Hypothetical question, just for fun.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hypothetical question, just for fun.

You have $20,000 to spend on a race car. What kind of racing is up to you... road, rally, drag... but the primary purpose of this car is racing.

-You must spend no more than $20,000. You can spend less, however.
    -The car must remain STOCK. No upgrades other than brakes and tires (not part of the $20,000)
    -The car can be any age... it can be used or brand new.
    -It is assumed that the car will not need any significant mechanical repair (suspension, engine, transmission all in usable condition.) This also means that you can't assume you'll find a $50,000 car with a blown engine for $20,000.

Look on various car-buying sites to gauge prices. Try to come up with a car that you actually COULD get for $20,000 or less if you were actually doing it. Assume that you will be using this car on a track against other people following the same guidelines. Try to pick the car that will give you the greatest advantage!

I'll throw my idea in once a few others have replied. I haven't decided for sure on what I would pick yet anyway.

(as I finished typing this up, I realized that such a scenario would make for a GREAT multiplayer race in Forza 3... we might have to make that happen!)

so for clarification we are basically using this 20,000 to buy a car, correct?
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Correct. $20,000 or less for a car that you'll be putting on the race track as-is.
      The as-is requirement is so that people don't say "I'll buy a $1000 Miata, drop a $500 5.0 into it, and spend $18,500 building and boosting that motor!"

$20,000 (or less) for the car, to be raced exactly as it sits, with the assumed addition of proper tires, brakes, and whatever other safety equipment is necessary for track use (those things are not part of the $20,000.... that's for the car only.)

Comment

nsx
        COUPE K24

Comment

I would want to say the chevy volt because when C&D reviewed it, they said that during testing Chevy had to throttle down the juice because the car would just spin tires all day long.

If you could harness that much power out of electricity and then use it for the track, effectively it would be game over.

Alas the Volt is 35k lol.

I would probably find a built SS or something late 60's early 70's.

You can find them for 20k all day long.

Comment

s2000 for road racing / autox.

I want an s2k within the next few years. After that hopefully I can find somewhere to settle and buy a house. Right now I'm all over.
            1993 Accord EX
            2011 Subaru STi

Comment

Ram SRT-10
              Single cab, 6-speed.

1999 BMW M3
              2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
              2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
              2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                I would want to say the chevy volt because when C&D reviewed it, they said that during testing Chevy had to throttle down the juice because the car would just spin tires all day long.

If you could harness that much power out of electricity and then use it for the track, effectively it would be game over.

Alas the Volt is 35k lol.

I would probably find a built SS or something late 60's early 70's.

You can find them for 20k all day long.
                Stock, though. I probably should have added that buying an already modified car is also a no-go. The engine, transmission, and suspension must be as they came from the factory (though top of the line is acceptable, if you can find it for the price.)

Comment

Originally posted by JoshM View Post
                  Ram SRT-10
                  Single cab, 6-speed.
                  Drag racing, I assume? You're not gonna be turning any corners with that beast!

Comment

I wanted a Subaru impreza wrx but the only one I could find less than 20k and had the least amount of miles was a 2004. It is gong for 17k and only has ~45k miles. Not bad.
                    Last edited by Leung; 09-16-2011, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      Drag racing, I assume? You're not gonna be turning any corners with that beast!
                      lol, yes. Auto-x would be doable, it just wouldn't be as nimble as too many cars.

1999 BMW M3
                      2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                      2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                      2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

3rd gen 89 20th anniversary TTA.Found one recently posted for 15k... heres some great info plus its extremely rare!
                        http://www.gtasourcepage.com/8920thTACDReview.html

Drag: With a set of slicks an turned up boost be a mid-high 11 sec car.
                        Road racing/auto x: With a set of road racing tires an a big brake upgrade it would perform GREAT!
                        Rally: Not gonna happen unless it 90% tarmac lol.
                        Last edited by SOHC-FTW; 09-16-2011, 01:44 PM.

02 Crv
                        02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                        92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                        Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          Stock, though. I probably should have added that buying an already modified car is also a no-go. The engine, transmission, and suspension must be as they came from the factory (though top of the line is acceptable, if you can find it for the price.)
                          Oh i thought we just couldn't modify it ourselves.

FACK!

NSX all dey way!

Comment

A Mazda speed miata.
                            <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

no questions asked, an NSX.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                              Current cars:
                              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Working...
                              X