Hot busbar is sparking - Fixed, pics inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
    I didn't think to use the meter. I remembered reading somewhere that you shouldn't use it on live voltage.

Remember, this DIY was written off of guess work.
    Your meters are canto be used on live voltage. Just make sure it is rated for the appropriate voltage.

This is how we do it at work. Live, Dead, Live.

Test a hot circuit first to make sure your meter works, test the circuit you are working on to verify it is dead, then test the hot circuit again to make sure your meter is still working properly.

The only other thing that I kind of have an issue with is connecting the neutral wires to ground because now your ground is hot.
    H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

1. Your main is an absolute mess. That would NEVER pass ANY inspection by ANY qualified individual.

2. Removing your meter in my state is indeed against the law

3. I would hire a professional to redo your wiring in your panel. I would also contact the power company pertaining to the removal/re-install of your meter.

-I work for my local utility and I can tell you what you did would have serious consequences in my state. Not only because you tampered with the meter but your wiring isnt to code.
      To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

Originally posted by phatdoughnut View Post
        Your meters are canto be used on live voltage. Just make sure it is rated for the appropriate voltage.

This is how we do it at work. Live, Dead, Live.

Test a hot circuit first to make sure your meter works, test the circuit you are working on to verify it is dead, then test the hot circuit again to make sure your meter is still working properly.

The only other thing that I kind of have an issue with is connecting the neutral wires to ground because now your ground is hot.
        What should I have done with the ground instead? There aren't any ground bars in the box.

Originally posted by SoySauceCb7 View Post
        1. Your main is an absolute mess. That would NEVER pass ANY inspection by ANY qualified individual.

2. Removing your meter in my state is indeed against the law

3. I would hire a professional to redo your wiring in your panel. I would also contact the power company pertaining to the removal/re-install of your meter.

-I work for my local utility and I can tell you what you did would have serious consequences in my state. Not only because you tampered with the meter but your wiring isnt to code.
        My wiring is a lot better then before. It might be messy, but it's less dangerous. Now each circuit actually has it's own circuit!

If you had some tips on how to make it better, I'd welcome them.

One last thing. My last box was rated at 100 amps, and this one is 200 amps. I know I need to have a bigger meter and bigger lines running to the meter from my main. How do I go about that?
        MRT
        37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
        30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
        27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
        Originally posted by Tippey764
        I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
        Originally posted by deevergote
        sneaky motherfucker

Comment

What should I have done with the ground instead? There aren't any ground bars in the box.

My wiring is a lot better then before. It might be messy, but it's less dangerous. Now each circuit actually has it's own circuit!

If you had some tips on how to make it better, I'd welcome them.

One last thing. My last box was rated at 100 amps, and this one is 200 amps. I know I need to have a bigger meter and bigger lines running to the meter from my main. How do I go about that?
          In my state you need to request a service disconnect from the utility transformer at the street or the wheatherhead. The utility will also pull the meter. Your local utility will do these. You will then go ahead and work on your de-energized service. I am not a licensed electrician and i suggest you hire one to straighten out and rewire your entire main. The wiring in there is extremely dangerous in its current configuration.

http://members.rennlist.org/warren/panel2.JPG

http://www.diychatroom.com/attachmen...lectpanel2.jpg

Those are examples of adequate installations. You do need a licensed electrician so that he can meet both local code and NESC unless you take the time to read an electricians book and properly rewire your panel. (this will take you more than 1 day)

Please read the following very carefully.
          -If you do not know what setting to put your DMM on to test the voltage drop PLEASE DONT CONTINUE WITH ANY ELECTRICAL WORK

-If you DONT KNOW what a wire is then DO NOT GROUND OR ATTACH IT TO ANYTHING

-You do realize 120/240 WILL KILL you. I also assume you dont have insulated screwdrivers or proper PPE (personal protective gear).

-Please stop at this point in your project and hire an electrician.
          Last edited by SoySauceCb7; 05-31-2011, 09:20 PM.
          To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

Originally posted by SoySauceCb7 View Post

http://members.rennlist.org/warren/panel2.JPG

http://www.diychatroom.com/attachmen...lectpanel2.jpg

Those are examples of adequate installations. You do need a licensed electrician so that he can meet both local code and NESC unless you take the time to read an electricians book and properly rewire your panel. (this will take you more than 1 day)
            It took me less then a day to get the old one out and put the new one in.

The existing wires won't allow for an installation like that, because that's what I was trying for. I can go back and make it a little neater, but I might wait until I put in my generator hookup.
            MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Since Colin closed your other thread, i wanted you to read this-

I'm actually surprised you unblocked me

I really just need to finish this off. I'll probably let a real electrician wire in the 200 amp wires.
              bwahahaa ya well i don't like having anyone on my block list because i feel there isn't any reason why everyone can't get along and accept each other on here.

Im a grown ass man, if i don't like what threads you make or what you write, ill just find elsewhere to go.

You alright though.

But yea for realz, try not to kill yourself.

Im sure all the men who have went to the electric chair said theyd take it like a man too and they still shit themselves and come out in a body bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                Since Colin closed your other thread, i wanted you to read this-

bwahahaa ya well i don't like having anyone on my block list because i feel there isn't any reason why everyone can't get along and accept each other on here.

Im a grown ass man, if i don't like what threads you make or what you write, ill just find elsewhere to go.

You alright though.

But yea for realz, try not to kill yourself.

Im sure all the men who have went to the electric chair said theyd take it like a man too and they still shit themselves and come out in a body bag.
                Does this make us friends?

Btw, when you die, you poop. It happens to everyone.

Edit: From the other thread:
                I fixed those shorting circuits. Turns out they were one circuit and the white wire had all the white rubbed off of it so it looked black. Put it on the negative busbar and all was well!
                Only lost some light bulbs, spot lights ($$) and a ballast(?$)
                Last edited by GeoffM; 05-31-2011, 11:38 PM.
                MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Working...
                X