Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is ATT forcing people out of grandfathered accounts for renewal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is ATT forcing people out of grandfathered accounts for renewal?

I dont know if theres any truth to it or not, but I remember hearing that for future contract renewals or upgrades, ATT was going to make you choose a plan currently available. Was that ever something they did? My wife wants to convert to android and one of our plans is up for renewal real soon here... but I wont sign a new contract if theyre going to force me out of my unlimited plan.

I'm pretty sure they will make you choose a new plan.

I got mine after the change and there was a guy there asking why his bill was so high and the rep was telling him that since he renewed his contract it was no longer unlimited.

shit sucks I used to tether internet from my gf's phone to my pc but cant no more.

sorry

Comment

Originally posted by mappyCB7 View Post
      I'm pretty sure they will make you choose a new plan.

I got mine after the change and there was a guy there asking why his bill was so high and the rep was telling him that since he renewed his contract it was no longer unlimited.

shit sucks I used to tether internet from my gf's phone to my pc but cant no more.

sorry
      switch to sprint they still have unlimited data

Originally posted by Dr.x
      You drive an almost 20 year old car, pretty much everyone can pay it off.. you dont need to be "ballin"

Comment

Originally posted by Dhsmokymcpot View Post
        switch to sprint they still have unlimited data
        I would probably switch to the local phone company as they offer unlimited everything for pretty cheap. Over the holidays they were even offering buying out peoples contracts to get them to switch.

Comment

j

I'm sure the "unlimited" isn't really unlimited. Usually, its capped at 5gb per month and if you go over, the overage fees are ridiculous. Sprint included. They tell you its unlimited, but its not. The average phone user doesn't use any more than 2gb a month so it appears to be unlimited.

Sprint mainly capped the data on mobile hotspot plans.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...bile-hotspot/1

From my readings, the only true unlimited data plan that sprint even has now is for the iPhone 4S only.

But, to be on topic, yes, ATT will force you to renew to a uptodate plan depending in how old your plan is.
          Last edited by dysfunk; 01-13-2012, 12:25 PM.
          92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
          2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
          2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

me and my dad just went and got new phones from ATT a few weeks ago and they specifically said he didnt have to change his unlimited plan because he was grandfathered into it.
            峠 で ドリフト を して 下さい。

steam linky facebook, y0 俺 は 走り屋 です。 clickable ^

Comment

yea i've upgraded since the plan change and didnt lose my unlimited data on att.

Comment

I haven't heard of these changes, but I know AT&T is scumbag enough to pull something like this. An overwhelming minority of its customers are on unlimited data plans and even fewer of those actually use over 2GB of data per month. AT&T just wants a way to screw those who use Pandora and other streaming data apps all day.

Hoopeless and ric3rboi23, I'd double-check and make sure you weren't just talking to an AT&T idiot. It will cost you, not him, if he's wrong.
                My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

my dad had unlimited and his plan didnt change. i had no data plan and needed one because i was getting a smartphone, and because of the plan my dad had for his, we even got a discount on mine.

i believe the only reason you'd need a new plan is if you were getting a phone that they say requires a data plan and you didnt have one.
                  峠 で ドリフト を して 下さい。

steam linky facebook, y0 俺 は 走り屋 です。 clickable ^

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                    I haven't heard of these changes, but I know AT&T is scumbag enough to pull something like this. An overwhelming minority of its customers are on unlimited data plans and even fewer of those actually use over 2GB of data per month. AT&T just wants a way to screw those who use Pandora and other streaming data apps all day.

Hoopeless and ric3rboi23, I'd double-check and make sure you weren't just talking to an AT&T idiot. It will cost you, not him, if he's wrong.
                    my statements all come out right, so no problem there. i have however heard that att has been throttling back unlimited data plans once they hit 2-3gb of bandwidth in a billing cycle. which basically makes them about as good as a 2gb plan, cept once you top 2gb you pay less but get slower data.

Comment

They cannot force you to change contracts....

if they won't grandfather you in, walk away.

Comment

One other thing to do would be to install a monitoring app to see how much data you're using.
                        I think the one I'm using doesn't work quite right. I'm showing a total of 2466 MB used, and 2281.6 of it falls under "downloads". That's in the first 13 days. I think last month it said I used almost 8 gigs.
                        MRT
                        37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                        30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                        27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                        Originally posted by Tippey764
                        I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                        Originally posted by deevergote
                        sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Verizon has their own app for clients to monitoring their data usage for each billing cycle, i think if you hardpress the screen it can be found under widgets.

Comment

Originally posted by Leung View Post
                            Verizon has their own app for clients to monitoring their data usage for each billing cycle, i think if you hardpress the screen it can be found under widgets.
                            True, if not, and you own an andriod device, you can download one that is simular in the market.. Data Counter Widget is a good one.
                            92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
                            2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
                            2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

I use way more than 2gigs every month with sprint and don't get charged extra I pay the same every month I stream a lot of Pandora and YouTube everyday so I would say there the only true unlimited data plan
                              Last edited by remix405; 01-13-2012, 06:47 PM.
                              MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=175158

Comment

Working...
                              X