What Keeps You Alert On Long Trips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Keeps You Alert On Long Trips

Heading out wednesday night to Georgia, about a 14 hour drive. Driving all night. What do you use to keep you alert. I usually just keep the coffee/caffeine going but wondering if there is something that wont make me jittery or give me gutrot.
    I've tried those 5hour energy shots but I don't think it really did much for me. Got a secret concoction, share it.

Masturbate.

But seriously, I just tell my body to quit bitching and stay awake.
    Although, the most I usually do is 4 hours at a time. You might want to take a buddy or stop somewhere for sleep.
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by short1 View Post
      Heading out wednesday night to Georgia, about a 14 hour drive. Driving all night. What do you use to keep you alert. I usually just keep the coffee/caffeine going but wondering if there is something that wont make me jittery or give me gutrot.
      I've tried those 5hour energy shots but I don't think it really did much for me. Got a secret concoction, share it.
      Nothing thats legal besides sticking my head out the window.
      Originally posted by Mishakol129
      Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Going with my wife and 16month old, traveling during the night so the boy sleeps most of the trip, otherwise i'd leave wed. morning and drive all day. We make the trip every year, I'm not worried about being able to do it, it's just after 12 hours of drinking caffinated drinks I kinda feel like shit. Yea no snow lol

Comment

i drive often after being awake all night often being awake for more than 24 hours. my drive home from work isn't too long (28 miles) but sometimes it's hard to stay awake.

Windows down, radio up, singing loudly. Though that won't work with other's trying to sleep in the car.

My best advice would be to chew gum. I mean chew it, not just leave it in your lip. You cannot fall asleep while chewing.

I always keep a pack of gum in the car.

EDIT:

to stay awake for those long periods of time I use well timed Coffee. I am a firm believer in simple drinks with caffeine such as coffee or tea used to stay awake, but not necessarily for energy. I've never really liked energy drinks.
          Last edited by mtnbikaah; 06-20-2011, 05:45 PM.
          Originally posted by deevergote
          These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

i dont see why people think they NEED caffeine to stay awake.. do a little research on different fruits, snacks and drinks that will naturally give you energy.. of course youre gonna feel like shit if you drink caffinated drinks nonstop..

and yes.. dont drive for a ridiculous amount of time.. i drove from austin to memphis (~9hrs) and stopped 3 times.. before i left, i had a small breakfast with a big ass orange juice.. then on the road, i ate a small late lunch and snacked on beef jerky, trail mix and drank a couple green teas during the drive.. honestly didnt even get tired... its kinda the same thing i did camping/hiking as a kid..
            Last edited by Mista Juice; 06-20-2011, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mista Juice View Post
              i dont see why people think they NEED caffeine to stay awake.. do a little research on different fruits, snacks and drinks that will naturally give you energy.. of course youre gonna feel like shit if you drink caffinated drinks nonstop..

and yes.. dont drive for a ridiculous amount of time.. i drove from austin to memphis (~9hrs) and stopped 3 times.. before i left, i had a small breakfast with a big ass orange juice.. then on the road, i ate a small late lunch and snacked on beef jerky, trail mix and drank a couple green teas during the drive.. honestly didnt even get tired... its kinda the same thing i did camping/hiking as a kid..
              ^^^ would have to agree on this one, eat peanuts, walnuts, granola bars, stuff thats a natural energy source.
              Originally posted by Mishakol129
              Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

turn the beat up.
                COUPE K24

Comment

speed... alot. constant shots of natural adrenaline can keep you awake for days
                  oh n u get where ur going faster

Comment

Originally posted by '93CB7Ex View Post
                    turn the beat up.
                    For some reason, my music puts me to sleep. The most I drive is about 4 hours, (from Austin to Eastland) and I like to keep it quiet. The sound of the road keeps me awake for some weird reason. Also eat little snacks, but not too much. Getting full makes me tired too. Don't do drugs, because it'll either suck while you're on them or it'll suck when you run out. Also, you can turn the A/C on really fucking high. Being uncomfortably cold usually keeps me awake. In my opinion, discomfort is better than death. Start focusing on other things, too, like things you see on other cars, on the road, etc. I like to look at license plates to see what state they're from.
                    I think just trying to keep your awareness will help a lot.

We're in the studio, stay tuned.----------(click)-------->

Comment

When I drive out to Texas and back, I usually stock up on chewing gum, granola bars, a loaf of bread and peanut butter. I drink water and on occasion, some green tea. I also make sure I have a decent meal before leaving and take ginseng.

I usually drive 14 straight, except for gas and the have to have sandwich.

Just so you know, the trip is 28 hours total.(Each way) I knock it out in a day and a half most times.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                      JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

I drive 10-14 hours a day on a regular basis, so I'm pretty used to long trips!
                        I usually just sing along to my music. Of course, I do that all the time anyway, not just when I'm trying to stay awake.

Comment

i chew sunflower seeds and spit the shell into a bottle with the A/C on full blast. caffiene doesn't work on me when driving. i once drove back from chicago after downing two of the small bottles of red bull, it did nothing but empty the remaining cash from my wallet and make me want to pee.

Comment

adrenaline like stomping on the brakes or dipping through traffic. or cigarettes
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                              I drive 10-14 hours a day on a regular basis, so I'm pretty used to long trips!
                              I usually just sing along to my music. Of course, I do that all the time anyway, not just when I'm trying to stay awake.
                              I do a couple hour to hour and half trips a day for work.. Spread over the work day (300-400 miles a day) I don't really get tired.. But the main issue I have is getting bored and I find myself driving at dumb speeds and trying to time out not to use the brakes while weaving in traffic... So I have to really catch myself to keep it slow with the cruise on.

Comment

Working...
                              X