What should I do here...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should I do here...?

My CB has been sitting for nearly 3 months now, it has a broken LBJ and CV shaft.

It's getting rusty, I don't want to do the body work and I've already replaced it with a 97 Blazer LT for my DD.

I'm up in the air with what I should do with my CB at this point, so I'm posting a poll to see what you guys think.

It has a freshly rebuilt engine and most of the suspension up front is newer.

If I keep it, I'd drop it, slap my 17s back on it (like in the picture) and gut the interior.. it'd be a toy, a rusty one at that..
    Scrap it (I'll get $175-225, cash)
    0.00%
    Sell it as-is ($500 +/- if I put the front clip back on)
    0.00%
    Fix it and sell it ($1000 +/-)
    25.00%
    Fix it and ride it ($65 + labor, if I can find someone with a press)
    75.00%
    Last edited by mak; 05-29-2011, 12:50 PM.

Bought From: MadSpleen85, jimy, CB7_ACCORD (kouzie), Chrisfrom1986
    Sold To: vinbon63, chessboxer, darkfusion42, LowNknoxville, bowzil, 1993hAccord, mcdizzle, 93accordfreak, lilb_1979, rocketman_471, Bad_dude
    Traded With: cb95spd, chessboxer, sohc em
    [ Completed | Pending ]

Hint....
    If you like it keep it
    If you do not want it get rid of it

Comment

I voted fix it and ride it, although I want to make sure you know you don't need a press. Trust me, you can use a hammer.
      MRT
      37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
      30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
      27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
      Originally posted by Tippey764
      I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
      Originally posted by deevergote
      sneaky motherfucker

Comment

man thats not too much work
        unless when it broke it messed anything up i would say your good
        get a new axle i suppose?
        and new LBJ which needs to be pressed in
        i think thats a days worth of work
        but if thats not the only thing broken idk
        -Tyler

Comment

You don't need a press to do a lower balljoint

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
            You don't need a press to do a lower balljoint
            I did the last two times I've replaced it.. it was really in there and a hammer didn't work.

Sold To: vinbon63, chessboxer, darkfusion42, LowNknoxville, bowzil, 1993hAccord, mcdizzle, 93accordfreak, lilb_1979, rocketman_471, Bad_dude
            [ Completed | Pending ]

Comment

I did both lower balljoints on a CB last week

I used a piece of 1.5" piece of steel like this and put it around the balljoint then i hammerd the fuck out of it with a small sledge, it came out pretty easy, i had to switch to a bar to hammer it out stright once it got very far out because it becamse crooked and wedged

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                I did both lower balljoints on a CB last week

I used a piece of 1.5" piece of steel like this and put it around the balljoint then i hammerd the fuck out of it with a small sledge, it came out pretty easy, i had to switch to a bar to hammer it out stright once it got very far out because it becamse crooked and wedged

Thanks Tippey, I'll give that a shot if I keep the CB

[ Completed | Pending ]

Comment

Even though it's rusty, guys?? I'm not putting the money into the rust.. at best I'll cut off the rust and ride it dirty..

[ Completed | Pending ]

Comment

You can borrow a press from Autozone.

Or use an air hammer to knock out the old BJ, then oil up the hole with engine oil and the new one should slip in pretty easy.
                    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

a press is the best way to do it. Autozone rents them for free, when you return it, you'll get your money back so just put it on a card or whatever.

Knock the old one out with a hammer and then you use this big C-clamp to press it in. Takes about an hour or so and about 20 min for an axle.

member's ride thread
                      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                      91 Accord SE 176k
                      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Did The Lbj Brake?
                        I had a lower ball joint snap and all I did was hammer the old one out ( I had to go to checker and buy a $20 air hammer) but it came out. You should sand the hole where the ball joint go's.
                        The lower ball joints you can get at checker for $15 are machined to be the right size but they coat then with this black stuff and that makes it very hard to get in. I had to grind the black finish off then tap it in with a hammer.
                        You dont need to press then in. There is a c-clip that holds it in along with the wight of the car. Its not very hard to do. I would go to the dealer and pay more for the oem one that will slide right in other wise do what I did and grind the black coating off the autozone one.
                        Last edited by thepowderblue; 05-30-2011, 04:10 AM.
                        Green EX http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176536
                        93 SE http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210486

Comment

a running car is still worth something with or without rust. worse comes worse, you can just sell it.
                          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                            a running car is still worth something with or without rust. worse comes worse, you can just sell it.
                            if gas prices spike again above $5 a gallon, a running cb with rust will be worth a pretty penny

i say fix it,ride it dirty then sell it
                            http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                              Been trying, nobody shows up..

Originally posted by bobbycos View Post
                              if gas prices spike again above $5 a gallon, a running cb with rust will be worth a pretty penny

i say fix it,ride it dirty then sell it
                              That's what I'm thinking now..

[ Completed | Pending ]

Comment

Working...
                              X