Which netbook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which netbook?

I don't need specific product recommendations, I just want an answer to this:

You have 2 netbooks, both are the exact same specs, except one has a 5400rpm HD, the other has a 7200rpm HD. The one with the 7200 rpm HD has 1GB RAM and cannot be upgraded. The one with the 5400rpm HD can be upgraded to 2GB RAM.

It would be used for internet, e-mail, microsoft office package, that's about it.

So, would you buy the upgradeable one and put 2 GB RAM in it, or would you get the other one with the faster HD and why?
    There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

i'd go for the one with the slower HDD speed and more ram. I bought my sister one for her birthday and she loves it because of how long the battery lasts.

Comment

The upgradeable memory one would be more beneficial.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
      1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
      2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
      2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
      2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
      2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

For what you need, the HDD speed and the amount of ram almost don't even matter. Either offers plenty for your needs. I'd go for the one with the lower price, or the brand that you feel most comfortable with.

Comment

slower hdd speed means longer battery life. If you could get one with a SSD, get that one.
          My Car
          FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

One is an Asus, and one is a HP. I've owned 2 HP's, and loved them both, but that is the one with the faster hard drive and no RAM upgrade possibility.

The Asus is $20 cheaper, and that's about what a 2GB RAM card would cost...so I could have double the ram of the HP for the same price. The battery life is the same between both models according to the spec sheet.

Adding another GB of ram will hurt my battery life though some won't it? So the slower hard drive will offset that I suppose.

Deev, I know even the 1GB with 5400rpm hard drive is probably fine, but I'm impatient, and don't like being limited if possible, so if I can make it faster for the same price, I will.

Here is the product comparison:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006746%2060005 1740%20600051853%20600051784%20600051810&IsNodeId= 1&bop=And&CompareItemList=772|34-157-658^34-157-658-TS%2C34-220-907^34-220-907-TS

Comment

i think having more ram would would be better on battery life because then the computer wouldn't need to load files from the hard drive to the ram constantly.

Comment

You will notice an extra Gig of ram way more than you would notice that little bit of HDD speed.

x2 on SSD though
                MRT
                37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                Originally posted by Tippey764
                I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                Originally posted by deevergote
                sneaky motherfucker

Comment

dont know if it helps but my friend whose into IT. has a hp for sale its 2 months olds cost around 4500 said you can buy something similiar now for 4,000 and is selling it for 2,000 as he just bought another and a new mac. don't know specs but it had the same processer as the mac. i dont know shit bout computers honestly and its out of my price range. i recall 3 gig of ram and everythings been upgraded..

Comment

When dealing with any netbook, having more RAM is always a good option. Hard drive speed is nice as it allows you to access your info faster but it won't make much difference. I recently went from a single core atom Asus EEE PC to a duel core version and was very shocked at the speed difference. Your processor and RAM will make a larger difference then your hard drive. Best of luck with your selection.

Comment

Just in case anyone cares, I found a better netbook that I ordered. It is the same as the Asus in the link above, but it has a dual core 1.5ghz processor instead of the single core 1.66ghz, and it has 512mb dedicated graphics instead of the integrated graphics, and it has hd audio, and a HDMI output! All of that for only $20 dollars more than the original one I was looking at! Its supposed to be here tomorrow.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...3SHIP-_-03ship

300 for what I'm getting I think is a pretty good price!

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
                        Just in case anyone cares, I found a better netbook that I ordered. It is the same as the Asus in the link above, but it has a dual core 1.5ghz processor instead of the single core 1.66ghz, and it has 512mb dedicated graphics instead of the integrated graphics, and it has hd audio, and a HDMI output! All of that for only $20 dollars more than the original one I was looking at! Its supposed to be here tomorrow.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...3SHIP-_-03ship

300 for what I'm getting I think is a pretty good price!
                        That is a good price but

NVIDIA

haha but for real, my Acer was in the same ball park price range and has similar features!

Good buy!

Comment

Working...
                        X