light output, but I wasn't sold on it yet.

I would rather do projectors the second time around....

and also the fit uses one bulb for high/low right?

So the hids I have now would not work and the cr-v probably uses a different setup so ill have to chuck them unless I leave them in the car.
                        Last edited by Ralphie; 10-13-2012, 10:00 AM.

Comment

It's more the blinding flood of light it creates. When someone's modification makes MY life more difficult, such as blinding me when I'm driving toward them, then that modification is unacceptable.
                          I suppose it does depend on the vehicle, though. If the lights can be aimed to be useful, and not blind oncoming traffic, then I suppose there's no problem, other than the fact that it doesn't look nearly as clean as a projector retrofit would.

Comment

figured i'd chime in...

HIDs in stock halogen housings are wack. Do a projector retrofit so you won't be blinding/pissing-off oncoming traffic. Or just get some high watt halogen bulbs. Either way just be considerate of others and get it done properly.

As far as aiming HIDs conservatively while in stock housings, well that's just bullshit. I've done it and i know for a fact you will not cut enough glare to make a difference. HIDs scatter so much light in halogen reflectors that you'd be aiming them so far down you wouldn't get the benefit of using such an intense lamp.

PROJECTOR RETROFIT>PnP HID Kit

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

I guess it is just a matter of opinion.

I try to be considerate of people....

I also notice a lot more people driving around these days with their brights on all the fucking time.

I don't participate in that.

Like I said, If I was getting flashed everytime I drove, id remove them because I don't want to distract/annoy other drivers.

I don't get that, and I did before aiming them, and afterwards I feel that the light output is still respectable....

so either im delusional or I just rock at aiming headlamps lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X