Surviving the Apocalypse: Penicillin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surviving the Apocalypse: Penicillin

I want to make these a series of useful things to be documented when the need arises in December. This is the first I thought of.
    Taken from: http://www.howtodothings.com/health-...ake-penicillin
    (Because I don't actually know how)

Want to survive the Apocalypse? Well, you'll need to know how to make this common antibiotic to fend off those germs, zombie inflicted or otherwise.

Supplies:

Slice of bread or citrus peel
    750ml Erlenmeyer flask
    Media (see Step 4)
    1000ml (1 L) graduated cylinder
    Several clean milk bottles

Prepare a penicillium culture. Expose a slice of bread or a citrus peel to a 70 degree Fahrenheit environment. A blue-green mold should develop.
    Sterilize the equipment. Place the flask in the oven at 315 degrees Fahrenheit for one hour, or sterilize in a pressure cooker for at least 15 minutes. Wash the milk bottles.
    Fill the Erlenmeyer flask. Cut the bread or citrus peel into small pieces and fill the flask. Allow to incubate in the dark at 70 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 days. After this incubation period, the flask can be stored in the refrigerator for no more than 10-14 days.

Prepare the media. Dissolve the following ingredients, in the order listed, into 500ml of cold tap water: 44.0 grams Lactose Monohydrate, 25.0 grams cornstarch, 3.0 grams sodium nitrate, 0.25 grams magnesium sulfate, 0.50 grams potassium phosphate mono, 2.75 grams glucose monohydrate, 0.044 grams zinc sulfate, 0.044 grams manganese sulfate. Then add enough cold tap water to make one liter. Use hydrochloric acid to adjust the pH to between 5.0 and 5.5.
    Fill the bottles with media. Fill the milk bottles with this media. Use only enough so that when the bottle is placed in its side, the media does not reach the plug.
    Add the penicillin spores. First sterilize the bottles of media in a pressure cooker or in the stove, as you did the Erlenmeyer flask. When they have cooled, add approximately one tablespoon of the spores from the bread or citrus peel.
    Incubate the bottles. Allow the bottles to rest undisturbed on their sides at 70 degrees Fahrenheit for 7 days. If the culture has worked to produce penicillin, it will be in the liquid portion of the media following this incubation period. Finally, filter the media and refrigerate immediately. If you must use it, although this should be avoided, use as soon as possible.

The penicillin made from this experiment should not be used unless it is a survival situation. It is possible for other, toxic molds to grow along with the penicillin, even if you know what you are doing. It is also possible for mold inhibitors to grow, stopping the growth of the penicillin spores.

Questions? Comments? I plan on making more of these, whether it's stuff I actually have experience doing or things that'll be useful.
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

Chances are, if you have an infection that presents an emergency great enough to make your own penicillin... you'll probably be dead in the time it'd take to make it!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      Chances are, if you have an infection that presents an emergency great enough to make your own penicillin... you'll probably be dead in the time it'd take to make it!
      hehe. i'd rather break into a pharmacy to scavenge some assuming it hasn't already been raided by other survivors.

Comment

Thats a damn good point Deev. Someone clearly did not think this thread through prior to creating and posting it...
        Henry R
        Koni/Neuspeed
        1992 Accord LX R.I.P
        1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
        Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
        made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Perhaps you have a steady supply ready?
          (Make new stuff every week?)
          Or, you figure out how to preserve it and get it into pill form.
          MRT
          37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
          30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
          27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
          Originally posted by Tippey764
          I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
          Originally posted by deevergote
          sneaky motherfucker

Comment

I do think that this info is good to know. Pretty neat GeoffM!

Comment

Is it just me, or is all this zombie apocalypse shit the new Y2K?

Comment

Why does everyone think the world is going to end in 2012 with a zombie apocalypse? The Mayan calender is never going to end. It's like December 31st of every year. It goes onto the next cycle. Just as 12/21/12 will go onto the next cycle of the Mayans calender. They would actually be celebrating!

Comment

Originally posted by cuate01221 View Post
                  Why does everyone think the world is going to end in 2012 with a zombie apocalypse? The Mayan calender is never going to end. It's like December 31st of every year. It goes onto the next cycle. Just as 12/21/12 will go onto the next cycle of the Mayans calender. They would actually be celebrating!
                  too many movies
                  1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by cuate01221 View Post
                    because it keeps bar talk interesting.

(and gives me an excuse to buy an AR-15)
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                      because it keeps bar talk interesting.

(and gives me an excuse to buy an AR-15)
                      AR-15 is in my aresenal as well. In my opinion, the .22 rifle will be the ultimate weapon in the end though.

I've got thousands of rounds for .22, probably paid 20 bux for every 500.

Shoots as fast as I can pull the trigger, reliable, easy to clean. Few mechanical parts. Clips can hold any amount of bullets if paired with the right rifle.

For me, .22 rifle will be my zombie hunting weapon and something 7.62 or .223 will be for personal protection. You know, save deadly bullets for the looters and theives and drop zombies all day long posted up on the roof top with a scope and a .22 rifle.

I'll kill thousands of zombies for like 100 bux and save my expensive bullets for the real assholes.
                      Originally posted by wed3k
                      im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Have you shot much of that cheap .22LR ammo? I have. About 1 in 5 split the casing and you have to dig the shell out of the chamber.

Not knocking an AR15 but they are known for jamming. Thats what happened to the colorado killer.

Here is my set up for the Apocalypse. H&R Pardener 12GA Pump. Every bolt on you can buy besides a heat shield.

And a bolt action, .308 WIN MAG with a BSA Cats Eye adjustable range scope.

I have about 200 rounds of this ammo for each.

For the .308 http://www.hornady.com/store/308-Win-168-gr-Z-MAX

For the 12GA http://www.hornady.com/store/12-Ga-00-Z-MAX

Comment

I have prolly shot 100,000 .22 rounds in my life. I know what you are saying. Still, 2-3 .22 rifles within arms reach will work out for me. Easy to clean, easy to work on, easy to keep up on.

I bet my guns jam once in 300-400 rounds. Like once a day my rifle might jam if we are blasting a box of .22's.

Nice shotgun!
                          Originally posted by wed3k
                          im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
                            I have prolly shot 100,000 .22 rounds in my life. I know what you are saying. Still, 2-3 .22 rifles within arms reach will work out for me. Easy to clean, easy to work on, easy to keep up on.

I bet my guns jam once in 300-400 rounds. Like once a day my rifle might jam if we are blasting a box of .22's.

Nice shotgun!
                            WTF man... maybe because both of mine are made by Savage. Thats the only thing i can think of. Savage Arms does make a cheap .22 rifle i guess.

My friend tried using the Remington copper head .22LRs in his brand new savage and we had to dig them out too.

I have a .22LR with simi-auto too. Not enough fire power for me. After shooting Coyotes as a kid and having to hit them 3 or 4 times to kill them i guess it turned me off to them. Very reliable tho. And a good bolt action 22LR is dead on!

And thank you!

EDIT: IDK how i forgot about this until just now but i also shot myself with a .22LR as a kid. Right in the chin bone and in the shoulder.
                            Last edited by H311RA151N; 08-03-2012, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Gotta love those guns. Well gettin gback to topic I have seen things well not in relation to movies when people go bezerk. If there is a zombie outbreak you will either be dead with the rest if your lucky enough to survive.

This kind of reminds of of the outbreak where everything is permitted from rape,robbery all kinds of shit where this is only chaos and everything electronic and all you hold dear aside from your family is pretty much useless.

Your best bet is to try home remedies make sure security and protection is top notch and if needed providing that the area is safe not contaminated living off the land.

Comment

Working...
                              X