Are the torrent sites on the way out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the torrent sites on the way out?

I've been using the pirate bay for torrents for a while now, and it's always been good to me. Today, I went to download an audiobook (discovered that they're GREAT to listen to while driving for work!) and I saw a message I never saw before. When my Bit Torrent client loaded the torrent, it said "access denied". According to the site, there were 2 seeders for the file I tried to download (and 1 seeder for another file... same result.)

http://www.youhavedownloaded.com/

Go here Are there any results? If so then you aren't doing it right lol ... IE you could have RIAA/MPAA issues...

Comment

Could just be a bad seed. But as far as torrent websites- If there's a will, there's always going be a way lol.

Comment

I just checked, and apparently one of the files had completed the download, and the other (while saying "there may be an issue") was actually in progress. Weird...

It's not exactly a popular file. That could be part of it, I suppose.

Comment

there's something about magnet files that I'm not sure about yet.
          My Car
          FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

And yeah, thepiratebay.org has become thepiratebay.se... so I guess they're completely offshore now. Good.

I generally don't support piracy, and I'm one of those people that will pirate an album and then pay for it if I like it. I've owned the books I'm listening to for years... well, most of the series, anyway. Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I don't own the audiobooks, so I suppose I AM stealing them... but honestly, I feel I already own the books, so why pay for the audiobook? Plus, Robert Jordan is dead! That, and the people reading the books aren't very good...

What are magnet files, anyway? I've noticed the magnet links, right next to the 'download torrent file' link. The end result is the same... you get the file.

Comment

I use the Bay as well, and as a back up I use www.kat.ph
              Originally posted by Mishakol129
              Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

That's a new one to me. i'll have to give it a shot! I can't remember the one I used to use... something-nova. Not mininova. They had some serious legal issues, if I recall, and ended up being so restricted that it wasn't worth even visiting.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  That's a new one to me. i'll have to give it a shot! I can't remember the one I used to use... something-nova. Not mininova. They had some serious legal issues, if I recall, and ended up being so restricted that it wasn't worth even visiting.
                  it's kick ass torrents, they just shortened the URL.
                  Originally posted by Mishakol129
                  Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Piratebay and ISOhunt were always my go-to sites. ISOhunt had some legal issues I think and it's changed up a bit, still works, just not like it used to

Comment

the only one that i know of that has closed down recently has been BTJunkie. other than that the rest should be up and running

no
                      Accord turbo kit under $2k here
                      $30 HID kits here Thread
                      "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
                      "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

Yeah, I discovered that tonight.

It must have been a damaged tracker file, or perhaps the site just wasn't updated, and reported seeders when there weren't any. At least I got my book now! I wasn't looking forward to working without it. There are 13 books to this series now, I think. I read the first 9 over the span of 3 years or so long ago... and by the time I got to 9, it was so freakin complicated that I was lost... and it had been so long that I couldn't remember what had happened previously! Now, since I'm in the car 10 hours a day, I can listen to an entire book in a few days. I won't get lost!

Comment

I thought this thread was going in a different direction.

I don't know if they're on their way out, but they're definitely changing. Americans shutting down an Australian website and arresting all the employee's (Who weren't all Australian) scared a lot of people.

But, people will always find a way to download things. From what I understand, when P2P became threatened, the powers that be came up with torrents.

If torrents become threatened, something else will pop up.
                          MRT
                          37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                          30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                          27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                          Originally posted by Tippey764
                          I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                          Originally posted by deevergote
                          sneaky motherfucker

Comment

I'm sure. Nothing will stop piracy. Before the internet, people did it with blank cassettes, VHS tapes, and photocopies.

I DO try to support the artists and companies that provide quality products. I'll use piracy as a "try before you buy" deal. Hell, I just downloaded an album that I've owned on CD since I was 16 years old (Paradise Lost - Draconian Times.) It's their 2011 live version of the entire album... not what I wanted, and I don't own that... but I really just wanted the songs. I'd have preferred the version that I already own. However, I now know that they're awesome live, even now that they're all old dudes... so if I see them coming around, I'll very likely go to the concert. Something I may not have done before hearing this live record.

Comment

Working...
                            X