I finally started brewing beer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally started brewing beer.

Two of my friends and I went to a brewing class today. We figured we might as well learn the intricacies under the instruction of an expert, rather than learn by trial and error (and wasting time, money, and confidence by brewing batch after batch of swill!)

Anyway, there's a homebrew store in our area, and the dude gives lessons. Nice guy, REALLY knows his stuff. I'm excited for the final product! It should be ready in 3-4 weeks.

We chose to do a Black IPA (inspired by 21Amendment's Back in Black IPA.)

Eventually we'll be brewing with our own equipment, but it's pretty cool to have such a place available!

8.8% ipa deevergotes in the future?

Comment

We're shooting for about 6.5%

I should make a Deeverbrew

Comment

Being around the Germans, I got to see them drink; A FUCKING LOT! Every minute they have a beer raised to their lips. They told me in Germany, the beer is about 15-18% in some cases. They even mentioned that if you drink two 1/2 liter glasses, you'll be in for. I'm not a big drinker, so.... Ehh, I did have about 5 or 6 beers this summer in total.
        The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

That's awesome Deev. Me and my brother have been talking about doing it for years.. talk is cheap.. especially compared to trial and error like you said. Going to a class was probably the best thing you could have done. I'm going to look into that in my area. I may have to make a road trip to try a deeverbrew!

Comment

The owner of the shop said "if you can make pasta, you can follow a beer recipe"... and it's true. But there are SO many details that can change the flavor of a beer. It's intimidating, but really cool.

I even looked up how much it would cost to obtain a brewery license in NJ (about $10,600). I know that's thinking WAY ahead, but it'd be pretty badass to be able to brew and sell what I make, once I actually get good at it!

Comment

Hustla' by nature.
              The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Cool stuff Deev.
                Sell me some brew when its finished lol.

BB6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=200445<Summer Lover
                BD6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194262<Dailey/Future AutoX
                Mazda 6s->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201313<Wifes
                CB7->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189108<Sold

Comment

dope! Ive been drinking these lately...its a Thai beer, i like the taste but its only 5%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singha
                  1993 Accord LX - Sold
                  93 BMW 525it - SOLD
                  92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
                  2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
                  2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
                  2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
                  2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
                  2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

I've had that before. I don't think I realized it was Thai!

I actually prefer beer that's 5% or less. I can drink more and not get hammered.

Comment

Why NJ? Thought you were in Pa.. it would be pretty cool, to be able to sell your product. Very gratifying to know others like what you've done (not only beer, car mods, etc) We Have a local brewery about 2 miles from me, they've expanded so much in the last 5 years! The Guy started in his garage, then they had to build an addition on their house, then they ended up building a big building behind their house. The wife used to go around to all the area stores and deliver product. They've gotten so big, the same company that distributes Budweiser in this area does theirs too. But of course that's their job, perhaps you could be that lucky, quit your day job!

On a side note - being in retail previously I've met a lot of brewers, and by far Jim Koch (Sam Adams) is so down to earth. He really cares about his brand, really nice soft spoken man

Comment

Lived in NJ all my life, man.
                        My location is simply a clever usage of "PIITB"

The guy that ran the shop today also praised Koch. Apparently he's a really awesome guy.
                        There's a homebrewer's club that meets around my area, and a few of the larger local brewers are members (like the owner of Iron Hill Brewery... 4 restaurants in the area, but they can only serve their beer in the restaurant, not distribute it otherwise) I'm thinking of joining.

Comment

I always wondered what the hell your location meant because I was sure you could spell Pittsburgh haha. Also congrats on 34k posts Big Dawg lol.

The Facebook group

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            Lived in NJ all my life, man.
                            My location is simply aclever usage of "PIITB"

The guy that ran the shop today also praised Koch. Apparently he's a really awesome guy.
                            There's a homebrewer's club that meets around my area, and a few of the larger local brewers are members (like the owner of Iron Hill Brewery... 4 restaurants in the area, but they can only serve their beer in the restaurant, not distribute it otherwise) I'm thinking of joining.
                            OK now I feel like a noob.. what is piitb? Lol

Comment

put it in the butt

Comment

Working...
                              X