This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when cant you tell a cop no.

So today I was driving in scottsdale going to the freeway. On the other side of the road I see a cb7 pulled in a bus stop with his hood open. So I make a U turn and go pull up behind him. We started talking and I thought he may need to use my extra dizzy or main relay. He was in a 92-93 ex with 293k. After checking his car out I found out he had a broken timing belt so there was nothing I could do to help him. I was like later and I was walking to my car when a cop rools up. I told the cop what was going on and I was like I am going to go, he said no, asked me if I had weapons I said no. He asked to see my ID and I said no then he was like dude I am the police you have to show me your ID and he was being a asshole about it so I was like ok( Did I have to?)because I was not doing anything wrong nor did he have any reasion to think I was. He walked up to my car ans started looking threw the windows with his light( can he do that?) Its a good thing my tint was so dark he could not see my friends in the back because they could of went to jail but lets not talk about that.
    Last edited by thepowderblue; 03-05-2012, 03:51 AM.
    Green EX http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176536
    93 SE http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210486

My understanding of it is in that situation you ask "Am I under arrest?" if he says no then you can leave at your own discretion. I think.
    -Will

Comment

if he asks for ID you have to give it to him. now if he asks if he can search you or your car you can say no. they get grumpy and shit about it and ask if you are hiding anything. but they dont have the right unless you say yes. he can use his flashlight to look inside but he cant actually open the door and go in. at least, thats what ive been told.

i never really have anything to hide so i usually tell them to go right ahead and search since they start bombarding me with a ton of questions when i say no. i even asked the cop to find m radio remote because i havent been able to find it (messy car. was like a trash bin lol). they let me go and when i go to sit down my remote was on my seat . but its a pain. didnt happen before or after the cb7 though lol

no
      Accord turbo kit under $2k here
      $30 HID kits here Thread
      "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
      "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

but when I give him my id he walked off with it so I was stuck there and he told me to stay behind my car.
        Green EX http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176536
        93 SE http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210486

Comment

Originally posted by thepowderblue View Post
          but when I give him my id he walked off with it so I was stuck there and he told me to stay behind my car.
          He can visually look in your car as long as he didnt go in it. If you ask why are you going in my car and I did not give consent for you to go into my car. Then at that point if he does dont aregue with him get his badge number get the complain form if you had your car on the side of the road.

If he gives you a ticket get a reciept for the repairs for the next day for any little shit that he gives you and get it thrown out as for the window tint cant help you there only if you have none in the front the rest can be tinted out though. Dont get smart with him hes just lonely and im sure if you had doughnuts in the car you should have given him one im sure he would have helped you get your car fixed and kept it moving.

Just be cool with them but if they are uncool just write them up and report them on the low. Most of all dont make them feel uncomfortable thats a bad combo especially when they have a gun and dont have the best of aim.

Comment

Use paragraphs dude or just give us Cliff notes.

Comment

You mean he didn't ask to see your papers?

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
              Originally posted by Jarrett
              Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by Law Grandeur View Post
                if he asks for ID you have to give it to him. now if he asks if he can search you or your car you can say no. they get grumpy and shit about it and ask if you are hiding anything. but they dont have the right unless you say yes. he can use his flashlight to look inside but he cant actually open the door and go in. at least, thats what ive been told.
                ^This.

I have refused search 3 times.
                You must provide ID when asked.
                As long as you are not driving illegally, or doing anything that is an arrestable offense, you can refuse.
                If while looking in your car with a flashlight, he sees your rolled up doob/smells weed or spies what could be an unregistered firearm, that is probable cause. (If you have a permit, its not probable cause, but you would have disclosed that you had a registered weapon when he asked you if you had any.)
                It does always help to be nice, and polite.
                Project wagon! Much excite! 2018!

That Sedan. Purchased '07-->Swap'd-->Tuck'd-->Wreck'd-->May '16

Comment

my best friend is a cop, and this is what he says

if they ask for your DL and you refuse to give it to him, hes going to go under the suspision that your hiding something and he will take you in to the station and tow your car...so its easier to just give it up.

can a cop look through your window, absolutely, but he cant go in unless he has reasonable doubt that there is contraband inside the vehicle. again, if you refuse to let them search the car and they have reason to believe your hiding something, your cars being towed and they're getting a warrant to search it...again...easier to just let them look.

if he wants to be a real dick, if he asks for you DL and you say no, he'll ask to see if your insurance papers are all up to date, at wich point you will HAVE to hand over your info to him..

so yeah...when a cop comes up to you...its easier to just comply then deal with a headache.

but on the other hand...why would your friends go to jail if he had seen them??
                  ..[CB7][STAR]..
                  MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

In the states, you have the right refuse search and seizure. If a cop looks in your vehicle and then asks if he can search your vehicle, you have the right to say no.

Now, the reason he's looking in your car is, not only for possible suspicious things like drugs or weapons, but also things that he could say looked like drugs or weapons. If he really wanted to he could say a lighter was reasonable cause. It's an extremely large gray area that, unfortunately, errs on the side of the law.

It's your given, written right to refuse search without a warrant. If he doesn't like it, he shouldn't have become a cop. Again, in the states, they cannot tow your car either, just because you refused a search. It's like you trying to pay for something in coins. It's legal tender so the business has to take it. They won't be happy because it's an inconvenience to them but you have every legal right.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.

Comment

IN CANADA, an officer has complete authority to look through the windows of your car. Also, if you don't provide ID you'll be arrested until they/we figure out who you are.

Instead of saying "we are leaving" when he asked what was going on, you should have said, "I saw this car and wanted to see if I could help since I have the same car and I know how to work on them." Sounds way less suspicious.
                      My Car
                      FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

Acting like military or police helps, too. Using words like "civilian", "bystander", "motorist", "assistance", "all clear", "10-4", and "good buddy" are all very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeW View Post
                          Acting like military or police helps, too. Using words like "civilian", "bystander", "motorist", "assistance", "all clear", "10-4", and "good buddy" are all very helpful.
                          That, or it would put him on edge. Military doesn't always help you. My friend got pulled over the day he got back (I was in the backseat). His military clothes and ID didn't help him.
                          Actually, I take that back. Instead of a DUI he got improper lane use. I guess the cop was just verbally upset.

Originally posted by MikeW View Post
                          You mean he didn't ask to see your papers?
                          I loled.
                          MRT
                          37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                          30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                          27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                          Originally posted by Tippey764
                          I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                          Originally posted by deevergote
                          sneaky motherfucker

Comment

most likely he was suspicious of you and thats why he asked to see your id and to stick around. I would do the same if I rolled up on a car and right when I get there you are leaving. What if the car came back stolen and he just let you leave. Then he will get shit for you leaving.

Comment

Welcome to post 9/11 America Id research all your state and local laws. Even though cops hate it when you know the law better then them, Its a great feeling to school them and not be a subservient sheep. If youre legit no worries,you can stand your ground, just make sure you have time to spend while they waste it. Or be a good sheep and do what he says with a yes sir no sir and you can usually get outta there a lot faster lol

Comment

Working...
                              X