O2 sensors in newer cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O2 sensors in newer cars

Since I've started working at Autozone, roughly twice a week I get people asking why their MPGs suck and why their O2s keep going bad. I explain to them that a failed catalytic converter will cause them to go bad frequently.
    Midway through my sentence (I work in the ghetto) they shout (always shouting) that they had the cat cut off and put it a straight pipe.

I laugh and make fun of them in terms they'll never understand.

Anyways: Lets say I bought a newer car and wanted to delete the cat.
    What is the proper way to go about this? Unplug the downstream o2? Code the ECU not to look for it?

Btw, I won't pass this along. I really have quite a hatred for the people that come in.
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
    Since I've started working at Autozone, roughly twice a week I get people asking why their MPGs suck and why their O2s keep going bad. I explain to them that a failed catalytic converter will cause them to go bad frequently.
    Midway through my sentence (I work in the ghetto) they shout (always shouting) that they had the cat cut off and put it a straight pipe.

What is the proper way to go about this? Unplug the downstream o2? Code the ECU not to look for it?

Btw, I won't pass this along. I really have quite a hatred for the people that come in.
    put some non-foulers in and drill out the centers to accept O2 sensors, then screw those in with the O2 sensors into the exhaust system to trick the ECU that the cats are still there.

I had to do it to my mom's 03' Toyota sienna after replacing all 3 O2 sensors, and the CELs were still there. It's probably a Cat that's gone bad (BARELY under the acceptable limits) but I'm not going to make her buy $2000 cat. converters just to make the damn light go away. So I did that trick and they've been off for over 10k miles now...she still gets great gas mileage but now can use the VSC & Traction control since those CELs aren't stopping those functions.

Cost for the mod? about 3.99 at Autozone.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post

how would something behind the o2 cause them to go out prematurely?

bad gas, consumption of fluids and miles are what contribute to o2 failures.
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

My friend installed something called an o2 simulator on his Mustang when he had headers installed. He said that they trick the car into thinking that the o2 sensors were there and that they were perfectly healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
          put some non-foulers in and drill out the centers to accept O2 sensors, then screw those in with the O2 sensors into the exhaust system to trick the ECU that the cats are still there.

I had to do it to my mom's 03' Toyota sienna after replacing all 3 O2 sensors, and the CELs were still there. It's probably a Cat that's gone bad (BARELY under the acceptable limits) but I'm not going to make her buy $2000 cat. converters just to make the damn light go away. So I did that trick and they've been off for over 10k miles now...she still gets great gas mileage but now can use the VSC & Traction control since those CELs aren't stopping those functions.

Cost for the mod? about 3.99 at Autozone.
          This would only work for the downstream sensors, correct?
          Idk how the sensors work really.

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
          how would something behind the o2 cause them to go out prematurely?

bad gas, consumption of fluids and miles are what contribute to o2 failures.
          The downstream o2 monitors the exhaust to make sure the cat is doing it's job. If the cat isn't there, then the o2 readings are going to be off. The car will run rich or lean to try and compensate, and it will kill both of them.
          MRT
          37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
          30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
          27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
          Originally posted by Tippey764
          I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
          Originally posted by deevergote
          sneaky motherfucker

Comment

some systems will compensate but for the most part it is only used for catalyst health.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
            X